Faction : Nomads Xiongnu

Lion.Kanzen

5 minutes ago, soshanko said:

you know game is fantasy. so people want something eye catchy. that's all.

But 0AD isn't a fantasy game. It's a historical game. Of course there are artistic licenses taken, but only where it's merited. If the people want eye catchy, there are quite a number of eye-catching civs to choose from already (although I personally consider the Xiongnu quite eye-catching already). I think the more mute colors of the Xiongnu goes well with their more natural, nomadic feel. Shamanic, in closer proximity to nature than any other civ. I think the Scythians offer a much better opportunity for a bright and colorful, eye-caching nomadic civ. Just my opinions though.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, soshanko said:

do you have concrete evidence of xiongnu structures and color? any resource that shows that all of their color was as it is in the game?

There are 25 pages in this thread, so that would be a good place to start reading up on the references used in the development of this civ. There are other threads discussing Xiongnu as well, I believe.  

Animal skins or felt are the standard material for yurts/gers. Fabrics, sometimes colorful are also used today, but weren't the norm +2000 years ago, and many of the modern colors (like the use of bright yellow) are later Buddhist influences.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, there always is, and I don't oppose them. Perhaps a a brightness/contrast adjustment and a few colorful highlights for the main ger, or future shaman's ger wouldn't be too bad. I personally just don't see the issue with how they are now. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 4:46 AM, Sundiata said:

Am I the only one who likes the Xiongnu textures? I mean, those yurts are covered in animal skins... How bright and colorful does it need to be?? 

I agree. I don't understand why everyone wants everything oversaturated and cartoony. Player color, I understand, but the base diffuse colors should be rather realistic. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

The color palette of the yurts seems natural, in fact it should be dirtier or more animal-pelt like, we already discussed that scythians (or parthians don't remember wich one was) was the one who will have yurts with more colors.

Right, I imagine the Scythians could look a lot like this: 

Roman_TentSettlement_BLACK.jpg

But with more Scythian decor/aesthetic: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=scythian+textiles

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 9:06 PM, soshanko said:

do you have concrete evidence of xiongnu structures and color? any resource that shows that all of their color was as it is in the game?

If I get my act together and make the mod I want it will be much dirtier: bark huts, ocre, caves, and burnt wood materials that make the xiongnu seem like its glimmering. If we want to do natural historical colour them most blues are out altogether. Proper blues were very rare and expensive in antiquity. A donkey load of royal blue or priestly purple cloth was a kings ransom. 
Don't get us wrong the game can do fantasy, mage towers etc, but that's a mod that far from its heart. 

Is there a boat or dock planned I can't see one? 
If not might I suggest a Ferry. This is built on the water edge like a dock and when finished launched with the pack button. It "despawns" the dock.
It should have a limited attack, small carrying capacity 6-8 and is not for fishing. Strictly about getting across the water. Even steppes have rivers.
This stops the player or the AI getting very stuck on some of the islands maps. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wesley said:

Is there a boat or dock planned I can't see one? 
If not might I suggest a Ferry. This is built on the water edge like a dock and when finished launched with the pack button. It "despawns" the dock.
It should have a limited attack, small carrying capacity 6-8 and is not for fishing. Strictly about getting across the water. Even steppes have rivers.
This stops the player or the AI getting very stuck on some of the islands maps. 

if we find references historical accurate could be, but since they are nomads and mostly from the steppes the better choice we could have is this as smiley mentioned.

6 hours ago, (-_-) said:

Or maybe there could be a "disabledCivs" property in map settings. That way a water map would never have a civ without docks.

OK can that be used to detect maps as the game runs and used to activate special tech on a certain map. Or does it only work in choosing a map from the random pool or choosing a random army for a map. 

I'm thinking about sleds and sled dogs which are available on snow and ice maps only. Its for a different kind of nomad. 

I'm playing them I found it workable without a farm. I put out a corral with a CC and a few women and a mounted unit and spammed sheep. Got food to 6500 fast. Doing that out side the main CC area prevents clutter and pathing. Sending out 6 mounted archers to hunt everything on the map with defensive set works to. 
So its working. 

20 hours ago, Wesley said:

OK can that be used to detect maps as the game runs and used to activate special tech on a certain map. Or does it only work in choosing a map from the random pool or choosing a random army for a map. 

I'm thinking about sleds and sled dogs which are available on snow and ice maps only. Its for a different kind of nomad. 

To clarify, it’s just something static chosen by the map designer. So there would be no biome detecting and whatnot. Just that if you selected “map_x”, you cant select “civ_y”.

Regarding the last point: well, that’s why we have trigger script support I suppose.

Edited by Guest