===[COMMITTED]=== Horse Update

Alexandermb

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The prop point Works fine with chestband but that skirt goes from the chest to the upper neck, or it can just be new textures/props meshes or use the same style of the cape's copying the animation file ex:"file/biped/xxxxxxxx" in any case those horse with props needs some love if the horse will be updated in any alpha

• 2 weeks later...

Update: some cleaning and blender files @stanislas69 i'll be adding crossbow cavalry animations soon for the TM cavalry included Elephant riders animation in the mod folder

Mod with files

Edited by Alexandermb
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't know if you've done this yet but the horses themselves should have their own variant files. Yea or Nay?

art/variants/quadraped

i'll add them when everything is verified and timers are correct.

added reverse spear variant and crossbow variant
image.png.e1776166af042366f94678fd1b0da3fe.pngimage.png.93b88477fb74321bffe83451b4cacb38.png

Edited by Alexandermb
  • Like 1

SO, I had someone who rides horses on my university's equestrian team review the anims.  (She is also studying Computer Graphics with me)  and she comments that the back legs of the horses in the run anim is really bizzare.  In the anim, the lower leg bends way to high up.  She suggests this video to see that.

She says the butt goes farther down when the back legs are extended forward.  Apparently it is really obvious and notable.

Just throwing that out.  I kinda noticed it as well, but what do I know about horses? :P

@Alexandermb, I actually think what makes the back legs still look a bit bizarre are the fact that in the animation, when the hind legs are at their highest point underneath the horse, the bottom of the horse's hoofs are pointing downwards at an angle of 180°, while the bottom of the hoofs are supposed to point outwards at an angle of about 135°. Basically it needs to bend a little more (it's a little detail, but it could make the anim more natural).

Another small suggestion is to add another bone to the back half of the tail, so that the tip of the tail can whip up and down more convincingly.

@Phalanx Nice vid, but the horse's gait in that vid is canter, while the horse in Alexander's anim is galloping (faster/intenser). It makes the comparison at bit difficult, though I agree that the lower half of the back leg doesn't need to come up as high it does in the anim (it should indeed still angle a little downwards at it's highest).

ps: wasn't wowgetoffyourcellphone referring to this guy's wrist:

Spoiler

image.png.d0dfeee25b71c7edb098d442aa5b68e4.png.46263eb3d27671f27ffa59fc4a23d646.png

Also, maybe:

image.png.f8c41188ad7fc7eddb2be1fdabcb9db6.jpg.f342f247553942f117007774f81891dc.jpg

You're almost there! ;) 

Edited by Sundiata
  • Thanks 1

@stanislas69 Alas, she is studying User Experience and doesn't have animation skills.  (and to be honest is very oblivious to the world of computer games.  She had no clue what Starcraft was.  :o   She had never heard of it)

@Alexandermb I don't know if you can see it, but in your most recent gallop anim. Capture.JPG.48abb2a28099d43aca64ec81cb52bdea.JPG

The lower portion of the back legs flex really weirdly.  I found different references for a gallop this time (thanks for the heads up, @Sundiata  :P )  and I found what was weirding me and her out.  In your anim, particularly the right back leg, the upper leg rotates forward till it is about at the point I captured in this still, and then the lower leg suddenly rotates downward, almost like a human leg, before contacting the ground.

Apparently, for a gallop, it is more of an extending of the back leg (the butt kinda drops to allow the entire back leg it extend further) instead of a hard hinge.

This video has a great portion at :54 that shows a nice gallop, and you can kinda see what I am saying.  

Forgive me if I'm sounding too nit-picky, I am really impressed by your work!  However the new horses turn out, I'm just excited that they won't have the horrific walk anim they have now!  FLOATING HORSES!!!  :P:P

• Like 2

@Phalanx thanks for sharing and don't worry i don't want to deliver a weird horse animations, i'm on the same side as you i know nothing about horses and yet after looking closer this week i had to add 4 more bones to the legs to make the walk look of a horse, the only one that doesn't fit yet to the 4 new bones is the galop animation the patterns are very helpfull so i will use that one i was using the same refence images but they were pictures only.

• Like 2