New tech for temples - Dedicate it to the gods

Hannibal_Barca

Hi all

I've been thinking on how to make game experience more fun, add some history and make civs even more unique.

Why not make a tech for dedicating your temple to a certain god and receive some bonus connected to that deity's function?

It would be a triple tech (you choose one of three - @elexis said that this isn't implemented yet but could be done with a little effort)

I've gathered together 3 deities for each civilization (except mauryans) and have written a little description

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to the bonuses, I was thinking something not too big but that could make a difference

Here they are ;)

Athenians

Athena
Consecrate your temples to Athena, goddess of war, crafts and wisdom.

Demeter
Favour the goddess of harvest and agriculture Demeter above the other gods and win her patronage by erecting statues to her.

Poseidon
Dedicate your temples to Poseidon, god of the waters, earthquakes and horses.

Britons
Nodens
Sacred Grove of Nodens: Found Sacred Groves across your empire to Nodens, god of healing, hunting, dogs and the sea.

Teutatis
Sacred Grove of Teutatis: Found a Sacred Grove at each of your temples to Teutatis, protector and war god.

Esus
Erect statues to Esus, God of War and Destruction at your temples.

Carthage
Ba'al Hammon
Temple to Ba'al: Worship Ba'al Hammon, Chief God of Carthage and god of fertility and vegetation.

Astarte
Followers of Astarte: Venerate Astarte, goddess of fertility, motherhood and war in your temples.

Milqart
Followers of Milqart: Dedicate your temples to Milqart, protector of Tyre and its colonies.

Gauls
Epona
Erect statues and idols in your temples to venerate Epona, goddess of horses and riding .

Rosmerta
Dedicate your temples to Rosmerta, goddess of warmth, fertility and abundance.

Segomo
Follow the war god Segomo and his warlike ways.

Iberians
Ataegina
Dedicate your temples to Ataegina, goddess of Spring, rebirth and fertility.

Lugus
Shrines to Lugus: Build shrines across your empire to the god of crafts and learning, Lugus.

Cariociecus
Sacred Grove of Cariociecus: Found a Sacred Grove at each of your temples to Cariociecus, an Iberian war god.

Macedonians
Artemis Dynatera
Dedicate your temples to Artemis Dynatera (All-powerful) to earn her patronage.

Zeus
Consecrate your temples to divine Zeus to receive the benefits of his favour.

Thaulos
Turn away from the Twelve Olympians to worship Thaulos, the Macedonian god of war.

Mauryans
Jainism
Encourage Jainism and its views throughout your empire.

Buddhism
Encourage Buddhism and its views throughout your empire

Hinduism
Encourage Hinduism and its views throughout your empire

Persians
Anahita
Strengthen the ancient religion following Anahita, Goddess of fertility, healing and wisdom.

Ahura Mazda
Follow the path of Zoroastrianism and venerate Ahura Mazda, The Lord of All.

Mithra
Honour Mithra, god of the sun, justice, contract, and war in your temples.

Ptolemies
Serapis
Choose the worship of Serapis to be your state religion

Anubis
Re-establish the cult of Anubis, god of the Afterlife.

Horus
Dedicate your temples to Horus, god of war, hunting and sky.

Romans
Jupiter
Worship Jupiter, King of the Gods. Erect statues to him in your temples and receive his patronage.

Neptune
Dedicate your temples to mighty Neptune, Lord of the Sea.

Vulcan
Worship Vulcan, god of fire, volcanoes and the forge.

Seleucids
Nabu
Dedicate your temples to Nabu, Babylonian god of wisdom, rational arts and literacy.

Apollo Hecatus
Worship Apollo Hecatus (Shooter from Afar) and receive his patronage.

Ahura Mazda
Favour Zoroastrianism in your empire and dedicate your temples to Ahura Mazda, Bestower of Wishes.

Spartans
Ares
Consecrate your temples to Ares, God of War.

Artemis Aegina
Erect statues in your temples to Artemis Aegina (Wielder of the Javelin).

Aphrodite Areia
Revere Aphrodite Areia (Warlike) in your temples and win her favour.

