How do i remove the thing that says Alpha XXIII: Ken Wood in the main menu and pretty much everywhere else. And new Multiplayer lobby.

rjhwinner03

I am trying to make a game from the source code that I reprogrammed to be a clone of your game engine. However, I cannot figure out how to remove things such as the Alpha XXIII: Ken wood thing on the Main menu. Could you also help me with a new multiplayer lobby because i don't want people to get my game, but then be able to play yours for free in the future. That would be just plain unethical. Could you help me with these problems? Because these are the things that have stumped me the most. Please help ASAP.

Thanks a million!!!

2 hours ago, rjhwinner03 said:

...i don't want people to get my game, but then be able to play yours for free in the future.

I don't understand this. They will always be able to play our game for free regardless of what changes you make. You can somewhat try to hide that your game is a derivative of 0 A.D. However, because our game uses the GPL license, you will still legally have to provide your game's source code for free to anyone that requests it. The only way around this is if you write your game completely from scratch and do not use any 0 A.D. code. The artwork in 0 A.D. uses the Creative Commons license which has its own set of rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1. 0 A.D.'s source code is there for you to take for free. It's licensed to do that.
2. Modify the code, then no problem. It's yours.
3. Here's the clause: you MUST release your code under the same license. (Free for anyone to copy and modify).
This is the bare-bones of Open Source if we ignore all the nuances of the other licenses.

Modifying something that's not yours, and then making people assume that you created it alone - Now THAT'S unethical.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Please give some respect. Ken Wood was one of old timer in 0 A.D and isn't more between us.

That's not really relevant in this case though. For a new game, he can call the version whatever he wants.

As for the question itself: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ReleaseProcessDraft#Prepareforpackaging lists the places where the Alpha name is mentioned.

@av93 Yeah you could sell copies of it, even without touching anything, but you'll have to provide the source files somehow, by ie providing a link to here.

Let's say you trash every part of the game save for one file under the gpl license, all your source code build around would have to be downloadable for free.
You can also make exceptions if you library is separated, but then it becomes really complicated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, av93 said:

So, you can sell the game, but also you have to provide a free download method, right?

You do not have to provide a free download of your game. You do have to make the source code available for free if it is GPL. This only applies to source code, so you don't have to provide free binaries. You can charge for those as a convenience, but people are free to compile it on their own if they have the ability.

If you created your own artwork, you can license that however you wish. That does not have to be given out for free, so it is possible to use GPL for code and still prevent people from distributing your game for free. If you base the artwork on 0 A.D. artwork, then Creative Commons would apply.

• Like 2

Ohhhh thank you, but is there a way that i could get rid of the ken wood thing. I know how to do it, i just dont know where the file with that thing is. Btw, could I provide the source code when the person buys the game in case they want to make a mod or something that would be convenient in their favor?

If I credited everyone who did the artwork on the game, could I sell the game then, or would i have to give them a share of the price by royalty laws. Or, I could just recommend these people for artwork that they would need done.

And if i did this, would I just have to leave the credits alone, because I have edited a lot of the code and I also changed the credits to thank my parents and things like that.

Quick update: so Creative commons means that I could still sell the game with all the sounds, artwork, models, and everything else, but I would have to make them open source as well.

But dont quote me on that, I am not even in college yet, so I do not know these things.

I have changed some of the songs, however, and I am in the process of making them and coding them into my game.

Ok, I wont sugarcoat the multiplayer thing, I will just go ahead and say it. With programming, you must have all of the assets that the person you are trying to connect to has. So, therefore, it would crash if someone wanted to play the game. And also, could I make my own models and not distribute them, I just dont think that that would be very great if some people were figuring out a way to get the game for free. Even though it is inevitable in the future. I also do not have 3ds max, is there a cheaper alternative other that like $180 that i can get and use?

I also saw a forum on this page saying that I could not use blender for the models, so that gets rid of that question and answer.

Sorry if i am sounding snappy, I just am excited. :)

I also want to get rid of the Ken Wood thing because I don't even know who Ken Wood actually is. I looked through the code and reprogrammed like 1/4 of it already. So could you please tell me how to change it so it does not bother me all the time. Just tell me where all the main menu mechanics are and I will be happy. And all of the things I will have to do to sell the game so I can go ahead and sell this thing. I have worked on it for about 4 months now for like 3 hours a day, so I really am not trying to be unethical, for I am the type of person that if he knows he did not change something, he would be thinking about it for days at a time.

I could make a video about the changes that I have made, but could you possibly give me another copy of the credits, because I have edited it to say thanks to my parents. And it also says I did the programming. I was just fiddling around with it to see what I could do. Even though I may/ may not keep the credits, if I am required to change them back to the way they were, I want to put my name in there, since I did change some of the code to my liking.

Moderator edit: You have the ability to edit your own posts. Please kindly use it instead of creating multiple posts in a single thread in a short period of time.

16 minutes ago, rjhwinner03 said:

I also saw a forum on this page saying that I could not use blender for the models, so that gets rid of that question and answer.

Sorry if i am sounding snappy, I just am excited. :)

Who said you could not use blender for your models ?

The models are stored in .dae Collada format which can be made using blender we have over twenty blender tutorials just for 0AD workflow your not looking hard enough ;) As for the selling your game all of the source code is GPL which means you can sell it but you must make that source code available for free if you do not be prepared to get a very expensive lawyer the same goes for the art work it is CC0 which means that it can not be sold period both the models and textures you have to make your own this also gets into the courts if you are careless and this an international convention.

Enjoy the Choice :)  

31 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

The models are stored in .dae Collada format which can be made using blender we have over twenty blender tutorials just for 0AD workflow your not looking hard enough ;) As for the selling your game all of the source code is GPL which means you can sell it but you must make that source code available for free if you do not be prepared to get a very expensive lawyer the same goes for the art work it is CC0 which means that it can not be sold period both the models and textures you have to make your own this also gets into the courts if you are careless and this an international convention.

Enjoy the Choice :)  

That's remind me, I will add other new one.

15 hours ago, rjhwinner03 said:

I didnt know that the game was going to be free...

Well, that's a compliment! You didn't know that a game of this quality would be released for free.

But, yes. As said, you can sell your game.
It's like having to the ability to sell your bread, but you have to display the recipe for anyone who asks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rjhwinner03 said:

Actually, Blender works great for models. In fact, many of the current models (and animations) in the game were created in Blender. Gimp is good choice for textures if you do not have access to Photoshop.

[edit]

I also want to get rid of the Ken Wood thing because I don't even know who Ken Wood actually is.

He is one of the reasons 0 A.D. exists. Here is a link where you can read more about him: https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9732-ken-wood/&tab=comments#comment-167828

Each alpha version has a unique name, so the next alpha will be called something different. There is nothing wrong with wanting to rename your version. I think someone already posted a way to do that.

[edit2]

You will have edit a lot of places if you care about translations, but the main place appears to be in:

./binaries/data/mods/public/gui/pregame/mainmenu.xml:                        <translate>Alpha XXIII: Ken Wood</translate>

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin