Vox Populi - The Ultimate Balance Mod

Hannibal_Barca

Am currently stuck at this stage

I'd like a "tech tree"

so to choose between ranged and melee in a pair tech, then cav ranged/melee or inf ranged/melee in another pair tech

Unfortunately I don't know how to manage all the "supersedes" stuff and I could only get Melee 2nd tier shown

Please help if can

If you didn't understand text, please check the blacksmith techs and you will understand

The techs themselves are at a rudimentary stage as i mainly wanted a working pair tech which forks into 2 pair techs

@wowgetoffyourcellphone you serm knowledgeable in this field

vox_populi_22.0.6.5.zip

Edited by Hannibal_Barca

8 hours ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

Am currently stuck at this stage

I'd like a "tech tree"

so to choose between ranged and melee in a pair tech, then cav ranged/melee or inf ranged/melee in another pair tech

Unfortunately I don't know how to manage all the "supersedes" stuff and I could only get Melee 2nd tier shown

Please help if can

If you didn't understand text, please check the blacksmith techs and you will understand

The techs themselves are at a rudimentary stage as i mainly wanted a working pair tech which forks into 2 pair techs

@wowgetoffyourcellphone you serm knowledgeable in this field

vox_populi_22.0.6.5.zip

Put the "supercedes" line in the pair file. 

8 hours ago, Servo said:

new version? when i download it becomes22.0.7?

No, this is half-way between 2 releases, I just always name the version under development already the next release

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Put the "supercedes" line in the pair file. 

Do you mean the pair_ranged_specialization and its melee twin files?

I can't make them supersede half of the pair_blacksmith_specialization tech although that is needed

If you choose the melee half of the pair_blacksmith one you should be then given the melee pair tech

Likewise with the ranged tech, but here even when selecting the ranged side you get melee

Any way to set supersede options bases on one of a pair tech?

6 minutes ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

I can't make them supersede half of the pair_blacksmith_specialization tech although that is needed

If you choose the melee half of the pair_blacksmith one you should be then given the melee pair tech

Likewise with the ranged tech, but here even when selecting the ranged side you get melee

You can do that, but the 2nd tier that wasn't unlocked with your first tier choice will still be there, visible in the UI. There's currently no way for the next set that shows up to be determined by a pair choice. 

I get what you're trying to do. You have a blacksmith specialization tech, it's a pair. Depending on which one you choose you want to unlock separate groups of new techs. You can do this, but there's no way of preventing the not-unlocked techs from still showing up in the UI. They'll just be forever grayed out.

But that opens a new possibility of putting tech at the end of the chosen tech route that unlocks the un-chosen route. You just have to follow the chosen route first before you can unlock the unchosen route. Though, I can foresee a snag in that one too, where once you go down the 2nd route you get to the end and get a tech that unlocks the first route again, but you've already researched all those. lol

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

1 hour ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

No, this is half-way between 2 releases, I just always name the version under development already the next release

someone is a unbeliever

Updated to 22.0.8

Having heard complaints about current wall tower abuse and then later on possible solutions, I've added 2 upgrades research-able at each Wall Turret

The first upgrade adds arrows but only if the garrisoned units are ranged since the upgrade only adds crenelations.

Next, players can - for a certain sum -  upgrade the wall turrets into Ballistae Wall Turrets (shoots bolts)

Now I know that at this point some of you might be shaking their heads and saying that this will make them even more "op"

This is not true, firstly these upgrades are long to research (1 minute and 2 minutes respectively), second they cost a relatively considerable amount.

Ballistae Wall Turrets require 1 population and have a maximum of 10 though, but if you feel you got a redundant one you don't have to delete it, there is a downgrade upgrade :P that you can research - for a price :P

Enjoy

vox_populi_22.0.8.zip

Sidenote: some of you might notice (or definitely after this) that the icons are a bit messed up since when editing the templates either the structure tree doesn't find the pic or the upgrade itself, i had to put arrows.png in 2 places (portraits/portraits/technologies). I'd be grateful if someone could help me out in this

Edited by Hannibal_Barca
  • Like 2

This new version is really nice. With 2 requirements before you can train cavalry rushing with cavs can’t be too OP. There were techs that are quite expensive but IMO it’s really good if they really are expensive. Expensive techs, very low resources available would further make the player be more careful on every decision during the game, 

Theres something that needs to be fixed. May not be too important but would be nice if done. 

1. When you upgrade the wall you can’t connect another to the turret. So before upgrade the walls should be finished to have a very nice walling. If a portion of wall or gate gets destroyed rebuilding might not be good looking unless you replace the entire length. 

2. The champ cavalry has much better capability than the fully upgraded and ranked regular cavalry but it’s HP is way below. Ex., Macedonians champ cavalry has 275 HP with full tech upgrade but the fully ranked and upgraded regular spear cavalry gas 355 HP. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Servo said:

1. When you upgrade the wall you can’t connect another to the turret. So before upgrade the walls should be finished to have a very nice walling. If a portion of wall or gate gets destroyed rebuilding might not be good looking unless you replace the entire length. 

A way to fix this one?

2 hours ago, Servo said:

2. The champ cavalry has much better capability than the fully upgraded and ranked regular cavalry but it’s HP is way below. Ex., Macedonians champ cavalry has 275 HP with full tech upgrade but the fully ranked and upgraded regular spear cavalry gas 355 HP. 