I hope I have some of you interested :)

Lastly, new icons would be needed for these techs. They would be based mainly on the symbol(s) of that deity (an owl, trident, hammer&anvil, dog)

I'd greatly appreciate anyone with the skills to help me with this, it is an interesting challenge, there may be some willing to try ;)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, soloooy0 said:

cartaginians

The tanit goddess in the Balearic culture is well represented and studied quite well and since the symbol is an icon of that goddess will be more "canonical"

http://www.ibizaisla.es/hippie/tanit-ibiza.html

Indeed I considered Tanit but favoured Astarte over her because I recall the Sacred Band is in her name. Also not both because some sources say they are the same

But since Tanit is the consort of Baal they could be put together

As far as i understandd this new feature would/could introduce a deeper "build tree" that probably the game isn't actually ready yet to embrace. Is that devotion choice  1 time only per game (perhaps in order to prevent exploits)? if so, isn't it implementable as upgrade?

8 minutes ago, Grugnas said:

As far as i understandd this new feature would/could introduce a deeper "build tree" that probably the game isn't actually ready yet to embrace. Is that devotion choice  1 time only per game (perhaps in order to prevent exploits)? if so, isn't it implementable as upgrade?

You choose 1 deity that you dedicate all temples to. Otherwise it would be too complicated and exploitable

2 hours ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

Indeed I considered Tanit but favoured Astarte over her because I recall the Sacred Band is in her name. Also not both because some sources say they are the same

But since Tanit is the consort of Baal they could be put together

Tanit was the most important everywhere in the Punic and Berber worlds; representations of her:

|_o_|
 / \
/___\

or

_o_
/_\

vastly outnumber those of all other deities combined. That she could be equated with Astarte or tied with Ba'al Hammon (or locally with Ba'al Melqart) is irrelevant; she had many temples of her own.

Neptune and Vulcan have never been more than just minor gods in Rome. The most important Roman gods in its early history were the archaic triad of Jupiter (the elite (kings, senators, equites)), Mars (citizens, farmers, hastati, principes, triarii), Quirinus (the poor masses); Saturn (agricultural god; the state treasury was also housed in his temple); and Hercules (very popular everywhere in Italy, had many temples). Iuno, Minerva, and Venus were only slightly less important.

Likewise I could go on and criticize the poor choice of gods for the other factions. However, I won't do this; your idea is certainly nice (it reminds me of AoM), feel free to develop it further, although I have to agree with fatherbushido that the merits are questionable.

I've heeded several observations and have changed the list accordingly

Athenians

Athena
Consecrate your temples to Athena, goddess of war, crafts and wisdom.

Demeter
Favour the goddess of harvest and agriculture Demeter above the other gods and win her patronage by erecting statues to her.

Poseidon
Dedicate your temples to Poseidon, god of the waters, earthquakes and horses.

Britons
Nodens
Sacred Grove of Nodens: Found Sacred Groves across your empire to Nodens, god of healing, hunting, dogs and the sea.

Teutatis
Sacred Grove of Teutatis: Found a Sacred Grove at each of your temples to Teutatis, protector and war god.

Esus
Erect statues to Esus, God of War and Destruction at your temples.

Carthage
Ba'al Hammon
Temple to Ba'al: Worship Ba'al Hammon, Chief God of Carthage and god of fertility and vegetation.

Tanit
Followers of Tanit: Venerate Tanit, virgin goddess of war, motherhood and fertility in your temples.

Milqart
Followers of Milqart: Dedicate your temples to Milqart, protector of Tyre and its colonies.

Gauls
Epona
Erect statues and idols in your temples to venerate Epona, goddess of horses and riding .

Rosmerta
Dedicate your temples to Rosmerta, goddess of warmth, fertility and abundance.

Segomo
Follow the war god Segomo and his warlike ways.

Iberians
Ataegina
Dedicate your temples to Ataegina, goddess of Spring, rebirth and fertility.

Lugus
Shrines to Lugus: Build shrines across your empire to the god of crafts and learning, Lugus.

