===[TASK]=== Celtic Unit Textures

wackyserious

2 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

I need your opinion on these, @Genava55 :)

010219 - Celts.jpg

No problem with the tattoos. 

The bronze chain mail is a problem. I don't think there is any evidence in the world for an entire armor made of bronze rings. Technologically speaking, it is not practical. As far as I know there is only small quantity of bronze rings on some chain mail armor to decorate the thing during the Roman Empire. 

The length seems excessive as well. It looks like a medieval hauberk. 

The helmet seems fine. It is a coolus model, maybe the one from Canterbury. Is this a Briton unit? It looks like you took your inspiration from a Pict outfit but entirely in chain mail. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Could I mix bronze rings with iron rings as a decor for the Celtic chainmail?

Normally it is a feature from the later period, the Roman Empire. If you want to try you can, but usually it is kinda discrete. 1 or 2 layers of rings in the neckline and in the lowest part. It is not very fancy from a long distance. 

11 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone what about the length of the arm part?

A tiny bit too long. You can find an example on the Vachères warrior statue. 

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

So I could also use the armor from the Mars of Todi statue? And the chainmail of the wounded guy that is resting on his shield.

Why not. This illustration is based on the weapons from a tomb with both etruscan and celtic items. The author choose to use the Mars of Todi since it represents an etruscan cuirass. These cuirasses are probably what could have motivated the Celts to use them. The warrior is therefore a cisalpine warrior. 

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Also, could I add pteruges on the bottom part of the chainmail, similar to how celtiberians donned it?

Yes you can. 

https://medias.monuments-nationaux.fr/var/cmn_inter/storage/images/mediatheque/mediatheque-commune/images/087glanum/602353-1-fre-FR/087GLANUM.jpg

2 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Almost done with my bronze cuirass. 

Why a bronze cuirass? It is kinda uncommon in the Italic peninsula after the fifth century. I don't think any Celts of the La Tène period could have use it Europe. Maybe some Galatian bodyguards. But thats all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

What about the shoulder part of the chainmail of the sitting guy in the illustration above? Is it accurate?

Yes no problem with this one. It is another way to close the chainmail shoulder protection, there are indication of this way in the few chainmail found.

16 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Any recomendations for Viridiomarus and the spolia opima stripped from him?

The Romans described his armor as very colorful and shiny. It could have been a linothorax or a leather cuirass because it is easier to color it. In my draft for the design of the Gauls, I took some liberty to suggest an addition of a square cardiophylax for the front part of the cuirass. What do you think?

https://www.docdroid.net/9fLYce0/gauls-design.pdf#page=12