You sure about this? Champ Cavalry base health is 300.

Unfortunately I’m just a gamer with very little pc knowledge. 

The HP of Macedonians champ cavalry is 275 (base is 250) yes but the full ranked Thessalian Lancer is 335 with all tech upgrades researched. The Odrsysian cavalry skirmisher has 251. Couldn’t it be that the champ cavs wasn’t included on the blacksmith upgrade?  If at preset the base is 250 only Public Health upgrade can effect to make it exact 275 HP if I’m not wrong. 

Edited by Servo

Noted and fixed for the next version.

Now all units except cav +20% hp, cav +10% hp per promotion

This still lets elite lancers to beat champion cavalry in hp by 10 but I think it's realistic: a warrior with years of experience vs. a better equipped but less experienced foe

If you want to see the values, add the advanced_unit_bonus.json and elite_unit_bonus.json files to the VP technolgies file and replace the first line with these 2:

{"value": "Health/Max",                 "multiply": 1.2,  "affects": "!Cavalry"},
        {"value": "Health/Max",                 "multiply": 1.1,  "affects": "Cavalry" },

Edited by Hannibal_Barca
  • Like 2

Vox Populi 22.1 - Kushite Delight

Finally Vox Populi has reached its official release - 22.1

As I have promised you guys, this version comes with a huge surprise..

Yes the title spoiled it.. Kushites have been added to Vox Populi!

The Kushite civilization (developed by @Sundiata, @LordGood, @wowgetoffyourcellphone, @wackyserious, @niektb and many many more) has been converted to suit the more vanilla-favouring Vox Populi mod

One could ask why exactly Kushites.. why not Pontus, Numidia, Scythia, Thrace.. why Kushites

The reason is: Kushites represent an exotic culture, while many of the games with around our civilization count have such "traditional" civs as Rome, Carthage, Seleucids, Greeks, few offer such novelties as this.

It would be great if this civilization would be added to Alpha 23 - it'd promote the game a LOT, a new experience for players both old and new.

The civilization trait plan:

• diverse units
  • many champions
  • unique special buildings
  • poor in siege
  • weak navy

To try out this new addition click the link below

vox_populi_22.1_KD.zip

What needs to be done:

• Mercenary units need advanced and elite ranks
  • Maybe a special warship
  • Champion and hero icons
  • Hero actors

Please note that this civilization is still at the development stage, be so kind as to post feedback, report bugs and help out in the above specified tasks

(This release was made with the approval and co-operation of @Sundiata and wishes to further the development of the Kushite civilization by adding it to a running mod)

Edited by Hannibal_Barca
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And what about the error you get when placing a wonder?

ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: (null):0: Extra element props in interleave

ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: art/actors/structures/kushites/wonder.xml:6: Element variant failed to validate content

ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: art/actors/structures/kushites/wonder.xml:5: Element group has extra content: variant

ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: (null):0: Extra element group in interleave

ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: art/actors/structures/kushites/wonder.xml:4: Element actor failed to validate content

ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation failed for '(null)'

ERROR: CXeromyces: failed to validate XML file art/actors/structures/kushites/wonder.xml

Version kd not complete yet?  The Nuba clubman can’t seem to gain promotion.

But it’s playable though...

The kushite temple upgrade is really fun and did not occupy more space after upgrade. Kushite has many units! Really nice but I guess you did not include the cavalry archer huh. I think it was present in DE. 

Edited by Servo
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 6:11 PM, Hannibal_Barca said:

What needs to be done:

• Mercenary units need advanced and elite ranks
  • Maybe a special warship
  • Champion and hero icons
  • Hero actors

DE got different mercenary concept, there mercenaries don't promote

Cavalry archer was present in DE A22 but not the DE on his github repo

A22 release got all the old ptolemaic structures etc etc. Figured they got enough units anyway so no need cavalry archers.

Updated to 22.1.1

What has changed:

• Replaced heroes Piye and Amanitore with Nastasen and Arakamani. - Interesting and possibly unique auras.
  • Fixed civic centre garrison and wonder errors.
  • Reduced the selection of Village Phase units.
  • Units now start with only 80% of original speed

vox_populi_22.1.1.zip

Edited by Hannibal_Barca
  • Like 1

darn I spent many hours playing the kd version and a new one just came in :mellow:. Really fun to play the Kushite!

The skirm cavs are less OP. 20 fully upgraded units can hardly destroy a defense tower. 

The two types of temple guards have same features?

I hope you can increase the lure LOS of the ungatherable wild animals like wolf, lions etc to liken the lure distance of the elephants. I don’t like to kill these beast! I just put them in my little Zoo. 

Was there a bug on wall construction? Some walls have gaps from turrets. But some short ones don’t have. I’ll check whether if I build the walls not stretching the distance to maximum from turret to turret could solve the issue. 

Now I have to make a new game for this new version but it’s fine. Thanks Man! Voice of the player!:mellow:

BTW since AI hardly build a corral. Or they might not research the tech for cavalry they might not produce citizen cavs. If champion cavs has no corral tech prerequisite then they might train champ cavs. 

Edited by Servo
  • Like 1