How can I make a game like this one? What knowledge do I have to have and what libraries should I use. Also, how do I do AI

I will tell you the whole reason that I want to start from scratch. A few years back I found my first RTS game, Empire Earth. From there I got many more games like that and I decided that I would like to create a game similar to that, the graphics could just evolve as the game was further developed. I then found this game, the year is like 2016 and I start developing with it. I just wanted the pyrogenesis engine without the game. I got frustrated, so I came here.

Yet you can't do much without the simulation components of the public mod.

If you first create a mod, you can distribute something that only contains your files. Afterwards you could remove art files from the public mod and keep the things (like simulation code).

Given that in some future century we might want to start coding on the 500 A.D. thing, it might be reasonable to separate 0AD logic from the things that are close to the engine in a separate mod (maybe a "pyrogenesis" mod?)

So people can easily exclude the 0AD GUI, textures and models while still using the logic to move units, health and attacks which is present in about every RTS and non-RTS game.

The GUI is currently a monolith. The spirte and style definition files should not have the name of the style in their names, i.e. ModernTextLeft should become TextLeft. That's the only way how the themes can become independent from game code. Some of the GUI functions are usable for any mod, but many are hardcode 0ad or rts logic.

At last we annoyingly have some 0AD flavor in the C++ code, which should also be removed eventually (for instance properties of 0ad game properties in the lobby code iirc).