Add more human models

Lion.Kanzen

Related to this, the UV for the unit meshes should be improved. Something like this, with better proportions for the body for less texture stretching would be a drastic improvement and solve a lot of issues. It would also make these models work for WFG into the foreseeable future with minimal tweaking.

[female base texture]

image.png.05e2fa09af4d2cb1a90322612416cd96.png

The point is now you solve these issues:

- Asymmetry can be achieved. Want to have one greave on the left leg? You can have it. Does the guy have asymmetrical body paint [white ash on one side, orange mud on the other, thinking Kushites]; or tattoos running down the whole right side of a Celt or Scythian? You can do it. Archer bracer on the left arm... you see where I am going.

- Proportions are better for less texture stretching.

- You don't have to have awful seams for long skirts, dresses, and armor.

- Everything just makes more sense to the artist.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
Delete Roman example
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

- Asymmetry can be achieved. Want to have one greave on the left leg? You can have it. Does the guy have asymmetrical body paint [white ash on one side, orange mud on the other, thinking Kushites]; or tattoos running down the whole right side of a Celt or Scythian? You can do it. Archer bracer on the left arm... you see where I am going.

Mmmm, I've been dreaming about this... 

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Related to this, the UV for the unit meshes should be improved. Something like this, with better proportions for the body for less texture stretching would be a drastic improvement and solve a lot of issues. It would also make these models work for WFG into the foreseeable future with minimal tweaking.

[female base texture]

image.png.05e2fa09af4d2cb1a90322612416cd96.png

Another example, but packs all the props into one texture with the unit:

image.png

the pants... is a prop that needs animation? immtalking big pants.

11 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I have issues with this topic in Microsoft Edge. @feneur @implodedok

Stop using it. Seriously.

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Yes, please.

While I agree it would be a good idea especially for Romans,
that is a huge task that will require someone dedicated to do it.
That means updating every texture to fit the new uvmap, not to
mention ruining @wackyserious's work so far.

Having props inside the textures has the only drawback that it means
you have to load the whole texture if another mesh decides to use the
prop unless it's part of the mesh which is not better that also goes for
having the head.

About the indian pants, that's something that could be done if it has 
a good application for the main game.

5 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Mmmm, I've been dreaming about this... 

Those seams could be fixed, if someone actually cared to do it.

• Like 1

Can't old and new UV map co-exist for a temporary period of time?

We temporarily or even permanently keep the old mesh and its textures, while we slowly try to experiment and build up new contents with the new UV mapping (Can even recreate older textures, given that a good amount of dedicated people, as Stan mentioned, will work on this)

One of the reasons why I delay the textures that much, to keep up with the changes and improve it as much as possible (plus with the technique and organization used in creating the textures in the .psd, I can say that it is very adaptable to changes (for those who have checked it themselves) It has several structures for each part, base shape, texture, recolor and shadows

@Lion.Kanzen I am really sorry to be annoying but can you try to keep your references organized and not spray them all over the forums like this. You are a very valuable member of this community but I cannot use all the materials you provide if it's like this. It's just counter productive. 

Here is an example to demonstrate. Take sundiata for instance while he only has one field of experience (or at least so has shown so far) his thread is very easy to look at. I know that If I want references for Kushites I'll go there. But now with all the pers images you have given so far I have no idea where to look so it's a huge waste of time to collect things. Can you try to organize everything ?

I made a thread just for this. It's for textures and let's weapons and maybe the final camelry anims.

28 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Can't old and new UV map co-exist for a temporary period of time?

We temporarily or even permanently keep the old mesh and its textures, while we slowly try to experiment and build up new contents with the new UV mapping (Can even recreate older textures, given that a good amount of dedicated people, as Stan mentioned, will work on this)

One of the reasons why I delay the textures that much, to keep up with the changes and improve it as much as possible (plus with the technique and organization used in creating the textures in the .psd, I can say that it is very adaptable to changes (for those who have checked it themselves) It has several structures for each part, base shape, texture, recolor and shadows

Sure they can but that will make a lot of useless noise on the repository when I will update things also that means that will have to carry around halfway done work in releases. Download speed isn't that important those days but I'd like to not have three huge projects with independent files lying around for the sake of simplicity and clarity. Also If I were to leave for unexpected reasons Lordgood would have to deal with it and it's not fair.

I don't think I said this but I really like the time and effort your putting into this. And now when the time comes we will have some nice textures for units.

About 3D I think everybody can but it takes time and a lot of practise.

Just now, stanislas69 said:

@Lion.KanzenoK time to get serious. I am really sorry to be annoying but can you try to keep your references organized and not spray them all over the forums like this. You are a very valuable member of this community but I cannot use all the materials you provide if it's like this. It's just counter productive. 

Here is an example to demonstrate. Take sundiata for instance while he only has one field of experience (or at least so has shown so far) his thread is very easy to look at. I know that If I want references for Kushites I'll go there. But now with all the pers images you have given so far I have no idea where to look so it's a huge waste of time to collect things. Can you try to organize everything ?

Sure they can but that will make a lot of useless noise on the repository when I will update things also that means that will have to carry around halfway done work in releases. Download speed isn't that important those days but I'd like to not have three huge projects with independent files lying around for the sake of simplicity and clarity. Also If I were to leave for unexpected reasons Lordgood would have to deal with it and it's not fair.

I don't think I said this but I really like the time and effort your putting into this. And now when the time comes we will have some nice textures for units.

About 3D I think everybody can but it takes time and a lot of practice.

There are ideas. You are more expert in this field. take it like brainstorming.

-Can be nice have the list with reference of existent body humans, female and male.

- with visual references

- I promise order by time frame, to attract new modderS we can offer some models. that's why.

-others can be fixed by props.

If someone can remap the mesh, then maybe we can experiment on it at the time being, on some of the major 0ad mods out there, like in DE, for example. Then if something becomes fruitful, maybe we can merge it in the game in the future.

I simply enjoy doing it, and it adds joy that others use it too and also enjoy it. These are like toy soldiers for me, it delights the inner child inside me, staring at the units and playing with them in the game. :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

If someone can remap the mesh, then maybe we can experiment on it at the time being, on some of the major 0ad mods out there, like in DE, for example. Then if something becomes fruitful, maybe we can merge it in the game in the future.

I simply enjoy doing it, and it adds joy that others use it too and also enjoy it. These are like toy soldiers for me, it delights the inner child inside me, staring at the units and playing with them in the game. :)

0 A.D gold edition.

• Haha 1