SoundFX : Missing Sounds

Lion.Kanzen

Are there any sounds left to be made? I could make them, by the way, I’m really interested to make some music for the game, I can make indigenous music as well as voice over for the Persian race as I’m Persian myself. Although I was wondering how I would be credited, of course I don’t expect to get paid for this as this is a game I genuinly enjoy playing, but it’s important for me to get credited for any music piece I contribute. (I’m a qualified professional composer)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain_Rodmon said:

Are there any sounds left to be made? I could make them, by the way, I’m really interested to make some music for the game, I can make indigenous music as well as voice over for the Persian race as I’m Persian myself. Although I was wondering how I would be credited, of course I don’t expect to get paid for this as this is a game I genuinly enjoy playing, but it’s important for me to get credited for any music piece I contribute. (I’m a qualified professional composer)

Yeah you need to contact @OmriLahav by email so he can hook you up on the music guidelines :) feel free to post it on the forums too to get criticism.

Here is a non exhaustive list of sounds 

You might also want to get in touch with @Samulis who recently started working on sounds as well. I'm sure you'll figure something out.

Welcome to the forums !

Hi, @Captain_Rodmon! I'm working on generating a new list of exactly what is needed for sound effects, updated to match the current content of the game. Anything white or purple on this sheet is eligible for new sounds, although I've been on a field recording trip and need to update what has been recorded on the spreadsheet still.

Let me know if anything strikes you as interesting or convenient for you to record/create so we can coordinate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NmcwPjz5FWncXdeb0F3YQQVqxnILa0Q3n_D2a9yfu3Q/edit?usp=sharing

If you can record voice lines, I can cut and master them for you. The specific vocabulary currently used in the game is listed below-

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Audio_Voice_List

Make sure you record the lines in a quiet space with as little reflections/room sound as possible, to best match the current game audio. For future-proofing, feel free to deliver a few different inflections per each line.

Keep in mind that we're trying to match the way we believe the ancient dialects might have sounded, rather than modern pronunciations (e.g. in Latin all the c's are hard 'k' sounds).

42 minutes ago, Samulis said:

Hi, @Captain_Rodmon! I'm working on generating a new list of exactly what is needed for sound effects, updated to match the current content of the game. Anything white or purple on this sheet is eligible for new sounds, although I've been on a field recording trip and need to update what has been recorded on the spreadsheet still.

Let me know if anything strikes you as interesting or convenient for you to record/create so we can coordinate.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NmcwPjz5FWncXdeb0F3YQQVqxnILa0Q3n_D2a9yfu3Q/edit?usp=sharing

If you can record voice lines, I can cut and master them for you. The specific vocabulary currently used in the game is listed below-

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Audio_Voice_List

Make sure you record the lines in a quiet space with as little reflections/room sound as possible, to best match the current game audio. For future-proofing, feel free to deliver a few different inflections per each line.

Keep in mind that we're trying to match the way we believe the ancient dialects might have sounded, rather than modern pronunciations (e.g. in Latin all the c's are hard 'k' sounds).

Would you mind giving me feedback on those =>

Spoiler

On 5/30/2018 at 11:09 PM, stanislas69 said:

On 5/4/2018 at 2:30 AM, Djedptahiuefankh said:

No problem!  Glad to help out!--unfortunately I don't know any Meroitic...it's a cool language though, from what I hear.  If you have a ton of time, there's this grammar that people really like: https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/the-meroitic-language-and-writing-system/D1534C93DCCA955D82E0594CE92598FC

@Sundiata I'm having trouble figuring out what language you used for the ethnonyms in your unit translations?  Are they (ie: Noba etc...) from the Egyptian, Meroitic, or Greek?  Also it would be really cool to see if the names could appear in hieroglyphs (see my previous attached file).  I'm happy to type them up, if there is support for the hieroglyph section of unicode in the game's fonts.

Off the top of my head, here are those phrases for the recordings:

For the IPA (not sure if you're familiar with it), the apostrophe (') means the syllable after it is stressed, and the colon (:) means the vowel is long (like the difference between the Greek epsilon and eta).  The other symbols can be looked up on wikipedia (and usually have nice sound clips)

Late Egyptian IPA
What is it?             Ya-merak iḫ? ja'merak ix
My lord?                Payi Neb? pa:'ji: neb
I will walk             Tu-i r ḫantaš tu: i: r 'xantaʃ
I will go out against them Tu-i r šem r-šoʿ-san tu: i: r ʃem r 'ʃo:ʕsan
I will build            Tu-i r qode tu: i: r 'qo:de
I will work land [lit. Dig a canal]    Tu-i r garag-meru tu: i: garag'me:ru:
I will gather together  Tu-i r ʿawo tu: i: r ʕa'wo:
I will herd             Tu-i m mini tu: i: m 'mi:ni:
I will fish             Tu-i m weḥʿa-remu tu: i: m weħʕa're:mu:

