===[COMMITTED]=== Horse Update

Alexandermb

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to learn how horses or maybe most 4 legged animals walk or run. Looks like in Phalanx video the horse walk or run is like a human walking/running or stepping. One foot on the rear is balanced by the opposite side foot on the front and vise versa. Kind of natural feeling to balance their pacing. 

Nice animations and videos, hope to have this next Alpha. Would there be toggle to have a walk or run movement? I hope so because IMO pacing has something to do with unit mobilization. 

3 minutes ago, Servo said:

Nice to learn how horses or maybe most 4 legged animals walk or run. Looks like in Phalanx video the horse walk or run is like a human walking/running or stepping. One foot on the rear is balanced by the opposite side foot on the front and vise versa. Kind of natural feeling to balance their pacing. 

Nice animations and videos, hope to have this next Alpha. Would there be toggle to have a walk or run movement? I hope so because IMO pacing has something to do with unit mobilization. 

i saw other video wich say's front leg's are the same movement as a human, but the back legs are like an ostrich

@Alexandermb, like phalanx said, sorry for the nitpicking, but the chest went missing again. The upper front leg bones are positioned too much to the front, or too high, or something causing the leg to flex weirdly. The leg should stay the same size throughout the animation, and the chest remains prominently visible (and unchanged) throughout every step of the sequence. Ideally, the last bone on the hind legs (the hoof) needs to be a little bit shorter (so the hoof can bend more sharply).

5a2b218963154_Horseanimation.thumb.jpg.33c218806bf77d79b7dc0652168fcbe6.jpg

Another useful image (download and zoom):

Plate_628_Horse_Daisy_Galloping_Saddled_Clothed_Male_Rider.thumb.jpg.1c4475407a6e6cbf01ac75fce111e4ac.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 5:33 PM, Alexandermb said:

Moved slightly backwards the right leg the left one is fine otherwise in the animation will look rigid in that leg

here is the mod folder with the latest update including the 4 basic variants for the horses for easy handle.

Horse_new.7z

On 12/10/2017 at 5:36 PM, stanislas69 said:

When everyone is okay with them I'll commit the horses, then we'll see for the riders.

Looks good to me after poking around a bit. I have a few criticisms that should not delay committing these. But first, I'll thank you for creating base variants for the horses. This mirrors how things are done with the bipeds. Excellent. I also like a lot of the attack animations and 

Okay, a could of not-release blockers:

1. I think the walk animation should be a trot. The current "walk" animation looks more like a slow run. Trotting may be anachronistic, I don't know.

Spoiler

2. The capes for the riders could use some work.

3. the "dangling head" props for the Gallic champion cav move weirdly.

4. A lot of the spear models need remade to be as nice as the newer hoplite spear and sarissa. Some units, like the two-handed spear units, should use longer spears than they're currently given. Again, that can be done later, not a release blocker.

5. The capturing animation could look a little more... lively. As well as the promotion animation. I imagined the horse rearing and the rider thrusting his weapon to the sky when he promotes.

6. The death animation looks a little too fast. Just an actor tweak.

7. I have some nigglings about the UV mapping still.

8. Strange actor swapping behavior, such as my cavalry gathering meat with a slab of meat instead of a knife.

None of these are release blockers, just a wish list.

Great job though! I say commit it. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

@wowgetoffyourcellphone
I have a few things to do before committing this so this should leave @Alexandermb the time to fix them.
3. I'd rather wait for them to be fixed.
4. Make a thread and hit me up with references :)
5. I'd like to wait for those too.
7. That'd be nice to be fixed, can you be more specific ?

8. I think that's because of the recent commits 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

1. I think the walk animation should be a trot. The current "walk" animation looks more like a slow run. Trotting may be anachronistic, I don't know.

Hide contents

2. The capes for the riders could use some work.

3. the "dangling head" props for the Gallic champion cav move weirdly.

4. A lot of the spear models need remade to be as nice as the newer hoplite spear and sarissa. Some units, like the two-handed spear units, should use longer spears than they're currently given. Again, that can be done later, not a release blocker.

5. The capturing animation could look a little more... lively. As well as the promotion animation. I imagined the horse rearing and the rider thrusting his weapon to the sky when he promotes.

6. The death animation looks a little too fast. Just an actor tweak.

7. I have some nigglings about the UV mapping still.

8. Strange actor swapping behavior, such as my cavalry gathering meat with a slab of meat instead of a knife.

None of these are release blockers, just a wish list.

Great job though! I say commit it. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

1. i'm still doing that one because its a bit harder tan the slow run which is walk now i was thinking on use the trot for the heros so i'll leave them with unique animations.

3. you mean the heads in the horse neck ? i dind't touch those yet so if i get there i could change the models from the old heads to the new heads.

4. i did a longer one (just stretching) for the mace cavalry the one they are using but i dindn't make it more longer for work on it more accurate.

5. i Agree on that after i did the capturing animation i swaped inmediatly to attack, but i found a way to make it similar to enrique's by copying the animation and just fixing the legs so i will use it for the cavalry as well.

6. Noted i check later.

for the promotion animation i was thinking on the movie Alexander and those statues in my country of Simon Bolívar, but i dind't was going to get too much for Hollywood unless team approves.

Spoiler

Simon_Bolivar_%22The_Liberator%22.jpg

• Like 1