===[TASK]=== Kushite Units, Unit Textures, and Unit Props

wowgetoffyourcellphone

Yeah, feathers are good, but should ideally be reserved for the "Nubian" units (both Nubian Archer, and Nubian Spearmen). 

They're an archaic residual from Kerma-period Kushites, not necessarily used by Meroitic units from the Butana heartland. 

LordGood is doing very good work here, once again.

@Lion.Kanzen Yes, those are a lot less stereotyped! Loved that show...

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 2

Those are based on Ancient Egyptian hairstyles worn by nobility and young princes. I kind of like it.

Spoiler

04b7823bfcde6baf249382b877e30184--egyptian-art-hairstyle.jpg.5fff1744c2a8e081f64efb88d8aa8f1b.jpg

5994ebf1aa800_AncientEgyptianroyalhairstyle.thumb.jpg.da6ab826d52b65280d343b1a7eb7ea3d.jpg

Reminiscent of more southern hairstyles I've seen, but I'm having difficulty finding those at short notice. These much more southern examples will do for now :P :

himba-woman-with-the-typical-double-plait-hairstyle-kaokoland-namibia-DGAHYK.thumb.jpg.86bddebbb9ead0d8eeff78b32e88f125.jpg

hair14.jpg.2e5b77f5976e761d594803c9455ac56b.jpg

himbastyle.jpg.5f3b7456305c86cd8d8833c8628ec896.jpg

Here's a modern example of Hamar (South Ethiopian, Omo Valley) women still wearing those quintessentially Nubian ochre red dyed locks. 4000 year old hairstyle yo...

Spoiler

5994f0f3c2e27_Hamar-enske.jpg.5348c91c4ff593529e3108bcf24a2348.jpg

hqdefault.jpg.bcdb8eabd5d215b3122822f4c236c436.jpg

Units with this hairstyle ("Nubians") are the ones that get (ostrich) feathers. Either no feather, 1 feather, or 3 feathers.

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Khopesh.

kush_khopesh.7z

I would suggest a couple things: 1, the mesh needs a thickness, like the other swords in the game have. 2, I think the blade should be slightly exaggerated in shape, the curve. This is from looking at it in-game. #1 is most important tho. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

@LordGood Although for now, they're not in the list of units, they could/should be recruitable from the Apedemak temple. I'm definitely not opposed to epsilon axes. One of the total war mods that feature "Apedemak's faithful" also equips them with those axes..

The thing is, Kush has a relatively large list of potential units, and I don't really know where the limit is. I'd like to see as many as possible, but I'm scared people might complain about them becoming overpowered. Any thoughts?

Edited by Sundiata

My only thought is that they'd look badass. I dont play enough comp 0AD to get a sense of the 'power rankings' more than 'this is annoying to fight'.

Lots of different civs have to choose what units can be trained, (by lots i mean 2 but i like the sound of it)

Carthaginians can have  a full mercenary roster, and seleucids have their champion divergence. Perhaps the kushites could have both. Unless there was some super divergence where you had to choose between  a full roster of mercenary troops or your temple champions which would be quite choice let me tell you

I still love the axeman>swordsman idea

ApedemakWarrior.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's my suggestion. Have a generic temple that can upgrade, i.e. give allegiance, to either Apedemak or Amun. Apedemak Temple gives you the Apedemak's Faithful axeman -- anti-building-- and the Amun Temple gives you the Napatan Temple Guard khopeshman -- anti-infantry. Each temple also comes with a couple of unique techs.

If any civ could use the Age of Mythology minor god choice UI, it would be the Kushites. Wish that was possible. Would be my ideal choice actually, but upgrading the Temples would be a good secondary choice.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone