===[TASK]=== Kushite Units, Unit Textures, and Unit Props

wowgetoffyourcellphone

Those primitive looking, painted units should only be used for Nuba mercenaries. Meroitic urban population, which was very large ( 25 cities and towns between Maharaqqa and Napata alone, Northern half of Kush), would not have appeared like this...

The Thyreos shield featured in one of the pics, is very plausible, for at least some individual soldiers returning from Ptolemaic Egypt, or captured from Galatian mercs used by the Ptolies, but the exact reference eludes me, so it should be used sparingly, if at all.

I'm not familiar with the reference behind the shield carried by those "Kulus Bomani"

Those irregularly shaped hide-shields of the "Mistophoroi Kushitoi" are based entirely on Tuareg hide shields from West-Africa, which is wrong. Hide shields for Kushites should be oval-shaped, made of oxhide or alternatively wicker, (or both).

@wackyserious Yeah, needs to be oval or round, not pointy like that. Their textures are all a bit too fantastical for my taste. I prefer to stick to what we know: elephant-, rhino-, hippo- or ox-hide or wicker- round-shields or oval shields.

New Kingdom Egyptian inspiration is also good (wooden shields covered in animal hide: cow or leopard), for infantry.

For cavalry, I'd advice round-shields though, like the shield carried by this old-school Beja warrior:

Spoiler

This hairstyle and attire is the exact reference for Beja (Blemmeye) camel-mercs, by the way. .

b65b15d040bdd99be0ce03d54eaf41a1.jpg.27875305721103c8fcf30141099456dc.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

@wowgetoffyourcellphone "Looks like Egyptian-style quilted corselets are a no-go,",   Kushite style quilted cotton corselets should definitely be used for ranking Meroitic cavalry and infantry. Just not for Beja (Blemmye) mercenary units.

@wackyserious very nice, just scale down the leopard skin texture because it's too big like that, and replace the giraffe skin with cow-hide, like the Medjay:

Spoiler

Cow-hide shield texture should be the basic shield texture for Nubian infantry, before ranking to leopard skin.

egpytian_museum_cairo_5012.jpg.f8c1171411b0f90a85c215dfa59f4dd9.jpg

If you look well, four of the Nubian, oval, cow-hide shields can be seen here on a painted chest from Tutankhamen's tomb. The more elaborate Egyptian shield design can be used for the Napatan temple-guard (axemen)

egypt-fighting.jpg.b5bb49a2ba7054468ea90291addbf8b9.jpg

I also noticed you corrected the color of their heads, nice...

Also try to avoid the zebra skin you used in some the earlier versions. Thanks!

@Lion.Kanzen for the moment, I don't think we need shield symbols..

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

I found some cow and zebra hide (The ones below) in the base game texture folder (it uses the Thureos mesh)

Here is a comparison of the basic oval shield mesh vs. the thureos mesh (Bottom w/ texture already part of the base game)

There are two variations of the thureos mesh in the game, one that is slightly curved and one that is not.

I am wondering if we could use the slightly curved thureos mesh for the kushites?

59929c9a7beb1_081517-Kushites.jpg.4320a62c3e1e57f405a1b1d752557b89.jpg

• Like 1

@wackyserious I'm really loving the work! Great job! Large oval shields like that, would have had a pole running down the middle of it, for stability purposes, so the central spine really isn't that bad..

But why the zebra hide? I've never seen any kind of reference for Kushites doing anything with zebras whatsoever... It looks more like a stereotype. Zebras never inhabited that part of Sudan, only the southern tip of South Sudan, south of the marshes, called the Sud, South of Kushite control.

The cowhide is 100% perfect! The cowhide shield is what most base level infantry would have used, and should be the standard shield.

6 hours ago, Sundiata said:

But why the zebra hide? I've never seen any kind of reference for Kushites doing anything with zebras whatsoever... It looks more like a stereotype. Zebras never inhabited that part of Sudan, only the southern tip of South Sudan, south of the marshes, called the Sud, South of Kushite control.

Sooooome artistic license? 

• Thanks 1

Why take artistic licenses where its unnecessary? I can understand if you don't have the full picture and need to make a leap of faith between historical sources. Even so, keeping hold of things that can be inferred from surrounding contemporary sources and the environment will keep you on the right track generally.

Romanticism and exoticism will eventually lead to the "Hollywood problem" we try to avoid here lol

though we could have half naked spartans and zombie ninja persian immortals

• Like 2