Territory markings missing on OSX

jonbaer

Yeah the territory boundary lines are not drawing on the terrain for some reason.

I even enabled m_DebugOverlay = new TerritoryOverlay(*this); and I could see the are being computed, just the borders are not being drawn :-\

Feels like something is not being done on Init() for some reason.  I would have a hard time thinking this is only an OSX issue though, does any SVN build on Windows/Linux who could verify?

The territory is most probably computed correctly in the simulation, because the minimap shows it correctly. Must be a rendering bugs.

If you know that its between 19000 and 19500, try a bisect, i.e. test 19250 and so forth, shouldn't be too many steps.

(But if I had to guess, perhaps it was that CUDA update you spoke about)

• Like 1

I don't think there are any nightly builds for OSX (I could be wrong) ... just to confirm I threw away my SVN copy and grabbed a GIT copy, built OSX libraries, updated workspaces, make -j3 and still no territory markings, then tried the Official Release DMG and there were marking (so it wasn't the CUDA update like I suspected).

Would be great if someone w/ a Mac could build + confirm this as an issue before digging more.

10 hours ago, Servo said:

Oh ok any link to download? i might try coz i like to play on svn too

No sadly MacOs is like Linux there are too many variants (in versions) to make autobuilds worth it. So I'm afraid you'll have to install X-Code and build it from source.

Edited by stanislas69

OS X or macOS or whatever that thing is called now, would work with just a single build (we do ship just one for releases). But as anyone who followed any recent (and I'm talking years here) release process might have noticed, the number of people running that OS are either unavailable or unable to produce builds. And there just aren't enough users (read artists) for anyone to deal with the pain of making it easier there, especially since producing such builds would need some apple hardware if we want the whole thing to be legal. So the easy way out is to maybe keep the build working (which at least for some things is due to some BSDs sharing some of the libraries and compilers).

As for the actual issue, have you tried doing a clean build of all libraries and possibly checking that driver you are using?

• Like 1

If I go back on the builds I eventually end up running into what looks like a Spidermonkey related issue, even if I trash the library and rebuild I end up getting this ...

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "void ScriptInterface::ToJSVal<long>(JSContext*, JS::MutableHandle<JS::Value>, long const&)", referenced from:
      bool ScriptInterface::SetProperty<long>(JS::Handle<JS::Value>, char const*, long const&, bool, bool) in libengine.a(Replay.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

Usually what I end up doing is git pull <revision> then ./clean-workspaces, ./build-workspaces, make clean, make build.  I have already tried multiple CUDA drivers, so I am stumped.  I would seriously not be surprised if this was something due to an Xcode related issue of some type.  I have gone back to playing the release build instead since it's a bit hard to play w/o territory markers.

I really can’t understand much of the technicalities being discussed here but I’m trying to recall if this thing happened to me. I’m not sure if I make sense but seemed had happen when using OS X in the beginning. I was trying to retrieve all previous posts to no avail. 

Currently Mac is my preference coz my windows 10 suffered another crash last night and would probably buy (been planning)a new Mac 21”. I have not much issue on OS X really and AFAIK they work very well than windows. It freezes sometimes but I never experienced it totally stopped. Never had problem playing MP too ever since. 

I will try to duplicate his problem if someone can guide me through download even if I need to buy drivers or software (maybe not exceeding $50).

Nothing on OSX has to be purchased, in fact it's pretty straight forward I think.  

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions#OSX

The problem w/ testing something like render bugs is that you won't really know they happened w/o seeing them for yourself, so just because something built OK it doesn't mean everything visually is right.  I am planning on moving to a Linux machine full time soon.  These OS updates break nearly everything (homebrew, .dotfiles, etc) on every release and not worth the development headache.  Post back if you have any issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Humnn I’m trying...

@stanislas69 kind of challenge for a novice guy. Done up to cmake, Phyton is latest now idk how to obtain the source code. Can’t seem to find the site to download or am I talking any sense? I’m trying to download this Versions 1.4 with svn 1.9 support for Mac. 

Edited by Servo