Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andrettin

Gaulish Specific Names in Welsh/Gaelic?

Recommended Posts

The Gaulish specific names for structures and units seem to mostly be in Welsh or Gaelic, instead of in Gaulish. Are those languages used for the specific names just because it was simpler to find names in them, or is there a deeper reason to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the main reason is that Gauls and Brits were one civilisation at the beginning (Celts) as some of the folders still shows and therefore It probably made sense to have Gaelic and Welsh names as those languages are probably the closest ones we had.

If you can suggest names for Gauls though I think nobody will complain

I think @Itms is the one you want to talk to about this.

@GunChleoc might have some insights too.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

I guess the main reason is that Gauls and Brits were one civilisation at the beginning (Celts) as some of the folders still shows and therefore It probably made sense to have Gaelic and Welsh names as those languages are probably the closest ones we had.

If you can suggest names for Gauls though I think nobody will complain

I think @Itms is the one you want to talk to about this.

@GunChleoc might have some insights too.

 

Thanks for the explanation!

I have a few Gaulish words noted down here, based on which I would suggest the following specific names:

Temple: "Nemeton" (means "temple"). Source: H. Munro Chadwick, "The Oak and the Thunder-God", 1900, p. 34.

Field: "Olca" (means "arable land"). Source: Guus Kroonen, "Etymological Dictionary of Proto-Germanic", 2013, p. 125.

Woman: "Geneta" (means "girl"). Source: Guus Kroonen, "Etymological Dictionary of Proto-Germanic", 2013, p. 288.

The current name for the Temple is "Addoldy", which is supposedly Welsh, as said in this topic:

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/317-celtic-stuff/&tab=comments#comment-2916

The current names for the Field ("Varmo") and for the Woman ("Bodu") are not Welsh-sounding, but I could not find an explanation for them anywhere.

Should I create a pull request?

Edited by Andrettin
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Consistency is important. It's a bad idea if one faction uses words from different languages (Welsh, Gaelic, and Gaulish alongside each other). However, it's a great idea to use different languages to differentiate Britons and Gauls from each other, e.g.:

  • Britons: Welsh
  • Gauls: Gaulish (if possible)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nescio said:

Consistency is important. It's a bad idea if one faction uses words from different languages (Welsh, Gaelic, and Gaulish alongside each other). However, it's a great idea to use different languages to differentiate Britons and Gauls from each other, e.g.:

  • Britons: Welsh
  • Gauls: Gaulish (if possible)

At present the names are already heavily mixed. The Gaulish Fortress is named "Dun" (a Gaelic word), while other structures/units have Welsh names, and others, like the Taberna and Cavalidos, use neither Gaelic nor Welsh names. I don't think using Gaulish names would decrease consistency, specially since they fit reasonably well with some of the names already used (like Melonas and Amoridas), which are either in Latin or in Gaulish itself.

For the Britons, Welsh is a bit too modern IMO, and using actual Brythonic where possible would be better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I'm aware the current situation is quite incoherent, however, ideally it ought to be one language for one faction. If you think you could make it more consistent or historically accurate, great, feel free to go ahead :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nescio said:

Yes, I'm aware the current situation is quite incoherent, however, ideally it ought to be one language for one faction. If you think you could make it more consistent or historically accurate, great, feel free to go ahead :)

Carthagian and Iberian aren't possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no historical linguist, so I don't know any Gaulish or Brythonic (Old Welsh or Breton). It would be preferable though to use Gaulish for the Gauls and Brythonic for the Bretons :)

Edited by GunChleoc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...