0AD on Voobly

ChaffCommanderCoffey

I know a lot of people have been having issues with the 0AD servers, and I've been meaning to ask this question for a while.  Has 0AD tried to get a hosting service through Voobly?

Voobly is a hosting platform for games and is the most popular platform for the game that 0AD was based on. Age of Empires.

I think it would make a lot of sense to try get 0AD onto Voobly, it might help the community grow, get some more activity in general and possibly help with connection issues people have had joining games. Have the staff of 0AD considered this at all already or is this not possible? I don't know all the things that would be required to set this up but  I thought it would be worth asking anyway.

Edited by ChaffCommanderCoffey

Last time I checked its about 1 in 10 persons that can't connect to every game in the lobby. That can be solved by just connecting to some other game and playing with someone else or communicating with these players that person wants to play with.

If we want to solve any issue anyone could have, WFG would have to host everything and rent one (if not more) servers.

(To solve the rating fakery issues, one would also need a dedicated client which would require more CPU power, likely much more servers too).

(Not really motivated to look at Voobly services and licenses now.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elexis said:

Last time I checked its about 1 in 10 persons that can't connect to every game in the lobby.

Are you sure? I have this UDP port issue or that STUN endpoint-thing almost every time I go in the lobby and try to connect. It usually eventually starts working by repeatedly trying to join a game, but sometimes there's no point in trying. I've had friends experience the same thing almost systematically. It kind of spoils the fun, If you're not computer-savy and just want to play a game. Makes you give up trying, especially seen as it seems to be totally random/unpredictable... 

In theory, a STUN connection should be as good as reliable. If you say that the connection is established only after retrying sometimes, perhaps the timeout in the config could be changed. (lobby.stun.delay = 500 in the user.cfg for instance), wiki/GameDataPaths

Can you reproduce that observation reliably to determine whether the config change actually influenced the outcome?

(That delay is the number of milliseconds that the appication freezes while waiting for a server response. If it's too short, the connection won't be established. But the longer it becomes, the more noticeable the freeze becomes. It should be threaded to avoid the freeze ideally.)

• 4 years later...