Gaulish Specific Names in Welsh/Gaelic?

Andrettin

I guess the main reason is that Gauls and Brits were one civilisation at the beginning (Celts) as some of the folders still shows and therefore It probably made sense to have Gaelic and Welsh names as those languages are probably the closest ones we had.

If you can suggest names for Gauls though I think nobody will complain

I think @Itms is the one you want to talk to about this.

@GunChleoc might have some insights too.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

I guess the main reason is that Gauls and Brits were one civilisation at the beginning (Celts) as some of the folders still shows and therefore It probably made sense to have Gaelic and Welsh names as those languages are probably the closest ones we had.

If you can suggest names for Gauls though I think nobody will complain

I think @Itms is the one you want to talk to about this.

@GunChleoc might have some insights too.

Thanks for the explanation!

I have a few Gaulish words noted down here, based on which I would suggest the following specific names:

Temple: "Nemeton" (means "temple"). Source: H. Munro Chadwick, "The Oak and the Thunder-God", 1900, p. 34.

Field: "Olca" (means "arable land"). Source: Guus Kroonen, "Etymological Dictionary of Proto-Germanic", 2013, p. 125.

Woman: "Geneta" (means "girl"). Source: Guus Kroonen, "Etymological Dictionary of Proto-Germanic", 2013, p. 288.

The current name for the Temple is "Addoldy", which is supposedly Welsh, as said in this topic:

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/317-celtic-stuff/&tab=comments#comment-2916

The current names for the Field ("Varmo") and for the Woman ("Bodu") are not Welsh-sounding, but I could not find an explanation for them anywhere.

Should I create a pull request?

Edited by Andrettin
  • Like 2

Consistency is important. It's a bad idea if one faction uses words from different languages (Welsh, Gaelic, and Gaulish alongside each other). However, it's a great idea to use different languages to differentiate Britons and Gauls from each other, e.g.:

• Britons: Welsh
  • Gauls: Gaulish (if possible)

1 minute ago, Nescio said:

Consistency is important. It's a bad idea if one faction uses words from different languages (Welsh, Gaelic, and Gaulish alongside each other). However, it's a great idea to use different languages to differentiate Britons and Gauls from each other, e.g.:

• Britons: Welsh
  • Gauls: Gaulish (if possible)

At present the names are already heavily mixed. The Gaulish Fortress is named "Dun" (a Gaelic word), while other structures/units have Welsh names, and others, like the Taberna and Cavalidos, use neither Gaelic nor Welsh names. I don't think using Gaulish names would decrease consistency, specially since they fit reasonably well with some of the names already used (like Melonas and Amoridas), which are either in Latin or in Gaulish itself.

For the Britons, Welsh is a bit too modern IMO, and using actual Brythonic where possible would be better.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...