0abc mod

Nescio

On 12/21/2019 at 11:37 PM, Stan` said:

Could you make the ABC slightly smaller, so the A and the B won't touch? (Or use kerning.) And did you also use Linux Libertine Display for the caption (great!) or only for the ABC? Furthermore, do you think you could insert a second line:

ϴABC
0 A.D. is Actually Before Christ!
A modification of 0 A.D. “Empires Ascendant”.

Maybe make the bold initials golden for emphasis.

I apologize for being hard-to-please.

Edited by Nescio
emphasis

On 12/21/2019 at 3:28 PM, Stan` said:

What changed? @Alexandermb

Nothing, mostly animations i've changed was melee sword/spear attacking animations adding more motion/smooth transition. Wow is right, it probably would be an updated but not uploaded blend file.

Would it be better replace melee attacking animaitons with "Static" and by static i mean remove the front step motion from the overal animation. i like The hoplite gif aswell the front step make it looks like a Gif being played. Wich was the first rule i kept by making melee animations following as it was before.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:31 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

IIRC, the blend file had an older version of the animation. Oh well. 

2 hours ago, Nescio said:

How do you like this?

Is this too crowded?

Should pikemen be allowed on the walls?

(Those are actually serious questions.)

By the way, most walls are 12 (short), 24 (medium), and 36 (long) long, except for ptol (which are slightly longer) and sele (which are slightly shorter), which is somewhat annoying. Could those actors be resized to match the walls of other civilizations? @LordGood, @Stan`?

Furthermore, I really like the palisade-length (5 (short), 10 (medium), 15 (long)) Carthaginian low walls. In my mod they can be built in the town phase, keeping the city walls for the city phase. It would be great if other civs would also have small walls like Carthage.

3 hours ago, Freagarach said:

I really like the second and third images :) Probably the pikeman can't attack anything from up there I guess?

No, they can't attack (maybe something for A24?), but they get additional vision, armour, and can't be hit by melee attacks either. Basically what I did months ago with outposts (see this post).

In the past month I've made numerous changes to my 0abc mod (A23), overhauling several things. Recent changes include, but are not limited to:

• greater armour differences, e.g. sabremen have 8/6/6/4, which means they take about 52% more damage from spearmen (thrust) than from maceman (crush)
  • soldier health is proportional to food cost (1 food equals 2 health), armour is there to differntiate between classes
  • lowered unit base speed (9→10→8)
  • changed resource usage:
    • all technologies cost silver (and time), no other resources
    • female gatherers cost food
    • soldiers cost food and iron
    • siege engines cost iron and wood
    • ships and traders cost food, iron, and wood
    • mercenaries and slaves cost silver instead of normal resources
  • walls:
    • corrected footprints, obstruction sizes, status bar positions, etc.
    • cost and health are made proportional to wall length
    • walls (including wall towers) have no longer any vision or attack of their own; instead, they have visible garrison slots:
      • short wooden/siege/town wall: 3, short city walls: 4
      • medium wooden/siege/town wall: 6, short city walls: 8
      • medium wooden/siege/town wall: 9, short city walls: 12
      • cart, rome, and wooden/siege/town tower: 8, other city wall towers: 4
      • gates vary, because they all look different (which is great)
        • unfortunately gates can't lock when there are units on top; hopefully that'll be fixed in A24
    • instead of one aura for all, there are now several, the one used depends on the height (<Y>) of the visible garrison slot:
      • wall up to 4: units get +1 armour (all types) and +5 vision
      • wall up to 8: units get +2 armour (all types) and +10 vision
      • wall up to 12: units get +3 armour (all types) and +15 vision
      • wall up to 16: units get +4 armour (all types) and +20 vision
      • wall up to 20: units get +5 armour (all types) and +25 vision
      • wall up to 24: units get +6 armour (all types) and +30 vision
  • Carthage can build low walls in town phase and apartment blocks in city phase, as well as upgrade their centres:
    Spoiler

Carthage.thumb.png.365840bd5499cf24573635fa1ec15e2a.png

• Mauryas start with a pillar and a chariot (because it looks nice):
    Spoiler

maur.thumb.png.ca8c86a8f7f90e7ebcfa2e44826577c3.png

• structures now have shared selection groups, which means double-clicking on e.g. a large tower will select all your large towers in view, regardless which civ originally built them
  • numerous other tweaks and corrections.

As usual, see the 0abc-readme.pdf (opening post) for more detailed information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nescio said:

Carthage can build low walls in town phase and apartment blocks in city phase,

We need this in vanilla as well. Not including the apartment blocks was a mistake, and low walls would be nice for all civs, even if it's just for us single player guys who love to beautify our base...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sundiata said:

We need this in vanilla as well. Not including the apartment blocks was a mistake, and low walls would be nice for all civs, even if it's just for us single player guys who love to beautify our base...

Right now Carthage is the only civ that has them. I'd love to have low walls for all civs (they're very appropiate for the town phase), keeping the massive city walls for the city phase. It requires skilled, motivated artists to make them, though.

Also, the apartment blocks and low walls need their own icons.

On 1/22/2020 at 2:33 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

check those icons (in he GUI) this isnt what @Nescio means?

Yes, I still want small, simple, and clear weapon icons (pike, spear, sword, sabre, axe, mace and javelin, bow-and-arrow, crossbow, sling, staff-sling, throwing-axe), to allow identifying soldier types at a single glance, without having to hover your cursor over their portrait to list their name and classes.

17 hours ago, Stan` said:

I like the the third from the left

D2503

20 hours ago, Nescio said:

Also, can those barrels, boxes, carpets, shields, and weapons be removed from cart and ptol walls?

Stuff like that doesn't belong on walls, and the walls of other civs are clean, as they ought to be.

5 hours ago, Nescio said:

Yes, I still want small, simple, and clear weapon icons (pike, spear, sword, sabre, axe, mace and javelin, bow-and-arrow, crossbow, sling, staff-sling, throwing-axe), to allow identifying soldier types at a single glance, without having to hover your cursor over their portrait to list their name and classes.

minimalistic... that is all you want. maybe when i finish with my map icons for mods.

if you want a request there would be more easy to me share with all.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks promising! I'm not not too sure about the ends, though, thrusting spears could have points to stick them in the ground, but javelins not really.

Could you make the lines thicker, so it'll still look good when small? Also, the heads appear to be transparent.