===[TASK]=== Kushite Units, Unit Textures, and Unit Props

wowgetoffyourcellphone

2 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Oooh...! Nice texture!!! Ok, this comes to mind: could you use this texture for the back of the lower tier Nubian spearmen (front should stay cowhide), then @Nescio can sleep soundly ;)

This will double the number of textures, which is currently 6, for the cow hide. I suggest that we distribute the solid wood / laminated or segmented / wicker in the current textures. Which means there will be two or each in the total number of 6 cow hide textures. This is to save space and reduce the complexity of the files since the detail is only located at the back of the mesh and is not really that prominent during gameplay. What do you guys think?

I was confused for a second but I think I know what you mean now. Both sides of the shield are mapped so that the front and back are on the same texture huh? Would you be willing to split the front and back into different actors? That both halves texture size and allows for different configurations of front and back textures without duplicating them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LordGood said:

I was confused for a second but I think I know what you mean now. Both sides of the shield are mapped so that the front and back are on the same texture huh? Would you be willing to split the front and back into different actors? That both halves texture size and allows for different configurations of front and back textures without duplicating them.

Can you explain this process? I'll work on it. I'm confused as to how this will work since there is only one mesh.

I'll make some new shields lol, you just need to halve the textures so there are one of each laminated/wicker back textures and just all of the front sides without the back textures attached. The backs will be on different actors/meshes that will be prop-parented to the fronts, all the variation will be handled in .xml files instead of full blown texture files. That was your concern, yes?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Can you explain this process? I'll work on it. I'm confused as to how this will work since there is only one mesh.

Look at the Greek aspis actors. The front of the shield is a different actor, mesh, and texture from the back of the shield. The back actor is a prop on the front actor.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

5a6b63cdec9c8_012718-Nubian(Wickershield).thumb.jpg.153b01f2bb176873a40e3c16b287be39.jpg

Oh, my, fantastic!! They look really cool! 

If you feel compelled (I know you like shield variety), you could add some faint geometric designs like the Azande examples. If you want I can do it as well if you provide me the shield texture.

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Oh, my, fantastic!! They look really cool! 

If you feel compelled (I know you like shield diversity), you could add some faint geometric designs like the Azande examples. If you want I can do it as well if you provide me the shield texture.

The texture is found below the screenshot, it has a very low resolution though. 64x128