Faction : Nomads Xiongnu

Lion.Kanzen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Alexandermb's horses and animations look better than the current ones... This means that all the current horses in the vanilla game need to be replaced with Alexandermb's superior models and anims. I would love to see enrique's work in the game, but why would you hoodwink current development unless you got a message from enrique telling you he's coming back soon to work on the horses? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Alexandermb's horses and animations look better than the current ones... This means that all the current horses in the vanilla game need to be replaced with Alexandermb's superior models and anims. I would love to see enrique's work in the game, but why would you hoodwink current development unless you got a message from enrique telling you he's coming back soon to work on the horses? 

I agree to an extent. It's just that some of us have seen some of Enrique's horse and cavalry work and it's incredible. 

2 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Yeah they do indeed look better. 

But indeed I understand it makes it weird to you that I don't commit them as is (Provided they are even bug free) There are some reasons why.

1. Respect for the time Enrique did on those. 

2. Enrique's animation are indeed as @wowgetoffyourcellphone pointed out better quality so I'd rather wait for those than include Alexandermb as placeholders.

3. Enrique is an official artist so unlike a contributor that would show off things and leave I believe we can wait for him.

But yeah I don't have any source that says he will deliver.

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It's just that some of us have seen some of Enrique's horse and cavalry work and it's incredible. 

4 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

But indeed I understand it makes it weird to you that I don't commit them as is (Provided they are even bug free) There are some reasons why.

You're both absolutely right, I saw a youtube video on his horse anims and other stuff relating to unit meshes and textures and I have to say they do look incredible. But nobody seems to know when/if he'll be back, so until then, I would utilise the highest quality work which is actually available to us, and in this case, it's alaexandermb's work, which looks way better than the current stuff in my opinion (even if they're "just placeholders" they're still better). fyi, I really hope enrique comes back though.. I really don't mean to disregard or disrespect his legacy. He's work is really amazing!

Perhaps a final decision can be made in the month(s) running up to the next release. If we haven't heard from enrique by then, I really think it's strongly advisable to use Alexander's updated models, for the sake of 0AD itself, and how it's received by the the people unaware of enrique's work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexandermb said:

If its possibly i like to see how enrique's made horses animations i want to improve the ones i got and deliver something enrique's would do, specialy death animations.

Look at the whole thread and see what else enrique did

Edited by Skhorn

On ‎23‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, Enrique said:

More info about it:

Hide contents

Please note, ALL animation information gets recorded in the bones and we can start the simulation on any pose (so it can also have manual driven animation like puting the hands in the throat or where it is supposed to be hit etc..) plus it can be tweaked after converted to frames. This will save me TONS of time of manual animation for deaths variations.

I had to spend a lot of time on this but it's definitely worth it. I got really frustrated after attempting numerous cavalry horse animations that weren't achieving the quality I was looking for, but I think we can get really nice results with this. So only attack animations are left for cavalry now! :)

I hope you got a laugh watching de video :D

this is what i found and at i see what enrique's had planned for the spearman cavalry but also i notice he used the horse mesh as he uploaded to the public folder, the same size so the one i edited is bigger the size will be a problema in the future?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

this is what i found and at i see what enrique's had planned for the spearman cavalry but also i notice he used the horse mesh as he uploaded to the public folder, the same size so the one i edited is bigger the size will be a problema in the future?

Not sure. I do like the size of horse you did tho. Enrique's might use a completely different uv map so the texture on his looks better. I think I did talk to him at one time about remaking the horse textures completely with a much better layout than the current textures.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sundiata said:

You're both absolutely right, I saw a youtube video on his horse anims and other stuff relating to unit meshes and textures and I have to say they do look incredible. But nobody seems to know when/if he'll be back, so until then, I would utilise the highest quality work which is actually available to us, and in this case, it's alaexandermb's work, which looks way better than the current stuff in my opinion (even if they're "just placeholders" they're still better). fyi, I really hope enrique comes back though.. I really don't mean to disregard or disrespect his legacy. He's work is really amazing!

Perhaps a final decision can be made in the month(s) running up to the next release. If we haven't heard from enrique by then, I really think it's strongly advisable to use Alexander's updated models, for the sake of 0AD itself, and how it's received by the the people unaware of enrique's work. 

I'd like to have @LordGood and @Itms feedback on this. Mostly should we wait for @Enrique, and in any case should we commit @Alexandermb's work in the meantime or forever if Enrique were to never come back;

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I'd like to have @LordGood and @Itms feedback on this. Mostly should we wait for @Enrique, and in any case should we commit @Alexandermb's work in the meantime or forever if Enrique were to never come back;

In my opinion, regardless of whether Enrique comes back, we shouldn't wait for him if we have good models. They can be improved (or not) by him or someone else later. The important thing is estimating the quality of @Alexandermb's work, for which I fully trust Johnathan and you (they look good to me but what do I know ^_^): if it's "good enough as a placeholder", maybe don't commit it; if it's "matching the quality of the game art, though Enrique could do better", I think we shouldn't keep our old horses :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LordGood said:

Greenlit then! Anything is better than our old horses, and alexanders work is very much easier on the eyes. Animation commits can get messy fast though, so I'll just ask to keep an eye out for any odd mesh deformities/errors thrown. 

The only Major issue I've seen with Alexs horses is the Uv mapping. Half of that is the texture layout which is out of his control. I may just suggest that chamfrons and peytrals all become props. This will mask the ugly mapping. That can be done later of course so I say Alexs horses are good enough to commit. They're definitely a noticeable improvement and can be improved further moving forward.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, Alexandermb said:

Si, ellos hacen ese pequeño movimiento al impacto, es cuestión del caballo por instinto frenarse y evitar el impacto con la cara hacia el enemigo.

Según entiendo la visión del caballo no es may aguda, ellos solo ven sombras, no es un a visión binocular.