Modding Questions

Hello

I noticed some closing tags that i couldnt find an opening one for.  And also the root bone seems to be closed too early. Could be wrong though. Im not so good with this.

Hope that was even a bit helpful. :)

Hey @Hello and welcome to the forums. 

Thanks for your interest in 0 A.D. modding. If indentation is correct your missing quite a few endtags.

You can do <bone></bone> but also <bone /> if there is nothing in between.

For instance <bone name="Finger_R" > should either be closed by a <bone/> tag or by being written <bone name="Finger_R"/>

If you want I also wrote a script that generates Skeletons files from dae files automatically.  https://github.com/StanleySweet/0AD-Skeleton-Generator

On a side note I don't think you have to add the prop bones. 

Happy modding and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

EDIT: Added link

• Like 1

I got my prop fixed. i'm still not sure what the actual method is but I just made an adjustment in blender, checked the actor viewer, made another adjustment and so on and so forth until it looked right.

Is it possible to change the topic name to "modding questions" or something? I have a lot more questions and I figured it would be better to just use one topic rather than creating more.

Can you animate projectiles? I've searched all over the forum but couldn't find anything on this and haven't been able to figure it out on my own.

@Hello Yes it's possible to change the topic name. Just click "Edit" on your first post and rename it there.

Can you animate projectiles? I've searched all over the forum but couldn't find anything on this and haven't been able to figure it out on my own.

Yes you should be able to add rigs to projectile to animate them, however I fail to see why you would do that ? In the next version you'll have projectile it animations.

I got my prop fixed. I'm still not sure what the actual method is but I just made an adjustment in blender, checked the actor viewer, made another adjustment and so on and so forth until it looked right.

You need to apply rotation, location and scale, and make sure the mesh is centered in the scene (at (0;0;0))

1 minute ago, stanislas69 said:

In the next version you'll have projectile it animations.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I want my projectile to spin. It is rigged and animated but I'm not sure what to name it in the actor file, I tried attack ranged and naming it projectile but that didn't work.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<actor version="1">
  <castshadow/>
  <group>
    <variant name="Base">
      <animations>
        <animation file="hammerbro/Hammer_Throw.dae" name="Idle" speed="40"/>
      </animations>
      <mesh>hammerbro/Hammer.dae</mesh>
      <textures>
        <texture file="props/Hammer.png" name="baseTex"/>
        <texture file="props/Hammer_Bump.png" name="normTex"/>
      </textures>
    </variant>
  </group>
  <material>player_trans_parallax.xml</material>
</actor>

@Hello try this instead. Notice I changed the material to make use of the bump. Also note it won't stop turning once it hits the floor.

For the projectile you could make an armature with at least 2 bones 1 called A and the other called prop-A both in the same place but the prop-A attached (Parented) to the first bone, then attach in the XML file the axe to the prop bone (or any other thing you like to add) and animate a 360 degree rotation like a clock in the Z Axis if the axe head is in the Z Axis just 1 rotation it will took like 20 frames and then you set the speed in the XML file as an idle animation this way the prop having an idle animation it will rotate infinite times. thats my tought but i haven't tried it before. 

@Hello For the Hero "ability" you could add an aura to the hero and then specify in the aura wich units to affect if you only want to affect an specific kind of unit make sure the unit have an unique Class example= image.png.cb056e36b9ff350bffc4d5395b882f39.png to affect.

Edited by Alexandermb

@stanislas69 Thanks for trying. How about guns? Are muzzle flashes and bullet projectiles possible?

On a different topic, are special powers like calling in a bombing run, nukes, or army wide healing possible?

I also want to have a mechanic where certain units would enslave enemies instead of killing them. So when a unit is enslaved it would be replaced with a slave unit and switch sides.

Also could someone point me towards a tutorial on particle effects. I've never worked with them before but I want to learn. 

Edited by Hello