Debian Stretch and 0ad 0.22

Mariusz Terebecki

The package is not yet available https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/0ad

The packager is pinged so it should be available soon. https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=vcheng%40debian.org

Even if I would recommend you to wait for the official package, you can also download the source and compile the game.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions#DebianUbuntu

• 3 months later...

I had the chance to drop a word about this to people from Debian at the Capitole du Libre, who knew who to contact so that the maintainer for the package gets some help. I hope we can have the game in stretch and jessie backports soon, buster shouldn't be long now that sid has it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm in that group of folks who've gone to Debian Stretch (9.4), and now can't seem to get the most recent version of this game too.  My wife's laptop is running the most recent version of Linux Mint (18.3), and I was able to add the direct repository to hers, so she's now able to run 0.22, but I'm stuck with 0.21 and don't think I can play with her on the network :-( until I can get mine updated or hers downgraded back to 0.21.

I'm willing to try building it from source, but have little clue how to do such, and the links above, seem to point to a page that shows how to build a development environment to work on the game (which I'm not trying to do, and wouldn't know where to begin doing).  Can someone point me to where I can start  to figure out how to build this program/game into something that  I can actually play on my computer?  Probably need some baby steps or a big, clear map, as I'm not a programmer.  Thanks!

Edit:  Apparently I did build the development workspace, but didn't understand how the following was to be applied by me:

• With these dependencies you have to run:
      • ./update-workspaces.sh --with-system-nvtt
  • On all versions except Ubuntu 18.04, you will need to install libsodium manually.
    • On Ubuntu 18.04, sudo apt-get install libsodium-dev.
  • If you want to use a packaged mozjs38, available for example in 0ad.dev PPA:
    • you should replace libnspr4-dev with libmozjs-38-dev and run update-workspace.sh with --with-system-mozjs38.
  • When not using system nvidia-texture-tools, libnvtt-dev can be omitted, but cmake is needed to build the bundled NVTT.
  • You can also use libcurl4-openssl-dev instead of libcurl4-gnutls-dev (it's not possible to install both at once), but note that openssl is not GPL compatible and the resulting binaries could not be redistributed.

My laptop has an AMD APU, and the equivalent Graphics card of a Radeon R5 (no NVidia graphics on board), so I'm pretty unsure what I'm supposed to do with any of this, or what I do next?

Edited by AJ15
updated info

Mint isn't the problem - my wife's laptop is running Mint, I added that repository, and her's is now running 0.22 of the game with no issues.

I have identical hardware (both are Lenovo G-51 laptops with RAM upgrades & SSDs), but mine is running Debian Stretch (9.4).  I can't or at least so far, I haven't been able to add that repository to my Debian system and get it to work at all, so I only have access to 0.21 from the official Debian repositories.

(I guess to more directly answer your question, no, those commands didn't work on Debian, or at least not on my Debian system)

Edited by AJ15

9 minutes ago, AJ15 said:

no, those commands didn't work on Debian, or at least not on my Debian system)

That's because ppa's are strictly a 'buntu thing have you checked if the newer version is in backports/testing if so then enabling backports should do the trick for you.

Enjoy the Choice :)

I was trying to enable backports, and I've messed up my sources enough that Synaptic just starts with an error, then crashes, so until I fix that, I won't be able to use that tool to do things the easy way.

I was trying to push forward in the build too, and got as far as this error message, although I don't know where cmake comes from, nor how I am supposed to go about getting it on this system:

:~/Downloads/0ad-0.0.22-alpha/build/workspaces$ ./update-workspaces.sh -j5
Updating bundled third-party dependencies...

SpiderMonkey is already up to date

Building NVTT...

./build.sh: 14: ./build.sh: cmake: not found
ERROR: NVTT build failed

I'll eventually get there, but boy is this a lotta work to play a game!

I've repaired the damage I've caused to Synaptic, so it's back in action, but I can't find any more recent version in stretch-backports.  Presumably, it's now available in testing, but I need to read up on how to enable a testing repository first, or I'll likely mess up Synaptic (again).

A22 is indeed not in the backports :( A23 is around the corner so I don't think it makes sense to bug them again about A22 now.

You didn't install cmake so you cannot build the bundled NVTT. Just install cmake :)

If building from source is an issue, you can try a flatpak as a last resort: https://flatpak.org/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much!  I installed cmake via apt-get, & retried the step that gave the error, followed the remaining steps, and produced a working copy of 0.22 on my laptop :victory:

It's in my download directory, not where the system would have installed it, so I have 2 copies of different versions now, but I've learned much from the process and I'm grateful for the experience.  I'm not sure how to replace the older version with the one that I built, but until I need to reclaim the hard drive space, I won't sweat it, because by then, the official sources may have been updated :)

I can now kind of help out if anyone else has trouble getting this version built from source on Debian Stretch, ''cause I'm living proof that a novice can actually do this :victory:

• Like 1