Skirmish Map - Roman Road (4)

Bigtiger

Hello,

I thought I would share a map for the 0 A.D. community. This map tries to capture an area of conflict between the Romans and Gauls in proximity to the Alps.

Please Let me know what you think, as i'm new to the 0 A.D. community.

Spoiler

5a5131c1350db_RomanRoad02.thumb.png.bbb7bec064276a45c4a3b313cfae4899.png

Spoiler

Roman_Road_03.thumb.png.ab1326bbfd599560e4f9fb687b48ebc1.png

*Updated Map Image*

Spoiler

5a53de22152dc_ViaAugustaUpdate.thumb.png.d9e892813b7d350857fb6a2c1dcc7210.png

Map Download

Xml File: Via Augusta (4).xml

Pmp File: Via Augusta (4).pmp

Edited by Bigtiger
Final update for the download file. (Map Balanced)
  • Like 9

Very nice. Just care a bit about that civic center at the bottom left, that guy has way less trees than the other civic centers. Perhaps it could just be a 3-player map. But it is important that all players have about the same territory too. Other than that, we could and probably should commit it to our codebase!

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback. I'll keep in mind to balance each player with the resources. 

Question, what is the appropriate amount for starting trees, stone and metal flora for a four player map. As what is considered a lot vs not even close. Just to keep it balanced for all civs in certain biomes. 

Again thank you for the feedback.

It's not so important to have a certain amount of resources, but to have the equal amount for all players. If resources are rare, players have to use them very wisely. But if one player has more resources than the other one, or easier access to them, it won't be a fair battle.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, elexis said:

It's not so important to have a certain amount of resources, but to have the equal amount for all players. If resources are rare, players have to use them very wisely. But if one player has more resources than the other one, or easier access to them, it won't be a fair battle.

Noted, i'll be sure to apply this to future maps.

In fact I have created a ticket because I see this forum thread just being forgotton and neglected like many others: #4934.

If you want to be mentioned with your full name in the credits, please post it here or upload a patch for art.json.

Also Roman Roads had more stones on them? So perhaps a different map name or a different texture would improve the historical accuracy :-)

• Like 1

So I changed the texture that is closer to a Roman road, and changed the name of the map to Via Augusta. I did a little research on Roman roads, and darn they knew how to make some impressive roads for that time in history. My name doesn't need to be in the credits if the map is commited.

Here's a link for the Roman road I think fits this map.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Julia_Augusta

Xml: Via Augusta (4).xml

Are the PMP file needed?

• Like 1

Just now, elexis said:

Actually I just noticed an issue with (at least one) of the terrain textures used there. Perhaps @stanislas69 sees a quick fix? It only occurs when enabling GLSL:

screenshot1457.png

(Not a blocker for the map IMO)

Nah nothing I can do sadly. It's due to the usage of the grass fancy, so unless you remove it and use the non fancy version there is no easy fix. Maybe @vladislavbelov has a fix.
It's also due of a bug that's been reported in trac.

Related Tickets 

#45 Enhance Terrain Blending

#2073 Terrain Overlay Disappear with GLSL

#2953 Terrain incorrect shadow rendering

#3674 Terrain textures differs between ARB and GLSL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

Nah nothing I can do sadly. It's due to the usage of the grass fancy, so unless you remove it and use the non fancy version there is no easy fix. Maybe @vladislavbelov has a fix.
It's also due of a bug that's been reported in trac.

Related Tickets 

#45 Enhance Terrain Blending

#2073 Terrain Overlay Disappear with GLSL

#2953 Terrain incorrect shadow rendering

#3674 Terrain textures differs between ARB and GLSL

Current solution is don't use these materials, because it has wrong rendering algorithm (I have ideas only in mind, currently I'm still pretty busy with our GUI rendering). Actual ticket is #4219 (last fix was by @elexisr18890).

• Like 1

Thank you for the support for this map. Im still new with the map editor so i'm not that great at finding bugs and what textures to use. If anyone wants to take on fixing them, or make changes please feel free to make whatever changes you want. :)

23 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Going over these to learn some more about the map editor. Thanks 

• Like 1