===[TASK]=== Kushite Units, Unit Textures, and Unit Props

wowgetoffyourcellphone

On 23/01/2018 at 11:36 PM, Alexandermb said:

i was working on the fisherman it took me about 4 hours to test something and still is WIP, i saw this post and decided to make this and rest a bit from the fisherman again i love more doing weapon's or mechanical animations rather than cloth/capes/humans hahaha.
For now it has 100 tris, wich isn't too much, so i hope you don't mind having 120 or 140 

Files for the scabbard ?
Files for the horse prop ?
@Sundiata what unit should get them ?
What units should get the new spear ?

@stanislas69, The scabbard is specifically for the Meroitic swordsmen, and can hang diagonally across their back (ideally), or hang at their waist (usually still suspended from a strap hanging accross the shoulder), so this might need a texture update for this unit as well (the strap).

About the horse-crown, we can either:

• 1) give it to the cavalry hero only
  • 2) Give the one with the black base to the royal cavalry (upgraded from noble cavalry who don't get it), and give the one with the golden base to the cavalry hero

I'd prefer option 2, but this depends on wether we go with "champion cavalry upgrade" (Noble Cavalry becomes Royal Cavalry after tech-research), and @Alexandermb using the gold texture base for the hero variation.

The new spear should be used by the champion cavalry (maybe noble cav gets it, and royal cav gets a longer lance). alternatively a scaled down version could be used as javelins by higher tier javelin cavalry.

8 hours ago, wackyserious said:

You double checked their creative licenses right?

Yes, it's all good ;) 

9 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Any idea on per unit tier variation of the hexagonal wicker shields?

I don't think Nuba units even need to rank up, that's how basic they can be. Of course that's a little boring, so you could:

• use plane shields for tier 1
  • use simple variations for tier 2
  • use complicated variations for tier 3 (and add a single simple bead-necklace)

@wowgetoffyourcellphone I think we need another variation for the face painting: Herodotus wrote the often quoted line: "When they went into battle they painted half their bodies with gypsum and the other half with vermilion" Which has an eery resemblance to some designs still popular up until recent times among the Nuba:

5a6c6dc6c59c6_Nubafacepaintinghalfhalf.thumb.jpg.1fdd9d626fb2676403c6f96480d91dae.jpg

Apparently a red hairdo with crest of short white feathers is a thing. More complicated geometric face paint designs: 

5a6c71cce83fd_Nubaredfeathercrestedhairdo.thumb.jpg.2be4d7adb8c6d2e18324fda254b86e25.jpg

6 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Edited the ones below, the cloth sash and the cloth wrapped around the shoulders is supposed to be a single piece. As you mentioned.

I think there was a misunderstanding: I meant to say that the cloth around his legs, is supposed to be the same colour as the cloth going around the shoulder. The entire thing is one cloth wrapped around the body in a particular way. The "belt", cloth around his waist, on the other hand could maybe be a different colour, although even that could be part of the same cloth. Up to you.

I think the Nubian sash on top of the tunic is a bit much though? The sash goes very well with that other elite spearman texture, but seems out of place on these ones. I hope I'm not too frustrating :/ 

Thoughts?

Edited by Sundiata

@wackyserious the Nuba merc shields look really cool! I still think the patterns could be a little less contrasty... Especially the dark brown on yellow and dark brown on beige stand out a little too much. I don't think they used paint, but rather wove the patterns directly in to the wicker, using lighter or darker coloured twigs, but not dyed. 

10 hours ago, Sundiata said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone I think we need another variation for the face painting: Herodotus wrote the often quoted line: "When they went into battle they painted half their bodies with gypsum and the other half with vermilion" Which has an eery resemblance to some designs still popular up until recent times among the Nuba:

This is not possible with the current UV maps of the head. It's the same problem with the unit meshes: The arms and legs are mirrored or reused, so there's no way to for example, make one arm be painted in white and the other arm painted orange. The face texture is mirrored so that there is no way to make the left half different from the right half. You'd need a new head mesh with a new UV map to do that. It wouldn't be hard to do for a modeler, in fact the game should have such a thing.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This is not possible with the current UV maps of the head. It's the same problem with the unit meshes: The arms and legs are mirrored or reused, so there's no way to for example, make one arm be painted in white and the other arm painted orange. The face texture is mirrored so that there is no way to make the left half different from the right half. You'd need a new head mesh with a new UV map to do that. It wouldn't be hard to do for a modeler, in fact the game should have such a thing.

Tell me which dae head mesh should be mirrored for that specific task (I could do it for every but I don't have the time) I'll do it and then bake the texture so that you can work on it :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Tell me which dae head mesh should be mirrored for that specific task (I could do it for every but I don't have the time) I'll do it and then bake the texture so that you can work on it :)

No, not mirrored. The existing head meshes are mirrored. We just need one that doesn't mirror the texture. I need to make you a texture first.