===[TASK]=== Kushite Units, Unit Textures, and Unit Props

wowgetoffyourcellphone

On 2/7/2018 at 7:35 AM, elexis said:

But then there were no surprise effect when we would announce to implement Kushites for alpha 23 rather than just randomly committing that on a tuesday night after months of preparation with the best contributors for the job at hand.

Maybe a separate announcement here in the forums and in the social networking site accounts was the lacking factor. A simultaneous announcement would have more effect, since only those familiar with the trac timeline will know of the implementation of the Kushite faction. @Lion.Kanzen Indeed sensed it. :) Congratulations to @Sundiata and to the fellow contributors.

• Like 3

Just now, wackyserious said:

What would be the color of Harsiotef's horse?

I love specific questions like that, even if I don't have the answer... :PĀ 

I haven't seen any specific mentions of horse colours during 0AD's timeframe, but in the later post-Meroitic and Christian periods, a black horse with white socks was specifically mentioned as the preferred type. So I coincidentally used an appropriateĀ type in my example...

Spoiler

5a7794dc5824b_Kushherocavalryharsiotef.jpg.a361d5522969dfb8f244d9ee11e81bbd.thumb.jpg.8504873316e67aaf7354e411d0a1c759.jpg

Ā 

Christian Nubia:

5a7f10720a13c_Horsemeninfarascathedralchristiannubiamedievalperiod.thumb.png.a07b4f8aa136a56af553004bcd6f0747.png

Ā 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 15/02/2018 at 5:13 AM, Sundiata said:

@stanislas69Ā And these are the pointy wicker shield references from Sudan, if you're feeling for an improved pointy shield mesh..

5a855cc57e214_Sudanwickerrattanshield.thumb.jpg.bd3abf5e9feb5524c2a5d8ff57cfa5d7.jpg

This would be awesome for the Kushites/Noba^ Maybe use the octagon shields for one of the Noba units (Maceman?), and these for the other (javelineer?).

Ā 

I made these from the Xiongnu shields from TM:

z1ZOG9t.jpg

They seem to fit the references, where the shield is more toward the shoulder.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2021 at 4:50 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This would be awesome for the Kushites/Noba^ Maybe use the octagon shields for one of the Noba units (Maceman?), and these for the other (javelineer?).

Go for it!

By the way, those type of shields were used as far south as Uganda. There was a Kingdom called Buganda, referred to as Waganda in the older literature (not making this up), who used similar shields (slightly larger):

Waganda Buganda Baganda Ganda spearman history warrior Uganda Africa.jpg

Ā 

Nubian merc 2000 years earlier with a similarly shaped shield:

Ptolemaic army Nubian merc pointy shield.jpg

On 6/6/2021 at 4:50 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I made these from the Xiongnu shields from TM:

z1ZOG9t.jpg

They seem to fit the references, where the shield is more toward the shoulder.

Those look really great man!Ā 

The shields remind me a littleĀ of another Ptolemaic figurine of a southern mercenary (or police or something), clearly mounted. Almost exactly the same as another such figure I've shared here before:

Ptolemaic terracotta figurine kushite nubian warrior mercenary.jpgNubian mercenary cavalry in Ptolemaic Egypt.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2