Sound- and Musicdesign

Fastel

Hi I want to contribute, to maybe become a member of the Soundteam.

My nowdays specialization shall be the "virtual orchestra". I try to make a sheet sound as good as it can - and so the gods allow - fool somebodys ears by making that music sound natural.

I dont know if you're still wanting to have everything made by real instruments. And I even dont know if you have the budget for musicians/orchestra... but if you can imagine to use virtual instruments (and that seems to be a state of the art in modern media) - then I would like to help you.

Here are some examples of my work

(original composition by Modest Mussorgsky - made with Virtual Instruments. Thats what I'm working these days)

And I know it doesnt match to the ancient setting but... hey its just a demo: (based on a Duke Nukem Track from 95. arranged by me. Little video cut by me ;) )

Ok, but I could create some effects. I'm used to recording and systhesizing as well.

About me: music student, sauerkraut, double bass, schnaps

Both ;)

Music would be more easy as that is my main competence.

Does "sound team" mean the implementation of existing sounds? I never worked with Fmod or Wwise so it would take a lot of time to be able to be useful to the team.

Creation of sounds would be possible...

• 2 weeks later...
On 20.9.2017 at 11:46 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

We   havent sound leader yet.

mostly of guys says that about start to work, but they disappear.

Ok I start work. .... ;)

Can you please tell me something about the hierachy of the project? With whom do I have to keep contact and discuss about technical issues. Perhaps when samples are to long or some aspects need rework ect. Is there a core staff who would feedback what I'm doing?

I started work some days ago when I had some beer at a campfire. (THATS what I call to work) I recorded some of the sounds in 3 different steps of intensity. So now there is what I've writte obove: I have 10 minutes of campfiresound but need a programmer who tells me where to upload, what to cut and all these technical aspects. Its my first time you know so how does it works?

About the other sounds: my father has a big workshop/garage. In some weeks, I could do a recording session there.

Edited by Fastel

On 30/09/2017 at 4:09 PM, Fastel said:

Can you please tell me something about the hierachy of the project? With whom do I have to keep contact and discuss about technical issues. Perhaps when samples are to long or some aspects need rework ect. Is there a core staff who would feedback what I'm doing?

Hello and welcome! Nice to see someone interested in the audio department. For music, you should ping @OmriLahav as mentioned above. For sound effects, you can contact @Pureon and myself. But in general the community will give you feedback, not only the core team.

On 30/09/2017 at 4:09 PM, Fastel said:

I have 10 minutes of campfiresound but need a programmer who tells me where to upload, what to cut and all these technical aspects. Its my first time you know so how does it works?

First of all, where in the game do you think the sound should go? The programming side of things will depend very much on that. That is also part of your creative liberty :)

Finally, don't forget this as soon as you have some final product (or before):

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2.10.2017 at 6:00 PM, Itms said:

For sound effects, you can contact @Pureon and myself. But in general the community will give you feedback, not only the core team.

First of all, where in the game do you think the sound should go? The programming side of things will depend very much on that. That is also part of your creative liberty :)

Ok, so I tought that I juste worked through every point of the list of Lion.Kanzen.

And where to upload for critics and suggestions? I mean - is there some kind of dropbox folder or something? Sorry its my first time :D

=>  I'm "on the road" these days. I continue work later in October.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fastel said:

And where to upload for critics and suggestions? I mean - is there some kind of dropbox folder or something? Sorry its my first time :D

You can upload your work to the forums, or, if it's too heavy, use a file hosting service like dropbox, framadrop, etc. For sounds Soundcloud works as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, the Sound-Design-History of 0ad seems to be verry complicated because of so many people worked on that years ago and its not easy for me to oversee everything.

There are already hundreds of sounds. And that creators were just "ghosting"?

Here are some Sounds from yesterday and todays work. Its is verry "alpha" preview like...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ly7iscpe4mbm24o/1 Alpha.rar?dl=0

• Like 2

This sounds very good for a first attempt, good job (y)

We already have full music tracks for winning and losing, so I don't think we are in need in this area. I like the notification sounds though, they fit very well the game IMO! The Attack ones lack a bit the "emergency" feeling to be good attack notifications, but I totally imagine them for message notifications, or for game start...

We already have some sounds for this kind of situations but we'd need a roadmap of the ones that are missing, or that could be improved. Do you think you could help us in this "organization" area, before tackling the actual production of sounds? As you say it's difficult, even for us, to see the big picture.

• Like 1