0abc mod

Nescio

On 6/4/2018 at 5:42 PM, Nescio said:

Today it was announced Microsoft intends to acquire github.com ($7.5bn). I might move to gitlab.com in the future.

Just for the record, Gitlab used to host its servers on Microsoft Azure until very recently, now it's Google's https://about.gitlab.com/2018/04/05/gke-gitlab-integration/

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

0abc has been largely updated to A23. Changes include, but are not limited to:

•  introduced a new resource: silver
  • pierce damage is split into pierce (arrows) and thrust (spears)
  • units and some structures steadily consume small amounts of resources (upkeep)
  • increased unit training and technology research times
  • a greater variety of aura range visualization markers
  • merged Athenians and Spartans into a single faction, the Greeks
  • disabled unit promotion, champions, heroes, team bonuses; they might be reintroduced at a later stage
  • all civilization bonuses and penalties are replaced with new ones
  • structures:
    • economic structures can be constructed in neutral territory
    • dropsites are just that: dropsites; all economic technologies are moved to the market, which is now available in the village phase
    • town phase requires a market, city phase a temple
    • centres can be part of trade routes
    • walls are stronger but also more expensive and slower to construct; all factions have palisades (village), siege walls (town), and city walls (city)
    • fortresses have a territory root, are purely defensive structures, have somewhat more health, but no longer train any units
    • all factions have cavalry stables (village) and siege workshops (town); most have separate economic docks (village) and military shipyards (town); many have elephant stables (city)
  • units:
    • all units are bribable (vision sharing), except for fauna
    • fauna is no longer visible in fog
    • female citizens renamed to women; they can no longer build or repair
    • cavalry can no longer gather resources
    • camelry, chariotry, and elephantry are no longer considered cavalry
    • chariotry can no longer attack ships, siege, or structures
    • siege engines are no longer capturable
    • battering rams can no longer attack organic units
    • all factions can construct rams (town)
    • changed population costs:
      • dogs and ships: 0
      • support and infantry: 1
      • camelry and cavalry: 2
      • biga chariots and siege engines: 4
      • quadriga chariots, war elephants, and siege towers: 6
  • numerous minor tweaks and balances, most of which will probably go unnoticed
  • Like 3

And a screenshot to show off some of the new range visiluation markers used:

533269645_Screenshotfrom2018-10-1511-13-28.thumb.png.904ac6be80684b5782ff5926206bf2bc.png

Attack range (javelinist): narrow line. Economic aura (woman): zigzag. Regeneration aura (temple): chain of crosses. Healing range (healer): crosses with regular distances in between.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

mod.io?

Nope, still github: https://github.com/0abc/0abc-a23.git

mod.io is nice in some respects, but it also adds extra work for modders (uploading to github via the command-line takes a few seconds; last time I tried mod.io it cost me over an hour) and the team (who have to check and give permission); for me it's not worth it. Besides, my mod is work in progress, I constantly make changes, and having to ask for a verification every time I change something is highly inefficient.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Updated 0abc:

• checked A23b compability (no changes were required)
  • changed player colours: 0°, 225°, 90°, 315°, 180°, 45°, 270°, 135°
  • increased unit training times
  • new civilization bonuses:
    • Carthaginians: traders −20% training time
    • Mauryas: elephants −20% training time
    • Persians: archers −20% training time
    • Romans: siege weapons −20% construction time
  • incorporated @Feldfeld's D1707
286096889_Screenshotfrom2019-01-1214-49-05.png.bf71f4bc1c6634902ebbf729ff1b9d39.png

0abc updated:

• centres can only train one unit, a basic melee infantry
  • soldiers cost silver instead of metal and wood:
    • dogs: 30 food, 0 silver
    • infantry: 30 food, 30 silver
    • camelry: 75 food, 50 silver
    • cavalry: 90 food, 60 silver
    • bigae: 180 food, 120 silver
    • quadrigae: 300 food, 180 silver
    • elephantry: 300 food, 300 silver
  • AI difficulty levels no longer have resource stockpiling bonus or penalty; instead, they get a multiplier on building, training, and research times:
    • Very Hard: 50%
    • Hard: 71%
    • Medium: 100%
    • Easy: 141%
    • Very Easy: 200%
    • Sandbox: 300%
  • A few other corrections
  • Like 1

I tried your mod and looking smooth though I guess unfinished but really playable. 

