Terrain idea

Adeimantos

One thing I'd like to eventually see in a game like this is more use of different types of terrain. There could be rough ground which slows cavalry down and that siege in chariots can't go on at all. That would add some interesting strategies as to where you can use different army types and how to plan battles' or fortress' location on the map.

• Like 1

Different passabilities would require new obstruction grids, that will increase the memory footprint but not the performance I think.

But just making units walk slower in some areas would be possible without messing with the pathfinder I believe (and units would be stupid enough to not avoid the slower areas).

Though I'm not sure if this would be used by more than few maps (swamp? shallows? sand?).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, elexis said:

But just making units walk slower in some areas would be possible without messing with the pathfinder I believe (and units would be stupid enough to not avoid the slower areas).

Wasn't this implemented at one time in the past? I remember seeing units walk faster on road/tile terrain.

13 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Wasn't this implemented at one time in the past? I remember seeing units walk faster on road/tile terrain.

3 minutes ago, elexis said:

If it was, then before my time (< 2015).  Those are just textures currently.

It was by @Radagast. I think it was using Auras or something similar, but it had a performance hit.

20 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

Now how do we get the pathfinder to be aware of the terrain effects this has been on the wish list for ages ;) but the pathfinder is not fast enough yet one of the reasons for the lag in unit movement and formations not working right.

Enjoy the Choice :)

I'm not sure how the Pyrogenesis pathfinder works, but wouldn't it calculate the "cost" of moving through each "tile" (since IIRC it uses an A* pathfinding algorithm)? If it does that, it would just be a matter of changing the "cost" depending on terrain speed.

Edited by Andrettin
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Andrettin said:

I'm not sure how the Pyrogenesis pathfinder works, but wouldn't it calculate the "cost" of moving through each "tile"? If it does that, it would just be a matter of changing the "cost" depending on terrain speed.

And therefor adding more calculation time to each iteration any arithmetic operation takes time.

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 1

On 2018-01-07 at 6:57 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It was implemented, but I think it was when Philip rewrote the pathfinder that it got removed since it made the calculations a lot more complicated (and/or made it possi9ble to do something else, I seem to recall there being a limit to the different passability types, and by removing e.g. the roads as a specific type it was possible to use it for something else).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

What I would like to see is impassable terrain or unbuildable terrain. For example on the latter, ice would not allow structures to be built on it. Allows for an ice lake map where no one can build anything on the ice of the lake.

now I cant tell if you watched that video and thats prompting this comment, or this is just quite the coincidence

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

impassable terrain or unbuildable

That should be the easiest thing to implement with regards to the pathfinder and simultaneously the most important setting. Mountains for instance should also not be buildable. Even if we fix that garrison bug that allow players to reach unreachable regions, players can still set a foundation on a mountain and units will never reach it. Might even improve performance with less tiles being marked passable.

• Like 1