===[TASK]=== Celtic Unit Textures

wackyserious

All of these textures makes me wish there was an equipment feature for the game. Actor swap using techs isn't nearly flexible enough.

With some actor shenanigans, I could see something "easily" being hacked in, actually being a lot of work, lol. Though, it wouldn't work in the ideal sense, hence "hacked." What I mean is, it would be very cool to be able to train Light, Medium, and Heavy versions of some units. Let's say you only have X amount of resources, you'd train the Light version. If you have an abundance of resources or save up the extra resources, you could train the medium or heavy versions, their textures and props changing accordingly. Promotions could still work the same way, with XP, it's just the actors would be controlled with the light/medium/heavy feature, with some corresponding stats changes. I think something like this would work better with Battalions though.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

4 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

All of these textures makes me wish there was an equipment feature for the game. Actor swap using techs isn't nearly flexible enough.

With some actor shenanigans, I could see something "easily" being hacked in, actually being a lot of work, lol. Though, it wouldn't work in the ideal sense, hence "hacked." What I mean is, it would be very cool to be able to train Light, Medium, and Heavy versions of some units. Let's say you only have X amount of resources, you'd train the Light version. If you have an abundance of resources or save up the extra resources, you could train the medium or heavy versions, their textures and props changing accordingly. Promotions could still work the same way, with XP, it's just the actors would be controlled with the light/medium/heavy feature, with some corresponding stats changes. 

Yes textures can make great difference.

8 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

With some actor shenanigans, I could see something "easily" being hacked in, actually being a lot of work, lol. Though, it wouldn't work in the ideal sense, hence "hacked." What I mean is, it would be very cool to be able to train Light, Medium, and Heavy versions of some units. Let's say you only have X amount of resources, you'd train the Light version. If you have an abundance of resources or save up the extra resources, you could train the medium or heavy versions, their textures and props changing accordingly. Promotions could still work the same way, with XP, it's just the actors would be controlled with the light/medium/heavy feature, with some corresponding stats changes. I think something like this would work better with Battalions though.

Maybe something like the way we deal with damaged templates could work, still needs coding though. Wouldn't that increasing of actors be quite problematic for the balance of the game ? If you have 5 types it's complex, but if you have 15 it's probably completely impossible to manage. Also, I guess people would just build the strongest unit anyway, wouldn't they ?

6 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Yes textures can make great difference.

Texturing is like 70% of the 3D work. No textures no cookies.

1 minute ago, stanislas69 said:

Maybe something like the way we deal with damaged templates could work, still needs coding though. Wouldn't that increasing of actors be quite problematic for the balance of the game ? If you have 5 types it's complex, but if you have 15 it's probably completely impossible to manage.

Balance? Maybe, maybe not, not that much if the stat changes are applied evenly for all civs, etc. We already have 15 variations of stats in your example with the promotions, so this wouldn't be much different. Now that I think about it, the Light/Medium/Heavy would probably have to replace promotions, unless promotions dealt strictly with 1 set of stats [attack rate, vision range, speed, etc.] while LMH would deal with a different set of stats [armor, cost, attack strength, etc.]. No overlap.Could work.

Also, I guess people would just build the strongest unit anyway, wouldn't they ?

I think the Blacksmith would be reworked. at the Blacksmith you would unlock Medium and Heavy options via techs. Light is the base cost, while Medium options add perhaps 20% and a further 20% with the Heavy option. Heavy might even add some metal to the cost or replace the wood or food cost. So, it would depend on what your economy is doing for you. I could imagine a Champion option being unlocked for some types of soldiers. Say, for the Gauls, you could have a standard swordsman available at the Barracks [which they currently don't have], with unlockable Medium->Heavy->Champion options.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Maybe something like the way we deal with damaged templates could work, still needs coding though. Wouldn't that increasing of actors be quite problematic for the balance of the game ? If you have 5 types it's complex, but if you have 15 it's probably completely impossible to manage. Also, I guess people would just build the strongest unit anyway, wouldn't they ?

Texturing is like 70% of the 3D work. No textures no cookies.

Is like sound in video, you can feel a punch in a combat scene if the audio is very good.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

What if one type of unit will use leather armor, while the other unit types will use bleached leather or white linothorax and the other one will all use chainmail?

Right now in DE the elite spearman uses leather and lino, while the champion swordsman uses chain. But you can do whatever you want in the public mod. :)

• Like 1