How can I make a game like this one? What knowledge do I have to have and what libraries should I use. Also, how do I do AI

I have been trying to make a game like this one because I do not want to take the source code. The more I think about it, the more it would seem like I was a jerk for just copying the game and trying to sell it online without any work. How could I do the mechanics that are in this game and what libraries should I use. I understand that the game is complex, I just need somewhere to start off. I have a good knowledge about Opengl, GLSL, and SDL/SDL2. I also know how to make 3D models in blender.  What else should I know? I am only a one person developer, so there will not be anyone else that is helping me. *Correction* I have already sort of started to program a game like this, but I am using the fixed function pipeline. I do, however, have a knowledge of Vertex and Fragment Shaders. 

If you would, you could just (if you wanted to of course!!) give me a very early version of this game with barely anything (licenses, Shaders) in it so I could just start there.

I just do not like being under a license that I could possibly break and get sued like 500 million dollars or something like that. 

Edited by rjhwinner03

I would recommend reading the devlog of the developer of the game Banished: http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/2011-06-01-the-story-so-far/ (and going forward in time), it's got a lot of useful information, both on the process and on more practical decisions as well. If you're going to create a game yourself it's probably relevant to read what it's been like for someone who created it himself (and he finished the game as well, so it's not just "how to get started", but the entire story :) ). I think the topic is too big for a tutorial though, so learning about the process and what to think about is probably the most relevant :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No, I want to create a game without using a game engine! You don't understand what I am asking so I will just go ahead and say it. Tell me how to make a RTS game because I don't know if any sources that talk about a.i. And text and other stuff. Feneurs comment was more of what I am after, just not enough

Edited by rjhwinner03
Just added animations. Just need to know how to do A.I

1 hour ago, rjhwinner03 said:

No, I want to create a game without using a game engine! You don't understand what I am asking so I will just go ahead and say it. Tell me how to make a RTS game because I don't know if any sources that talk about a.i. And text and other stuff. Feneurs comment was more of what I am after, just not enough

Lol,  without game engine?

2 hours ago, rjhwinner03 said:

Sorry but either use an engine, or, if you want to be ambitious,, look for information on your own...

(Or just look into our code...)

• Like 1

@rjhwinner03: every single game I know has been built on an engine. It would be weird to do it differently because it allows you to create a fast, low-level engine (that has f.e. highly optimized rendering) and create a game on top of it in a more convenient programming language.

In case of 0 A.D., the programmer team wrote their own engine in C++ (called Pyrogenesis) and programmed a game on top of it in JavaScript. Pyrogenesis doesn't have such a nice GUI to create your game in though... (like UE4 and Unity)

But honestly, if you didn't know about this stuff, I'd advise to improve your programming knowledge first because creating a game like this (from scratch) is a very complicated task and not really suitable for newcomers (and also not for intermediate programmers btw) :) 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...