I will attack!          Tu-i r ʿaḥo tu: i: r ʕa'ħo:
I will repair           Tu-i r ʿayin se tu: i: r ʕa'ji:n se:
I will hunt             Tu-i r boḥas tu: i: r 'bo:ħas
I will heal            [Lit. Live, Prosper, and Be Healthy!] ʿOnḫ, Waḏo, Sonb! ʕo:nx wa'dʲo: 'so:nb̩
I will march!           Tu-i r moša tu: i: r 'mo:ʃa
I will retreat!         Tu-i r poẖer tayi wot tu: i: 'po:xer ta:'ji: wo:t
Battle cry             [Lit. We are like Sakhmet in her rage!] Tu-en mi Saḫmet m-tayes ot! tu: n mi: saxmet m ta:jes o:t
I will garrison Tu-en ẖar peru tu: n xar peru:

33 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Would you mind giving me feedback on those =>

Reveal hidden contents

There's a rather severe ground loop/hum in the background of those voices (most noticeable in the 3rd clip). It's possible to at least mostly remove with some notch filtering or a good notch-based denoiser plugin, but I would need the original full-length recording to do it well.

More preferable would be a do-over with the ground loop/hum fixed before recording (it is often a result of a cheap mic or an improperly wired or unbalanced cable), but I understand that is not always possible. Obviously anything I do to the audio is a destructive process; too much processing can be just as bad as too little.

There is also quite a bit of a volume difference between the clips, but that can be fixed pretty easily in post, of course. :)

3 minutes ago, Samulis said:

There's a rather severe ground loop/hum in the background of those voices (most noticeable in the 3rd clip). It's possible to at least mostly remove with some notch filtering or a good notch-based denoiser plugin, but I would need the original full-length recording to do it well.

More preferable would be a do-over with the ground loop/hum fixed before recording (it is often a result of a cheap mic or an improperly wired or unbalanced cable), but I understand that is not always possible. Obviously anything I do to the audio is a destructive process; too much processing can be just as bad as too little.

There is also quite a bit of a volume difference between the clips, but that can be fixed pretty easily in post, of course. :)

I wanted to buy a blue Yeti but I didn't know if it worth it.

For now I use this setup :)

15308282666783094223578610100101.jpg

31 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

And then substract the two sounds ?

Not quite, it is used to 'train' the denoiser, or, on the more basic side, more easily figure out where to put the notches on the notch filter.

Denoisers which are trained like this are good at reducing or removing continuous noises, such as broad-spectrum noise (think: wind or rain), and slightly lesser so, but still decent at removing continuous tones (like a motor or computer fan). Some function by inverting the audio like you suggest, but these mess with phase and can have some unpleasant artifacts. Others (e.g. my current favorite, Brusfri) are sort of like massively parallel notch-filtered expanders which look at the volume of the signal at each frequency range and expand or pass through the band depending on the level. These tend to treat the sound more naturally and with almost no artifacts.

Edit: keep in mind, everything done in post-processing is destructive. It is always more favorable to have a better recording with less noise in the first place if it can be achieved. ;)

I think your setup is workable, although I personally prefer wired microphones to wireless. Every single thing (mixer, effects, transmitters/receivers, separate preamps, etc.) you add to the signal flow (the path your audio goes to get to your computer) is just another thing which can go wrong or pick up interference, so I tend to keep it minimal: mic -> interface -> computer.

USB mics can be good, but because they have to include the analog to digital conversion inside it, the mic is always going to be limited to whatever chip they can afford to put in there. I tend to recommend having a XLR mic for that reason unless you are absolutely sure you will never need to record more than the noise performance and general quality they provide. On the plus side, the USB mic is much more fool-proof than a more professional setup, which makes it much more favorable for a hobbyist.

My general suggestion for a clean, semi-pro recording is something like a Rode NT1-A through a Scarlett Solo (or 2i2) or Clarett 2-pre. If you prefer the way your current dynamic mic sounds to a cardioid, something like a Shure SM-58 or Rode Procaster would work well. Each voice and use case may work better with one mic or another, sometimes cheaper or more expensive. In the best case, several mics should be tried until the 'right' one is found, but often just finding one that does the job well enough and sticking with it is the best idea. :)

At a more budget-friendly level, the Blue Yeti works quite well, or the Rode NT-USB. Cheaper still would be the classic stand-by of internet voice actors, the Blue Snowball.

Edited by Samulis
  • Like 1

I believe the humming sound is because of the microphone being wireless. So not much I can do there. 

If I manage to get the denoise to work I could record voices for the Kushites for starters and then using the same process other civ's 

Those were my first two voice recordings. It's done with audacity as I had nothing better around and it did the job :P

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

I believe the humming sound is because of the microphone being wireless. So not much I can do there. 

If I manage to get the denoise to work I could record voices for the Kushites for starters and then using the same process other civ's 

Those were my first two voice recordings. It's done with audacity as I had nothing better around and it did the job :P

I can do the denoising for you if you'd like. Record the voices in a single take (remember to leave some silent/motionless time at the start) and send it over, and I'll send you back the denoised audio.

Recording software doesn't really make a difference, all it does is capture the digital signal, so Audacity is perfectly fine for the job of voice recording. :)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...