Lion.Kanzen

Faction : Nomads Xiongnu

I think mainly a color matching is needed.

huts can reflect more light and can have a level up brightness!

I think the ashy color from all buildings can be replaced,

I will suggest more later if you like.

Am I the only one who likes the Xiongnu textures? I mean, those yurts are covered in animal skins... How bright and colorful does it need to be?? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, soshanko said:

you know game is fantasy. so people want something eye catchy. that's all.

But 0AD isn't a fantasy game. It's a historical game. Of course there are artistic licenses taken, but only where it's merited. If the people want eye catchy, there are quite a number of eye-catching civs to choose from already (although I personally consider the Xiongnu quite eye-catching already). I think the more mute colors of the Xiongnu goes well with their more natural, nomadic feel. Shamanic, in closer proximity to nature than any other civ. I think the Scythians offer a much better opportunity for a bright and colorful, eye-caching nomadic civ. Just my opinions though.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

do you have concrete evidence of xiongnu structures and color? any resource that shows that all of their color was as it is in the game?

37 minutes ago, soshanko said:

do you have concrete evidence of xiongnu structures and color? any resource that shows that all of their color was as it is in the game?

There are 25 pages in this thread, so that would be a good place to start reading up on the references used in the development of this civ. There are other threads discussing Xiongnu as well, I believe.  

Animal skins or felt are the standard material for yurts/gers. Fabrics, sometimes colorful are also used today, but weren't the norm +2000 years ago, and many of the modern colors (like the use of bright yellow) are later Buddhist influences.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, there always is, and I don't oppose them. Perhaps a a brightness/contrast adjustment and a few colorful highlights for the main ger, or future shaman's ger wouldn't be too bad. I personally just don't see the issue with how they are now. 

• Like 1

The color palette of the yurts seems natural, in fact it should be dirtier or more animal-pelt like, we already discussed that scythians (or parthians don't remember wich one was) was the one who will have yurts with more colors.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2018 at 4:46 AM, Sundiata said:

Am I the only one who likes the Xiongnu textures? I mean, those yurts are covered in animal skins... How bright and colorful does it need to be?? 

I agree. I don't understand why everyone wants everything oversaturated and cartoony. Player color, I understand, but the base diffuse colors should be rather realistic. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

The color palette of the yurts seems natural, in fact it should be dirtier or more animal-pelt like, we already discussed that scythians (or parthians don't remember wich one was) was the one who will have yurts with more colors.

Right, I imagine the Scythians could look a lot like this: 

Roman_TentSettlement_BLACK.jpg

But with more Scythian decor/aesthetic: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=scythian+textiles

• Like 5