Hey...

Guardian

Just dropped by to say hello and to give you my thanks for starting this project. Its a real inspiration to anyone interested in Game Development and its a wonderful idea.

I just have a few questions:

1) Is you graphics engine more similiar to AoK (2d), RoN (2d and 3d), or Empires: DMW or AoM (Completely 3d).

2) I've heard that beta testing will be scheduled at 2004. Will this be public, or only for a selected few? And how do you sign up to be one of those selected few, if there are any?

Furthermore, the more beta testers we have, the more management overhead is required to gather and accurately collate data. So we are going to need to have some kind of applicant control system to ensure that beta testers do a thorough job, provide accurate feedback and thorough QA information.

And yes, as Marcus Petrius pointed out, we need to ensure that the beta is not widely distributed, since a highly buggy, unpolished version released into the public domain will cheapen the company's reputation and the image of 0 A.D.

Anyway, we needn't concern ourselves with beta testing for at least another year. There's a great deal that needs to be accomplished first.

Cinda stupid to discuss a beta that will not be released for a looong time.

AND if the demo came out to the net, it would have been cool for you guys i think, its a free game, that people can play, why dont gibe they (us) a good taste of what the game is going to be??

Well, im sure Wijit has desided allready, so its cinda stupid to discuss this!

Like both DA and Stuart said... we will have 2 types of beta testers.

1) Serious Testers - filling out Q and A forms, we actually take their recommendations seriously.

2) Hardware Testers - Basically all we are asking is for people to play the game on their machine to see if there is any glitches with the game being played with different combinations of hardware on peoples computers.

Soooo... how its determined what type you are will be:

Group #1 - You will be invited by the head of beta testing - Phoenix_Dragonslayer. Or if send a request to him and he accepts your request.

Group #2 - We will do random signup sheets, and also use things like forum points as 'payment' for your own beta copy.

Thats about how it will work. Also this isn't for a long time too. We are talking at least a year from now. So don't worry to much about it ;)

With your level of forum involvement, I'd think that a simple nomination system among your team members would facilitate a more accurate selection of good beta testers, since people can give away currency. Besides, more posts // better contributor. But as everyone said, this is a year later... ;)