Cariociecus
Sacred Grove of Cariociecus: Found a Sacred Grove at each of your temples to Cariociecus, an Iberian war god.

Macedonians
Artemis Dynatera
Dedicate your temples to Artemis Dynatera (All-powerful) to earn her patronage.

Zeus
Consecrate your temples to divine Zeus to receive the benefits of his favour.

Thaulos
Turn away from the Twelve Olympians to worship Thaulos, the Macedonian god of war.

Mauryans
Jainism
Encourage Jainism and its views throughout your empire.

Buddhism
Encourage Buddhism and its views throughout your empire

Hinduism
Encourage Hinduism and its views throughout your empire

Persians
Anahita
Strengthen the ancient religion following Anahita, Goddess of fertility, healing and wisdom.

Ahura Mazda
Follow the path of Zoroastrianism and venerate Ahura Mazda, The Lord of All.

Mithra
Honour Mithra, god of the sun, justice, contract, and war in your temples.

Ptolemies
Serapis
Choose the worship of Serapis to be your state religion

Anubis
Re-establish the cult of Anubis, god of the Afterlife.

Isis
Dedicate your temples to Isis, goddess of health, marriage and wisdom.

Romans
Jupiter
Worship Jupiter, King of the Gods. Erect statues to him in your temples and receive his patronage.

Hercules
Dedicate your temples to mighty Hercules.

Saturn
Worship Saturn, god of wealth, agriculture and liberation.

Seleucids
Nabu
Dedicate your temples to Nabu, Babylonian god of wisdom, rational arts and literacy.

Apollo Hecatus
Worship Apollo Hecatus (Shooter from Afar) and receive his patronage.

Ahura Mazda
Favour Zoroastrianism in your empire and dedicate your temples to Ahura Mazda, Bestower of Wishes.

Spartans
Ares
Consecrate your temples to Ares, God of War.

Artemis Aegina
Erect statues in your temples to Artemis Aegina (Wielder of the Javelin).

Aphrodite Areia
Revere Aphrodite Areia (Warlike) in your temples and win her favour.

12 hours ago, Nescio said:

Likewise I could go on and criticize the poor choice of gods for the other factions. However, I won't do this; your idea is certainly nice (it reminds me of AoM), feel free to develop it further, although I have to agree with fatherbushido that the merits are questionable.

Go ahead and criticize ;)

As for the "poor choice" of gods, I try to choose a fitting god for each civilization, meaning for example although Apollo is revered in Sparta a lot, he is mainly a god of archery, poetry and music so I opted instead for his sister Artemis (in this case with an epithet)

In any case, I was undecided about the last deity for Sparta(currently Aphrodite) so feel free to suggest

In some instances like with the Seleucids, players are given the option to choose between Greek (Apollo), Babylonian (Nabu) and Persian (Ahura Mazda) gods. These are the 3 "main" branches of religion in the Seleucid Empire.

Likewise with Macedon although Thaulos is not a widespread god you nevertheless are given the option of choosing a local god over the Olympians

Players should be able to choose between obscure, ancient and new religions

I got that idea partially from RTW: Barbarian Invasion

I like the Eastern Roman Empire and playing as them at the start Christianity (many cities and the faction leader and heir are Christian) has already taken strong roots and Paganism (represented by Sol Invictus and Mithras) is on the wane.

Nevertheless, I often opt to choose to revitalize Paganism by demolishing Christian structures and changing the Faction Heir to someone pagan. (No offence to Christians, this is only a personal and strategic decision)

While this is a slightly different example, why not be able to do the same in 0 A.D.?

If I prefer Thaulos over the Olympians I am able to choose him as Cheif Deity of Macedon

32 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Romans

Jupiter mayor god / father of others gods

Ceres the goddess of agriculture

Mars all romans are proud sons of mars.the god of war.

Thanks!

