===[COMMITTED]=== The next big thing : Helmets

lucas92

6 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

@LordGood @wowgetoffyourcellphone @wackyserious

Here are all the files, ready to use.
To see the new helmets in atlas go to actors (all) and type  helmets (Illyrian hasn't been remade yet)
All helmets are made to be on the head prop point, if you need to be able to put it on the helmet prop point, I can try, but I'm not sure how much I should tweak them.
If you feel like editing some textures, go ahead.

Notice the improved armor texture, I'll commit it sooner or later.

screenshot0157.png

new_helmets.7z

The textures are much smoother and much improved. They look like nice smooth metal helmets now.

Critiques:

- Corinthian helmet cheek pieces look a little "broad" to me. I think the overall face of the helmet should taper more, and the eye holes should be smaller.

- The "Thracian Cap" helmets are confusing to me. They may or may not be accurate, I don't know. Maybe I just think they're ugly in general. lol

- Some of the helmets have cheek pieces that are modeled to be more like ear muffs. ;) Maybe revisit the geometry of those.

1 hour ago, wackyserious said:

Yeah, looking at the chart that you gathered in the reference thread.

I really like helmet 12

Helmet+development.jpg

12 is the classic Corinthian helmet that we all know and love, 6th and 5th century. 16 is a more refined version for better hearing, which I really like, 5th and early 4th centuries. It's my favorite Corinthian variation. Notice how the face and cheek pieces of the helmet have a general taper down.

#20 is an excellent example of a Thracian-style helmet, used across the Hellenistic world in the 4th and 3rd centuries. Great for pikemen, mercenary hoplites, and maybe even elite archers.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The textures are much smoother and much improved. They look like nice smooth metal helmets now.

Critiques:

- Corinthian helmet cheek pieces look a little "broad" to me. I think the overall face of the helmet should taper more, and the eye holes should be smaller.

- The "Thracian Cap" helmets are confusing to me. They may or may not be accurate, I don't know. Maybe I just think they're ugly in general. lol

- Some of the helmets have cheek pieces that are modeled to be more like ear muffs. ;) Maybe revisit the geometry of those.

Can you be more specific as to which ones have those issues by giving numbers/ screens ?

I think I'll remove the thracian helmets all together. I don't really like them either.

I still need your input to associate numbers with units that should use them e.g. 4.5. hele_chalcidean -> all hele archers. I believe Spartans used pilos mostly but I don't whose units did.

About adding more helmets I'll consider it after adding those. I don't want to have huge commits that nobody understands and then having @elexis deal with it if I were to leave unexpectedly.

@wackyserious Thanks !

@Lion.Kanzen What did I say about references ? :P

• Like 1

At least anyone who wants to keep track and possibly write a release announcement. I still don't know what was all in that Enrique new years eve commit, but he made some great video showing off the things.

If Stan leaves, that would be very unexpected indeed after still not having left after all these years of rejection :-)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Basically I'm using inheritance from variants to avoid duplication for helmets so I can have single helmets and multiple object props with minimal lines of code

Worth to be noted if you mix up the order of frequency and name attributes in the actor it won't work.

Variant files can also inherit each other which is great for things like helmet with added complexity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Basically I'm using inheritance from variants to avoid duplication for helmets so I can have single helmets and multiple object props with minimal lines of code

Worth to be noted if you mix up the order of frequency and name attributes in the actor it won't work.

Variant files can also inherit each other which is great for things like helmet with added complexity.

Hmm, not sure if this is worth the change and/or added complexity. Seems just very simple to use the actors as we have been, but I will take your word for it if it makes things easier for you. :)