Do 0ad supports flat earth concept?

Dear AudaciousTUX, i have to disappoint you, earth in fact is not spherical. It's flat.

No, im just joking, its not flat but its also not sperical, its flying through space on the back of a giant turtle.

Ok, thats also not the truth. In fact earth has potato shape (its a Geoid).

potsdam.jpg

Concerning the flat map, well earth curvature doesnt need to apply to it, because earth is too big and 0ad maps are too small to even notice it. That is if you want to apply earth curvature to 0ad maps with realistic proportions.

Edited by realNoobNoob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AudaciousTUX said:

are 0ad  authors flat earthers?

I wonder too when I see all the old random maps. Many have no terrain height differences to speak of and look extremely ugly to me. For example the all-time-lobby-favorite map Mainland (here with trees removed):

screenshot0193.png

screenshot0194.png

This has become much better in the last years. For example wraitii's Pyrennean Sierra map from 2012 has a nice mountain range and slowly increasing height. _kalis maps from alpha 20 / 2015 introduced the gameplay-wise really interesting bluffs (most prominent map Ambush). With Alpha 21 / 2016 _kali had added real-world maps (most probably excluding curvature) Red Sea, Mediterranean and so forth that look much better. In early 2017, when Hannibal_Barca wanted to give us more flat earth maps, we had identified the recipe for beautiful maps: The createBumps call, which should be more often used for these ugly maps.

5 hours ago, AudaciousTUX said:

would love to see maps with the spherical shape of the earth

Like mario galaxy?

gfs_68186_2_15.jpg

0 A.D. maps are not large enough to reveal any curvature of the theoretical dimensions, because largest map size * TERRAIN_TILE_SIZE = 512 * 4 = 2048 meters if I'm not mistaken.

(Other than the 0 A.D. part, it's  an interesting topic but as offtopic as it might get.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well, since the OP was already answered:

I have seen a lot of non-spherical maps of the globe. It doesn't mean that the people who made them were flat-earthers. In fact, even the globe-type maps are quite smooth. Should I ask if the people who made them don't believe in the existence of mountains?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dvaosta said:

Luckily, there is a group of illuminated people which know the truth: https://theflatearthsociety.org/home/

18 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

non-spherical maps of the globe. It doesn't mean that the people who made them were flat-earthers

obama flat earth.jpg

(And if we're already posting links, the videos "flat earth clues" and "two hundred proofs the earth is not a spinning globe" were more entertaining presentations of oddities, casual bullshit and science fiction than that website IMO)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 5:50 PM, sphyrth said:

In fact, even the globe-type maps are quite smooth. Should I ask if the people who made them don't believe in the existence of mountains?

The difference is that if one were far enough away from Earth that one could see the whole globe, even the tallest mountains are nowhere near a height that would make them noticeable from that distance.