College Assignment, active developers needed

Hello!

I'm Leonardo Vidote,  I'm a Analysis and Development of Systems student from São Paulo's Federal Institute.
In a assignment I have, I'm supposed to interview a open-source developer, and I would like to interview someone of your team, if possible.
It's more of a "Simple questions I have to ask" rather than a real interview, but anyways:
I wish to know why have you entered a open-source project, your motivation and thoughts on the subject (open-source community, open-source at all, proprietary codes, etc)

Do you think that open-source should be implemented as a default, and have no proprietary apps?

How do you feel about the project itself, I mean, anyone can go on and program 0 A.D in their free time, is it important that your free time is covered up in programing open-source? if yes, why?

What do you think about the ethics in this?

If possible, answer as completly as possible, and sorry for any grammar mistakes or if I occupy your time.
Thanks in advance.

> I wish to know why have you entered a open-source project, your motivation and thoughts on the subject (open-source community, open-source at all, proprietary codes, etc)

Free software is written in the interest of the user, while commercial software is written in the interest of the corporation. The latter seek consolidation until they become a monopoly and we frequently observe them working in diametrical opposition to the best interest of the user.

> Do you think that open-source should be implemented as a default, and have no proprietary apps?

Publishing software under a free license is right thing to do, but it doesn't mean proprietary software should be prohibited with force.

> How do you feel about the project itself

0 A.D. feels like a triple A game to me and I'm proud to be part of a group that so many wise men were part of and that worked on it for more than a decade.

> I mean anyone can go on and program 0 A.D in their free time

Most are too exhaused in their free time to work on such stressful tasks then.

> is it important that your free time is covered up in programing open-source? if yes, why? What do you think about the ethics in this?

I don't understand the question.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, elexis said:

> I wish to know why have you entered a open-source project, your motivation and thoughts on the subject (open-source community, open-source at all, proprietary codes, etc)

Free software is written in the interest of the user, while commercial software is written in the interest of the corporation. The latter seek consolidation until they become a monopoly and we frequently observe them working in diametrical opposition to the best interest of the user.

> Do you think that open-source should be implemented as a default, and have no proprietary apps?

Publishing software under a free license is right thing to do, but it doesn't mean proprietary software should be prohibited with force.

> How do you feel about the project itself

0 A.D. feels like a triple A game to me and I'm proud to be part of a group that so many wise men were part of and that worked on it for more than a decade.

> I mean anyone can go on and program 0 A.D in their free time

Most are too exhaused in their free time to work on such stressful tasks then.

> is it important that your free time is covered up in programing open-source? if yes, why? What do you think about the ethics in this?

I don't understand the question.

First of all, thanks for answering.
The last question means "Why is it important for you to work in a project that is open source, and why have you became part of it?" sorta

A decade ago I switched to Linux because I was fascinated by the free & open source software approach that attempted to create a real alternative to Microsofts monopoly on operating system software. But it wasn't until late 2014 when I was looking for free & open source games to play when I discovered the qualitatively best of all of them - this one. I noticed there were a few bugs here and there and as I didn't do anything besides programming in my life anyway, I thought maybe they could use someone. They could.

I'm not sure why anyone would look down on open source (in the sense of detesting open source games), but I'm certain it's a mutual relation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1