dead

Gocker

56 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I hope gets better luck than SC2, there rumor the Remaster is because they ruining they own rts with patches for casual gaming.

I think that sc2 was very succesful, but players just bored, and the barrier of entry was very high

I find that if you make the game super competitive , you will lose a lot of the "casual" gamers. "Overbalancing" this game would make it very generic and i've seen this through experience. I've played both competitively and casually - you lose all the fun when you're competitively playing trying too out APM your opponent. It's like with starcraft 2 - they tried to release a million balance patches for the competitive scene that it lost its "casual" gamer base which is greater than competitive player base and now the game is pretty much dead. I miss the generation where games were "Fun to play again" instead of trying to make it a E-sport thing. Don't get me wrong, competitive play should be included, but not to the extent of what SC2 is.

AOE2 HD's competitive play seems to be pretty good, and I think they should stick with that formula of game-play.

As of Jan 2017 there are only 7000 players online. All of their custom game lobbies are pretty much dead. Legacy of the Void came out two years ago - pretty big drop off in the player base since then.

https://forums.ageofempires.com/discussion/comment/17107#Comment_17107

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'd honestly like to see an attempt at some other property, like Conan the Barbarian or Game of Thrones or a more savage version of Age of Mythology.

One nice thing about Conan the Barbarian is that much of it is in the public domain now. Names like "Conan the Barbarian" are trademarked though.

• Like 1

What do you think about renaming this topic to something like "Who would like a fantasy mod?" There isn't a clear cut border between which posts belong to a Warcraft mod discussion and which belong to a more generic discussion, and seeing as there aren't any details/work done on the mod already I think it's probably better that way :)

I would suggest staying away from specific intellectual property though; it's really easy to break the law there. Better to do some generic fantasy mod :) Orcs or elves or whatever general things can't be copyrighted after all =)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, feneur said:

What do you think about renaming this topic to something like "Who would like a fantasy mod?" There isn't a clear cut border between which posts belong to a Warcraft mod discussion and which belong to a more generic discussion, and seeing as there aren't any details/work done on the mod already I think it's probably better that way :)

I would suggest staying away from specific intellectual property though; it's really easy to break the law there. Better to do some generic fantasy mod :) Orcs or elves or whatever general things can't be copyrighted after all =)

I see where you're coming from, but I think it would be inaccurate to what I'm actually going for. Most of what has been done so far is talking about ideas. Seeing as I'm very new to modding, it could be a while before we see any results (I'm a really bad procrastinator :blush:)

As for the legal issues, I'm not very concerned. I'm surprised more people are kicking up a fuss about this mod than they are about Hyrule Conquest. Nintendo is pretty infamous for rabidly moving to shut down anyone who dares come close to their IP. From what I've seen, Blizzard isn't as strict.

The idea of making my own IP is intriguing, however. I'll think about it.

Edited by Gocker
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 1:55 PM, av93 said:

If you want, you have Wesnoth and The 9 Age as open source lores of fantasy.

9th Age seems to have their own CC license, though. Couldn't that lead to license incompatibility? For example, the civilization definition would be written in a JSON file, and those are under the GPL in 0 AD (not sure if they even could be under another license considering how they interconnect with the engine's code). How could you, then, incorporate content that is under the 9th Age license (i.e. country and character names) in such JSON files?

8 hours ago, Gocker said:

After thinking about it for a bit and talking to the people who are going to be helping me with the mod, yeah, I think I am leaning more towards an original setting over a copyrighted one.

Something mixing ideas from Game of Thrones, Warcraft, and Conan would be awesome. As some have said, a lot of the Conan mythos may be in the public domain.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

I have my inspirations, some original ideas too. Will likely draw most of my inspiration from Warcraft, Warhammer, and Undying Nephalim's Hyrule Conquest canon.

All three of which I am infinitely more familiar with than GoT and Conan lol.

But we can talk about ideas all day, actually doing it is a different story altogether. I'm still modelling donuts and coffee mugs trying to learn to use Blender :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

• Gocker changed the title to Tales of Eluron - A Fantasy Mod for 0 A.D.

Quick update on what's been going on in the discord recently. I've come up with quite a few factions for the game, as well as created a wiki to organize info on the game

Currently it's mostly short descriptions of some of the planned playable factions.

Edited by Gocker
removed dead link
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions regarding possible features-

Would it be possible to have underground tunnels/portals to move units quickly from one place to another? I have plans for a race that lives largely underground, and digs tunnels to move quickly and safely.

Would it be possible to have roads that make units move faster when they're on top? Possibly built similarly to walls with little/no collision.

Would it be possible to have targeted/active abilities? Such as fireballs, shields, heals, ect.

Is it possible to have unit voices change depending on the gender of said individual unit. Say I have a spearman unit with male and female variations. Would they share the same sound set or will the male use male voices, and female use female voices?

Is it possible to have buildings swap between a different set of units every so often, maybe on a timer? I would like to have mercenaries in the game, and every so often the taverns they're recruited at have a different pool of units to recruit.

Would it be possible to sync up unit animations, such as marching? It would help undead and other units with no free will appear more like puppets I feel. Really help the aesthetic of an army with supernatural discipline.

Edited by Gocker
  • Like 1

• Gocker changed the title to Wargate - A Fantasy Mod for 0 A.D.
  • Gocker changed the title to dead