the game is over :)

pavoo

1 hour ago, Sundiata said:

Mmmm, dedicated servers... I think another crowdfunding campaign is in order, perhaps after the next release (or even tied to the release itself) to fund this. I'd be willing to donate a little something.

Wildfire Games does have a dedicated server, not sure how much impact hosting games on it would have, but in either case, I doubt money for the server(s) is the biggest/first issue: someone coding it is probably more relevant. And also, it needs to be decided if it's something that's wanted at all. It might seem so for this specific issue, but there are other things to think about as well. I don't know the more technical details, but if nothing else there is a greater responsibility to make sure that a server hosting many games works and is secure. If the server goes down (even for maintenance) that could disrupt many games, but if one person's internet connection breaks or they quit it just affects the relatively few people playing that one game.

• Like 1

Imo, its not worth it to host all games on a central server. All thats necessary is to host rated games. Or maybe just run the game along with the host like a client to detect quitters etc. Not sure if that would work though.

1 hour ago, Grugnas said:

i recall COD modern warfare 2 used such a technique. It is a different kind of game tho.

Even migrating the host to another user, the game would be imba, even with the AI replacing the disconnected player.

Of course the game would be imbalanced when a player leaves, but that's a different topic.

• Like 1

Age of Empires II allowed the host to leave without ending the game.  It achieved this by connecting all clients in a star topology, so none of them is specially designated as the host.  See this paper (scroll down to where it says Peer Topology):

http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs538/readings/papers/terrano_1500arch.pdf

• Like 4

On 12.1.2018 at 2:52 AM, causative said:

Age of Empires II allowed the host to leave without ending the game.  It achieved this by connecting all clients in a star topology, so none of them is specially designated as the host.  See this paper (scroll down to where it says Peer Topology):

http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/classes/cs538/readings/papers/terrano_1500arch.pdf

Can you play AoEII via internet?

(Without using VPN or tunnel things)

• 3 months later...

Yeah a p2p model would make it irrelevant who the host is after the game starts. Spring uses p2p and anyone can leave the game without consequence. Most spring games also handle redistributing a player's stuff if they crash or disconnect, and can even give it back if they rejoin the game (using server-side login credentials to verify the user's identity). Server-client model is not so smart for an rts.

• Like 1