So no hero/champs yet? And promotion as well?

I think silver is a nice addition and make sense that soldiers cost food and silver. 

Women not farming? And no hunters too? 

If soldiers cost silver and food only is there a way that some resources can be sold automatically so the player doesn’t need to micro to buy silver. It’s really hard to acquire silver if you don’t trade especially if you will be alone. Say for example you set the limit of resources that can’t be sold at 500, any excess can be sold for silver automatically. If the current game allows you to barter at 100 minimum then any hundred in excess of the bar can be sold or barter automatically to any resources to which you wanted. 

Edited by Servo

Yes, my mod is unfinished, as is 0 A.D.; however, both are playable without errors and development is ongoing.

Heroes have been disabled because super-power heroes are something that belong in mythology or comic books, not in something which values realism. Champions, promotion, and ranks are temporarily disabled too, although I intend to reintroduce them eventually, I just haven't decided in what form.

Women can farm and hunt and gather all resource types; they just can't build, to differentiate them from infantry.

Centres generate a slow trickle of silver, which increases in each phase. If you want more silver, you have to build a market, which is available in the village phase and a requirement for the town phase. Also, merchant ships cost 0 population, but their number is limited to 20.

When you click from one market to another then train a trader it comes out but garrison to the end market. It works/trades only if you click the trader from one market to the other.

Humn I’m going to try the women’s if they really are farming.

One thing that I observed too is that the AI took a lot of time to really become aggressive and it’s brutality seemed diminished. I’m not sure if I will play against 2 so they can trade immediately and get more silver which imo hinders their ability.

I was testing the mod again and this time I tried with some water map (Hellas) and got error after couple of minutes and won’t disappear at all. I just took some pictures. I used the Greeks and I think Persian and Ptolomy as my opponents.

it seems like for mainland map there’s  not much error just the normal ogg one.

Yeah the women can farm but cavs don’t hunt which I don’t mind at all. 

A4C51AC3-7ADB-4454-928B-108B8EF5F6C8.jpeg

D63FFA85-A0D4-4294-A2AB-6E6622D710BA.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Oh that’s why he said unfinished. No the game was barely a few minutes and if the error is disappearing I could have continued the game without any naval military units but I can make a very nice base with just land units defending and see how the Petra performs. 

Anyhow I saved the map/and game hoping that when fixes come I can resume it. I couldn’t reproduce some nice random maps and this one I considered one of my best map to play infinity and testing a 1000 pop. Thanks!

774	    let civ = gameState.getPlayerCiv();
775	    let trainableShips = [];
776	    gameState.getOwnTrainingFacilities().filter(API3.Filters.byMetadata(PlayerID, "sea", sea)).forEach(function(ent) {
777	        let trainables = ent.trainableEntities(civ);
778	        for (let trainable of trainables)
779	        {
780	            if (gameState.isTemplateDisabled(trainable))
781	                continue;
782	            let template = gameState.getTemplate(trainable);
783	            if (template && template.hasClass("Ship") && trainableShips.indexOf(trainable) === -1)
784	                trainableShips.push(trainable);
785	        }
786	    });

The offending code. I guess it cannot iterate in undefined. Could be fixed by adding a little check

774	    let civ = gameState.getPlayerCiv();
775	    let trainableShips = [];
776	    gameState.getOwnTrainingFacilities().filter(API3.Filters.byMetadata(PlayerID, "sea", sea)).forEach(function(ent) {
777	        let trainables = ent.trainableEntities(civ);
778	        if (!trainables)
779	            return;
780	        for (let trainable of trainables)
781	        {
782	            if (gameState.isTemplateDisabled(trainable))
783	                continue;
784	            let template = gameState.getTemplate(trainable);
785	            if (template && template.hasClass("Ship") && trainableShips.indexOf(trainable) === -1)
786	                trainableShips.push(trainable);
787	        }
788	    });

Hummnn I tried Hellas again and have this error. I’m not sure it it happens when there is a water in the map. Iirc maybe it happened too on Frontier randomly generated map with water.

