===[TASK]=== Celtic Unit Textures

wackyserious

On 3/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, GunChleoc said:

Those are 19th century

There is some experimental work in re-enactment about the fabric motifs and techniques. Here some examples:

https://mickytissages.wordpress.com/tutoriels/tutoriel-tissage-tablettes/

https://www.archeologies.net/recherches/le-tissage-aux-tablettes-tablet-weaving.html

http://www.arkeofabrik.com/2014/05/tissages.html

https://mickytissages.wordpress.com/tissages-realisations/realisations-tissage-2010/

Spoiler

ob_a7a354_montage-tissage-cartes4x4-copi

Share this:

It is based on an archeological proposal by Hubert Masurel:

https://www.persee.fr/doc/pica_0752-5656_1983_num_1_1_3009

There is also:

Spoiler

image.png.fbd5c7c057b1d4196719ed7b3485da01.png

image.png.9d0f12ef725c8b0e0a78cf1aae211c87.png

image.png.f8724d7e4034fa051646b364706a54d8.png

image.thumb.png.b8f21dc1053f6f01cd1503097c5ea260.png

image.thumb.png.c6bbf50ae5e5d6acfe85e71af1923350.png

image.png.e1c6e1a3c26450d311865409815ed300.png

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 2

@Genava55, nice references! 

The Osprey images are sometimes a bit of a mash up of references indeed, and some are a bit outdated, but generally speaking they're quite decent, as far as historical art goes... The Gauls in 0AD are essentially a mash up of many celtic tribes anyway. I agree however that explicitly Bronze Age equipment has no place among the Iron Age Celts.

About the round shields, I'm not familiar with mainland La Tene period primary references, but mainland Celts did use round shields, they were just not as common as the oval ones. 

That Bormio relief you mentioned actually depicts a beautiful mainland Celtic(-ish) round shield (perhaps Golasecca culture):

bormio-stele-lombardy-golasecca-4-c-bc.jpg.a5aca51f9f8b25dcc64ca87843d85123.jpg

Celts of the Castro Culture in North Western Iberia also depicted warriors with round shields in some of their statues:

d83e91f8e649e8fbcda49c7c8688b6ff.jpg.87d059017807f5366916b2a51152d25d.jpg

Celts from the British Isles also used round shields. You may think this isn't relevant in terms of what mainland celts used, but one of the most famous British Celtic round shields, the Wandsworth shield, is actually decorated in La Tène style... Many Celts from this region (river Thames) actually came from the mainland...  

Spoiler

Wandsworth shield, British round shield with La Tène style decoration:

51334a39d8dfe6e0ded69793b7a3b391.thumb.jpg.7eab6eab68a29f66ce4d9128503d279c.jpg

Round shields were also used by virtually all of their contemporary neighbours, as well as their Bronze Age predecessors. I think there's also some (relatively obscure) Roman coins depicting Gallic round shields. They were indeed not common, it seems, but they were present. Remember that Gaul was populated by a very many tribes, each slightly different from the next. They were very divers in the type of equipment they used, and many influences seeped into their culture, be it Italic, Greek, or pre-Celtic European etc. The material record on Celts is by no means complete, so what could be considered rare finds today, may once have been much more common. Not saying that the absence of evidence means we can do what we like, but the existence of a few primary references, combined with the circumstantial evidence merits at least a limited use of round-shields among mainland Celts. Perhaps only for some skirmishers? 

Edited by Sundiata

@Genava55 It would be really helpful if you could help collaborate in creating an updated civilization profile for the Gauls and the Britons (A unit profile overview could do, so that there is a proper design which art contributors could follow)

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Gauls

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Britons

As far as I'm concerned as long as they are historically accurate and looking good it's great and shouldn't be lying on the forums. Dunno having specular is useful though, could be for brooch etc and also if we ever have different female levels with better/different auras for instance when garrisoned.

I plan to update the UV Layout in the future so we can have non symmetrical sleeves and that trousers are below instead of on top. It should be done with a script but I'm not sure I can pull this off alone. Especially since we still have a lot of DDS files and I don't have a non destructive easy way of importing them.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't see "green" I see a "dirty blond" or "light brown" color. Monitors may vary.

Are we looking at the same thing? Half of them seems to have grey hair; only the left most and perhaps the one in front could be called blondes.

• Like 1

These are the colors for the Celt female head's hair:

<group>
    <variant frequency="1" name="color-blonde">
      <color>232 205 123</color>
    </variant>
    <variant frequency="1" name="color-red">
      <color>224 120 16</color>
    </variant>
    <variant frequency="3" name="color-brown">
      <color>120 114 35</color>
    </variant>
  </group>

I definitely see the 3 above colors in the screenshot.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

@wowgetoffyourcellphone, hmmm, the brown 120 114 35 definitely looks greenish on my monitor. Kind of like puke-green (green-yellow), almost the color of the ground texture, which is why felt the need to comment. Those ladies need to wash their hair... With detergent, ASAP...

Spoiler

212946698_ScreenShot2018-06-17at21_32_20.thumb.png.742d7e3223004f386114265e4f611c20.png

38 minutes ago, Nescio said:

only the left most and perhaps the one in front could be called blondes.

Yeah, that's what I see. The 2 blondes looks fine.. I don't see any grey haired gals though.

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

These are the colors for the Celt female head's hair:

<group>
    <variant frequency="1" name="color-blonde">
      <color>232 205 123</color>
    </variant>
    <variant frequency="1" name="color-red">
      <color>224 120 16</color>
    </variant>
    <variant frequency="3" name="color-brown">
      <color>120 114 35</color>
    </variant>
  </group>

I definitely see the 3 above colors in the screenshot.

And here are those colours as defined above:

hair.png.858d6b222fc086295f1525fa091158d7.png

I'd say they are tan, orange, and olive. However, the screenshot colours look somewhat different.

• 2 weeks later...