modify affected units by a technology through another researched technology

Grugnas

Like the title says:  is it possible to modify affected units by a technology through another researched technology?

What i have in mind isn't a technology required to unlock another technology but a technology reduired to unlock another affected unit by a previously researched technology:

e.g: I want all the previously researched and the next new researched techs  affecting defense tower technologies to affect also siege towers.

No. See the TechModifications wiki page for a list of all possible things a technology can change.

Modifying technologies or entity lists (that can e.g. be built) is both confusing to users and creates a lot of possibilities for hard to detect bugs and increases the complexity of the whole code.

What you could do (which is a workaround if you consider modifying technologies something important) would be to provide autoresearch technologies that require both the defense tower tech they mimic (for siege towers) and the siege tower tech. That should have the exact same effect, without having to modify technologies. It does however increase the amount of technology files you have to create and maintain (since a change in the defense tower tech also requires you to update the siege tower tech).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, leper said:

Modifying technologies or entity lists (that can e.g. be built) is both confusing to users and creates a lot of possibilities for hard to detect bugs and increases the complexity of the whole code.
What you could do (which is a workaround if you consider modifying technologies something important) would be to provide autoresearch technologies that require both the defense tower tech they mimic (for siege towers) and the siege tower tech. That should have the exact same effect, without having to modify technologies. It does however increase the amount of technology files you have to create and maintain (since a change in the defense tower tech also requires you to update the siege tower tech).

Thanks for you advice, I did it. :)

I have one more question:  as long as researched technologies applies to units templates ( f.e. already trained mace champions, spartan champions, mercenaries get the technologies effects ) is this "rule" valid also for structures entities? I was trying to have more Seleucid fortresses entities have different reserached technologies in order to let some fortresses train roman army units and other which train traditional army, but I fear I should abandon the idea.

(Maybe someone should move all the topics that are neither guides nor tutorials out of this forum.)

Researched technologies apply to entities (or templates). That part of the code knows of no difference between units and structures (or other categories you might want to think about), as is true for most of the rest of the code.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but if you want two (or anything that is greater than 1) entities with different available things you will need different templates for those. I guess you could either provide two different fortresses in the builder list, or provide only one that makes use of the upgrade component to change into the other (or into one of the specialized two).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, leper said:

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but if you want two (or anything that is greater than 1) entities with different available things you will need different templates for those. I guess you could either provide two different fortresses in the builder list, or provide only one that makes use of the upgrade component to change into the other (or into one of the specialized two).

The intent was to have the same fortress template but fortress entities able to train different units through  a technologies pair researchable every time a new fortress entity is placed, but using upgrades would certainly work.