Anyhow I will just do mainland because it seems to have no error. 

I think I pointed out before also that loading time took a lot while but now seemed improved especially probably up to normal size map or maybe large. I tried very large and it takes a minute or so now. It starts to generate to 41% and stayed there for awhile then goes to 58% and stayed there a less little while then shoot somewhere 96% then a few seconds to 100% then stayed around 10 secs. Also I notice that loading the same game with more units and buildings are more faster than generating to start it, me nub.

One more thing training women takes a lot longer? It’s double than the infantry.

Your idea of training units with silver and food is a big and very bold step to have a better gameplay. Hope someday armories and weapons maker like in Stronghold might be included so that weapons are required to train military units. Some weapons can be available from the start so we can train additional until fabricated weapons are in the armory. Armories can be inside barracks or stables or in any possible structures that would need such specific weapons. Armory techs can be researched somewhere so that a barracks or stables would upgrade into different model indicating it has armory or weapons storage and weapons can be dropped off:mellow:. Just dreaming...

94E35D0F-4E63-47AF-9530-D06E3C9046FF.jpeg

8 hours ago, Servo said:

Hummnn I tried Hellas again and have this error.

Thank you for pointing this out. Actually those are different errors: there are problems with some templates used in the map.

Today I went through all random maps and discovered ten of them are having errors. I've now added more templates to solve five of them (Caledonian Meadows, Extinct Volcano, Hellas, Pompeii, and Wall Demo). The five others (Danubius, Elephantine, Jebel Barkal, Survival of the Fittest, and Wild Lake) still have errors.

Let me know if you encounter any other problems.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2019 at 3:01 PM, Servo said:

cavs don’t hunt

Indeed, cavalry can kill animals but they can't gather any resources; they're the elite, menial work is for footmen.

8 hours ago, Servo said:

One more thing training women takes a lot longer? It’s double than the infantry.

Training times are increased for almost all units. Melee infantry requires 30 s standard, ranged infantry up to 75 s (basically the longer the range, the longer the training time). Support units cost 60 s by default, but for women it can be reduced by 20% by researching the Fertility Festival technology. So yes, women take longer to train than melee infantry, but they're also much cheaper, costing only food, no silver, and they can be trained at houses.

8 hours ago, Servo said:

I think I pointed out before also that loading time took a lot while but now seemed improved especially probably up to normal size map or maybe large.

Mods are never faster than the default game. Apparently the more templates a mod has, the longer it takes to set up an AI.

There was an error but hard to catch and take pictures. I’m not sure if they can be retrieved from the files. When I try to build a wall or palisade the error occurred but they were plotted and the unit can still build it and the error disappeared too which is good enough for me as long as the game continues without those errors blocking the screen. I will try to take the pix when I continue the game... Btw I used Greeks on this game.

Also I’m curious as to why you impose a 20 meters distance between houses, Sometimes the combination of these houses can produce pretty arts. 

Edited by Servo

0abc updated again:

• disabled blacksmith; moved infantry technologies to barracks and cavalry technologies to stables
  • phase technologies no longer cost food:
    • town phase: 400 wood, 400 metal, 400 stone
    • city phase: 800 wood, 800 metal, 800 stone
    • metropolis phase: 1200 wood, 1200 metal, 1200 stone (currently unavailable because adding phases is less straightforward in A23 than it was in A22)
  • gather technologies no longer cost food:
    • first level (village phase): 300 wood, 200 metal
    • second level (town phase): 600 wood, 400 metal
    • third level (city phase): 900 wood, 600 metal
    • fourth level (metropolis phase): 1200 wood, 800 metal (currently unavailable)
  • disabled women aura
  • removed building distance of houses; you can now build them adjacent to each other again.
  • a few other tweaks and corrections