===[TASK]=== Stables, Workshops, and Ranges

LordGood

If you're depending on defence towers as a primary means of defence, you're bound to end up disappointed, as you should be. These towers were historically relatively rare, and primarily used to scan the horizons, in my understanding. They're more of an RTS-convention, and don't need to be overpowered imo. Sentry Tower → Defence Tower → Fortress is a beautiful progression of available defensive structures, and the Fortress should be the cream of the crop: very strong with heavy territory influence. This can be balanced by a very high build cost so they can't be spammed.

4 hours ago, LordGood said:

I'd personally make them territory roots, you can control a lot of land with a fortress, and generally speaking that's what they've always been for. In the countryside to extend your reach, or in a city to serve as a citadel so the whole city doesn't fall with the CC

Yes, I like that a lot! The fortress is a late game structures so the CC will remain important in the early game and can remain the cheaper default means of expansion in late game. The fortresses can become more expensive but more formidable.

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

Yes, I agree; something similar I've implemented in my 0abc mod:

• Village phase: outposts and palisades
  • Town phase: sentry towers and turf walls
  • City phase: stone towers and city walls

Outposts can be upgraded individually into sentry towers, sentry towers to stone towers; walls can not be upgraded. Fortresses do not train anything, they are just defensive structures. And the AI actually builds more fortresses than I do, protecting its borders with them, as is historically accurate.

Unfortunately the AI does not construct walls nor wonders (neither in “0 A.D. Empires Ascendant” nor in 0abc); if it were capable of handling those, it would certainly be a more formidable opponent.

PS Let's be careful not to get involved into another off-topic discussion :)

Edited by Nescio
ce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sundiata said:

If you're depending on defence towers as a primary means of defence, you're bound to end up disappointed, as you should be. These towers were historically relatively rare, and primarily used to scan the horizons, in my understanding. They're more of an RTS-convention, and don't need to be overpowered imo. Sentry Tower → Defence Tower → Fortress is a beautiful progression of available defensive structures, and the Fortress should be the cream of the crop: very strong with heavy territory influence. This can be balanced by a very high build cost so they can't be spammed.

Yes, I like that a lot! The fortress is a late game structures so the CC will remain important in the early game and can remain the cheaper default means of expansion in late game. The fortresses can become more expensive but more formidable.

cheaper expanding extra defensive building seems so wrong, in particular if it is root and can be built elsewhere. Would be fun to lose everything and staying in game at same time because of a fortress with no productionqueue.

Although the historical accuracy, defense towers should be used for a purpose in the game flow otherwise they would have no reason to exist in a game at all but in a visual epic novel or as scenario decoration.

I remember when rams couldn't attack units, elephants were soft targets for arrows, and defensive buildings all had 24 attack with no build restrictions. That was before capturing too lol.

good times, Mauryans had a hard time with that

screenshot0162.png

Edited by LordGood
lol rams could always attack buildings, it was units they were helpless against
  • Like 5

It's real good for getting consistent results, and its all contained in one pack which is a plus. Downside being i have to split and mirror and do all kinds of weird stuff with the mesh to get it to look good. Light wood is nice and interesting but I cant rely on it for contrast like with the others. Also lack of decorative embellishments have me re-purposing frieze and capital patterns

I suppose it could be worse. Could be the Greeks' 5 different texture files eeeugh. I'm not looking forward to the Macedonians

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

there's an inconsistency with file naming. Should all be Stables or Stable? Think it should be Stables, with an 's'.

Stables, but actually the old design didn't have any stables. https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ArtDesignDocument
I guess they would have called it iber_st or something similar. Maybe they had a filename limitation at the time maybe @Wijitmaker knows more.

Keep in mind there also exist elephant stables. If someone intends to start implementing a consistent naming scheme, maybe start with “art/actors/structures/mauryans/stables.xml”; elephant_stables.xml and cavalry_stables.xml would seem appropiate names.

The coexistence of “civic_centre” and “civil_centre” alongside each other is also interesting; personally I prefer just “centre”, because it's shorter to type :)

art/actors/structures/spartans/ seems to be unique: it has both a “civic_center.xml” [sic] and a “civic_centre.xml”

Edited by Nescio
centres

Its really nice to follow threads on Art like this one and Alexander's. Hope these new awesome structures can be incorporated in the next alpha or any mods.I can't wait to play any mods having these new structures and Alexander's new siege and other units/animations. Please don't make Rams fire arrows/projectiles if theres no range unit garrisoned/unit animations.

I like to shuffle play all the civs except Mauryans due to their houses  looking like Indie though they have nice design. One Seleucid house is too plain and another Carthage house quite low.

1 minute ago, Servo said:

Its really nice to follow threads on Art like this one and Alexander's. Hope these new awesome structures can be incorporated in the next alpha or any mods.I can't wait to play any mods having these new structures and Alexander's new siege and other units/animations. Please don't make Rams fire arrows/projectiles if theres no range unit garrisoned/unit animations.

I like to shuffle play all the civs except Mauryans due to their houses  looking like Indie though they have nice design. One Seleucid house is too plain and another Carthage house quite low.

Assyrian_Attack_on_a_Town.jpg

2 minutes ago, Servo said:

There are all being included so far.

• Like 1