Also by any chance would you know anyone who can make icons? They don't have to be 100% quality just that they kind of fit in with the others in style. I was thinking of the main symbols of each god on the icons

1 hour ago, soloooy0 said:

New tech for temples - Dedicate it to the gods

NEW TECH - THIS NOT OPTION FOR GAME? OR ERROR TITLE

According to GoogleTranslate Lion.Kanzen said "We are talking about gods"

And this is true, Romulus and Remus aren't exactly gods, more like legendary personages and thus they can't be added here

Edited by Hannibal_Barca

16 hours ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

Go ahead and criticize ;)

Since you're asking ...

As for the "poor choice" of gods, I try to choose a fitting god for each civilization, meaning for example although Apollo is revered in Sparta a lot, he is mainly a god of archery, poetry and music so I opted instead for his sister Artemis (in this case with an epithet)

In any case, I was undecided about the last deity for Sparta(currently Aphrodite) so feel free to suggest

Sparta's most important temple was that of Artemis Orthia; its most important festival was dedicated to Hyacinthus; as for the third, Ares was not really worshipped in Sparta (although he was respected as a decent warrior; in Athens he was just despised as a weak troublemaker); maybe include the war goddess Athena, who had an old temple in Sparta

In some instances like with the Seleucids, players are given the option to choose between Greek (Apollo), Babylonian (Nabu) and Persian (Ahura Mazda) gods. These are the 3 "main" branches of religion in the Seleucid Empire.

The Seleucid Empire was characterized by a high level of Hellinizations, not only because of the influx of Greek colonists, but especially because the locals voluntarily tried to emulate them; Greek-ness was prestigious and modern; millennia old cities started constructing Greek buildings and were proud of them; likewise, they equated their local gods with Greek equivalents (interpretatio graeca); Akkadian cults were already in decline before Alexander's cults and Zoroastrism only became important and widespread under the Sassanids; you'd better stick to Hellenized gods (Zeus, Cybele, Tyche, Apollo, Artemis, etc)

Likewise with Macedon although Thaulos is not a widespread god you nevertheless are given the option of choosing a local god over the Olympians

[...]

If I prefer Thaulos over the Olympians I am able to choose him as Cheif Deity of Macedon

Nothing wrong with Thaulos, although he was equated with Ares since Classical times; you could name him “Ares Thaulos”

Anubis

Anubis didn't have a cult of his own in Hellenistic, he was usually part of the cults of other gods (Osiris, Isis, Serapis, etc.). When Alexander invaded Egypt he worshipped Zeus-Ammon (a combination of the supreme gods of the Greek (Zeus) and Egyptian (Amun) pantheons); he even travelled hundreds of miles to visit the oracle of Ammon at Siwa, and afterwards proclaim himself the son of Zeus-Ammon; Ptolemy stole Alexander's corpse, built a magnificent tomb at Alexandria; the Zeus-Ammon cult continued well into Roman times

And this is true, Romulus and Remus aren't exactly gods, more like legendary personages and thus they can't be added here

Be careful with imposing our modern day terms upon Antiquity; history, legend, myth and ancestor, hero, god greatly overlapped; many legendary persons had their own temples and local cults; heroes such as Hercules or the Dioscuri (Castor and Pollux) were worshipped everywhere in the Mediterranean and probably had more temples than most gods. You're right to exclude Remus, he was little more than just a name, only required in the myth to be killed; however, Romulus was deified as Quirinus, one of the oldest gods in Rome.

Players should be able to choose between obscure, ancient and new religions

Again, be careful; there were no separate religions in Antiquity; it was a continuum of local cults, people could decide themselves which gods were worshipped; foreign gods were continually equated to or absorb into local pantheons; nor was there any difference between religion and politics: cities decided on religious matters, festivals, temples, etc, and priests had political power.

Again, please consider my criticisms as encouragement :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

Also by any chance would you know anyone who can make icons?

Does anyone see a way of adding these techs without new icons?

There are images of statues of most of these deities that could be taken as a template.

Remembering some commits and looking at the incomplete 2D Art part of the credits section,

we can see @Pureon , @wowgetoffyourcellphone  and @Lion.Kanzen made some icons.

Maybe ask Lion if he has the qualification, time and interest to do so.