===[TASK]=== Celtic Unit Textures

wackyserious

Oh hey, would you look at that?

Only little gripe I have with these new skins is the discernability between ranks and unit types. Wackyserious certainly knows what he's doing in terms of design/materials. I would echo his request for useful references, perhaps have a discussion regarding the unification of say, the swordsman line and easily distinguish it by rank, and from similar spearman textures at a distance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would agree with toning down contrast for the most part, Semitransparency will apply player color at differing intensities, so you can get consistency between player colors. The real punchy contrasting elements should be used to highlight distinguishing features between different troop types, if at all

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wackyserious said:

What I have at the moment.

59fbf33515f52_110317-Celts.thumb.jpg.5bd8971861e6de660bf65173f406e7e0.jpg

Too many patterns and different colours causes a lot of noise to differentiate the unit classes, and this is from a gameplay POV, very crucial. Your brain should see the units classes in 1 second. I would go for something like the spearmen textures that you submitted to DE.

And I don't know how to explain, but I find sometimes the textures a little bit mate (specially the greek shields). There was an interesting topic of somebody that wrote things about contrast and theory colour in 0 a.d, although it was very rude.

But don't take my into account seriously, I don't know next to nothing in art.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, av93 said:

Too many patterns and different colours causes a lot of noise to differentiate the unit classes, and this is from a gameplay POV, very crucial. Your brain should see the units classes in 1 second. I would go for something like the spearmen textures that you submitted to DE.

And I don't know how to explain, but I find sometimes the textures a little bit mate (specially the greek shields). There was an interesting topic of somebody that wrote things about contrast and theory colour in 0 a.d, although it was very rude.

But don't take my into account seriously, I don't know next to nothing in art.

I did.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen