===[TASK]=== Stables, Workshops, and Ranges

LordGood

I remember in age of mythology, the Egyptian siege tower had a ram, and that was its primary attack against buildings, but it also shot arrows when tasked to fight troops, did the same amount of damage and had the same repeat cycle, just different animation and range.

Also that ram was committed, just cycles a bit fast, so it looks like hercules himself is in there and he's really mad at whatever's in front of his broom bus

• Like 1

8 hours ago, serveurix said:

@stanislas69 of course it's been committed, it's in the game since a22

1502997140.gif

(old one on the left, new one on the right)

lol you should play the game sometimes :P

This reminds me. I think the way player color is handled on the Assyrian Ram is kind of weird, not very consistent with other objects.

12 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

there's an inconsistency with file naming. Should all be Stables or Stable? Think it should be Stables, with an 's'.

10 hours ago, LordGood said:

I just kept accidentally adding the s at the end lol. fixing all that'll be a nice time sink

oh boy

Nono, I meant it should have an s at the end, but some don't. lol

10 hours ago, Nescio said:

Keep in mind there also exist elephant stables. If someone intends to start implementing a consistent naming scheme, maybe start with “art/actors/structures/mauryans/stables.xml”; elephant_stables.xml and cavalry_stables.xml would seem appropiate names.

The coexistence of “civic_centre” and “civil_centre” alongside each other is also interesting; personally I prefer just “centre”, because it's shorter to type :)

art/actors/structures/spartans/ seems to be unique: it has both a “civic_center.xml” [sic] and a “civic_centre.xml”

It would be good to unify and logically rename things, though I am sure it would be a minor pain in the butt.

Logically, it would be stables_cavalry.xml and stables_elephant.xml. And all mentions of "civil_centre" renamed to "civic_center," though I am sure that will break quite a few things, like maps and whatnot, and will be a pain to track down all the bugs. May be worth it though. *sigh*

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This reminds me. I think the way player color is handled on the Assyrian Ram is kind of weird, not very consistent with other objects.

Yes the colors are hard to recognise : I think it's because on those shields (or drapes ?) there is an extra semi-transparent dark texture, and that changes the apparent color (blue looks black, teals looks blue, red and orange look brown, etc.).

When stables are committed to SVN I'll take them and put them in Vox Populi, corral tech is a placeholder for something more logical

I'll skip the ranges and siege workshops as those are huge changes, instead everyone can play the Persian way for now (infantry from barracks, cavalry from stables)

This will basically solve any AI behaviour problems mentioned by @Servo

P.S: Will AI behaviour have to be changed for it to build and use stables? If so I need to add those too.

8 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Archery range for non archery units?

Romans only have 2 units.

I know what Ima do for DE. Base game can flail.

Basically, I am going to try to come up with at least 2 units for each of these buildings, except Elephant Stable, for each civ. If I can't come up with at least 2 units for each, then I'll just throw the extra 1 into the barracks or make it the Civic Center unit, depending on context.

To emphasize that each civ has its own military focus I will do something like this:

Since the Persians have an archer and cavalry focus, I will include the promotion techs for each ranged unit at the Archery Range and for each Cavalry unit in the Cavalry Stable. The Barracks will include no promotion techs, few techs at all really. Romans, they get a bunch of Barracks techs, but no Archery Range and Cavalry Stable techs. You can go on down the list and see how easy it would be to allow, say, the Athenians to have a generic Greek Archer, aka Toxotes, and give them access to that type of unit, but clearly the upgrades and promotion lines will be heavily given to the melee infantry units at the Barracks, mainly to Hoplites. Actually, I'm going to make the Gymnaseion the Athenian Barracks, but that's beside the point. ;)

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I know what Ima do for DE. Base game can flail.

Basically, I am going to try to come up with at least 2 units for each of these buildings, except Elephant Stable, for each civ. If I can't come up with at least 2 units for each, then I'll just throw the extra 1 into the barracks or make it the Civic Center unit, depending on context.

To emphasize that each civ has its own military focus I will do something like this:

Since the Persians have an archer and cavalry focus, I will include the promotion techs for each ranged unit at the Archery Range and for each Cavalry unit in the Cavalry Stable. The Barracks will include no promotion techs, few techs at all really. Romans, they get a bunch of Barracks techs, but no Archery Range and Cavalry Stable techs. You can go on down the list and see how easy it would be to allow, say, the Athenians to have a generic Greek Archer, aka Toxotes, and give them access to that type of unit, but clearly the upgrades and promotion lines will be heavily given to the melee infantry units at the Barracks, mainly to Hoplites. Actually, I'm going to make the Gymnaseion the Athenian Barracks, but that's beside the point. ;)

So... Can we assume your are coming back to modding ?

On 24/10/2017 at 7:32 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

there's an inconsistency with file naming. Should all be Stables or Stable? Think it should be Stables, with an 's'.

On 25/10/2017 at 8:33 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Nono, I meant it should have an s at the end, but some don't. lol

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

k, then:

barracks

stable

elephant stable

archery range

right?

Stables should be with an s, not without; we also have barracks, not a barrack.

On 25/10/2017 at 8:33 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It would be good to unify and logically rename things, though I am sure it would be a minor pain in the butt.

Actually I wouldn't mind going through all files to implement a logical naming scheme and upload it to phabricator, provided someone is willing to review and commit it. Having consistent names makes things significantly easier for future additions (and mods).

Edited by Nescio
ce