===[TASK]=== Kushite Units, Unit Textures, and Unit Props

wowgetoffyourcellphone

14 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Archaeology can only provide evidence for what can be found, not for what can't be found or is lost. Or for something intangible, such as no “significant cultural changes”, which to me sounds either arrogant or ignorant.

Dude, I'm not going to refocus my research on the cultural changes in the periphery of Kush over the past 2000 years. That's a thesis right there... Certain things are obvious. They were tall. Perhaps the tallest people in the ancient world. They were known for it then. They are known for it today.. 

14 minutes ago, Nescio said:

however, the axe head shown about a dozen posts earlier was less than 15 cm, so perhaps use that as an indication for the total axe length.

Why do you want to make everything smaller??? lol... The Axe-head depicted in the relief literally directly underneath the image you're referring to is easily 40cm..! The Khopesh could indeed be smaller. Axe is perfect as is.

10 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Any suggestion to enhance our guy Nastasen? Which props should he use? Weapons, shields, plus horse props

That spear/lance alexander made 

Ideed, like Wow said, he can have the cobra on the skullcap. He can even have 2 cobras (seriously).

For now he should have the round rhino-hide shield, but ideally, there would be some bronze finishing on the shield (shieldboss and decorated circular cutout on the edge)

Edited by Sundiata

12 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Dude, I'm not going to refocus my research on the cultural changes in the periphery of Kush over the past 2000 years. That's a thesis right there... Certain things are obvious. They were tall. Perhaps the tallest people in the ancient world. They were known for it then. They are known for it today..

While I like discussing with you, I know nothing about the Dinka or other peoples in that part of the world. If you say so, I'll believe you. I'd just like to point out the obvious isn't always true. (E.g. up to the present day most people believe the Black Death was spread by rats, although different modern sciences have proven that can't be true - but that's a different topic.)

12 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Why do you want to make everything smaller??? lol... The Axe-head depicted in the relief directly underneath the image you're referring to is easily 40cm..! The Khopesh could indeed be smaller. Axe is perfect as is.

No, I don't want to make everything smaller, I just like to avoid an unrealistically long sword. In fact, I have no objections at all if the axe is longer than the sword, or shorter for that matter; I was just referring to the 10 cm ruler in this image:

2 hours ago, Sundiata said:

5a646a85b71ce_Kushiteaxe.jpg.1d50e8ae35ef8a9ff197f3c3cec52af5.jpg

Edited by Nescio
ce

3 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Capture3.PNG

The sword of the man on the left is hard to see because of its thinness. The central person should hold the axe lower, certainly not at the middle. Otherwise the axe seems fine to me. The sword'sblade length could be reduced slightly more, but it already looks much better.

Check the repo, I updated the following actor files with the new textures

• Infantry champions (archer, swordsman and axeman)
  • Nastasen (Hero spear cavalry)

Next will be basic infantry, @Sundiata where should linen corselet start to appear? At advanced rank with no accessories? At elite rank, what would it be? Extra accessories like armbands and necklaces? What about padded clothing?

It would be better if the axe was held still closer to the end to make it more effective in combat (cf. the sword's grip).

The weapons' lengths seem reasonable, the colours I don't know (what kind of materials were used? bronze?) Also, are the shields supposed to be flat or curved? A wooden panel covered with animal skin (heavy) or an animal skin spanned on a wooden frame (much lighter)?

Edited by Nescio
ce

26 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Next will be basic infantry, @Sundiata where should linen corselet start to appear? At advanced rank with no accessories? At elite rank, what would it be? Extra accessories like armbands and necklaces? What about padded clothing?

We need a simple single string bead necklace in addition of the royal beaded necklace we have now.

Something like this?

kush_infantry archer & Kush_infantry_spearman (Nubian Units):

tier 1: Bare chest, nothing special. 

tier 2: bare chest, Nubian sash, bronze ankle-bands, ostrich feather in hair (maybe only for archers)

tier 3: try using the tunic wowgetoffyourcellphone created for the Blemmye camel rider, Nubian sash, simple necklace, bronze ankle-bands, 2 or three ostrich feathers (maybe only for archers)

Kush_infantry_swordsman:

tier 1: linen corselet

tier 2: linen corselet or that other cloth armour variant, (medium) necklace

tier 3: quilted cotton vest, (medium) necklace, bronze ankle-bands cotton skullcap

Kush_infantry_pikeman: check: https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22765-kushites-units-unit-textures-and-unit-props/&do=findComment&comment=347005

tier 1: bare chest 

tier 2: linen corselet and other cloth armour

tier 3: quilted cotton armour, almost ankle length loincloth, bronze armbands, cotton skullcap 

Feel free to play around with it, to achieve the most authentic feeling combination of things. Lower tier never has armour (except swordsmen because they're cool). Try avoiding the royal necklaces. Good for champions, not so good for regulars.

Edited by Sundiata
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Nescio said:

It would be better if the axe was held still closer to the end to make it more effective in combat (cf. the sword's grip).

2 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Sorry but this is too far... When you hold an axe like that you have maximum strength in your swing, but minimal accuracy. There's a trade off! The previous position was perfect! Perfect balance between strength and accuracy.

5 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Sorry but this is too far... When you hold an axe like that you have maximum strength in your swing, but minimal accuracy. There's a trade off! The previous position was perfect! Perfect balance between strength and accuracy.

Shall we settle at 20% of the length then, just like the relief?

• Like 1

@stanislas69 Thank youuuu! :) Sorry for our nitpicking

29 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

5a64a82f272cb_012118-MeroiticPikemen.thumb.jpg.f4ccbd8dcbdce065fc54410c9a3d92ef.jpg

Mmmmm, yeeesh :) Very good. Tier 2 could also get that hypothetical simple necklace. I'll try to come up with something, I came up with something:

5a64b5415a9b6_simplenecklacekush.png.2f0f7f0d1feb79cbb4792cd525a0a295.png

Necklace only:

5a64b5448b0a3_Kushsimplenecklaceonly.png.4d7d04d8523ceacd7bb44633ff7b2cf3.png

Good?

10 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Capture12.PNG

I have a non gold version of the shield too @Sundiata but I'm not sure on who should get it.

Wowie... I love it! Luuuve it! I'm running out of compliments guys... It's for the hero Nastasen and champion cavalry. Maybe champion cavalry could get a silver/steel looking variant instead? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackyserious said:

Which round shield would be used by the basic and advanced ranks? Is it the Hellenistic pelte?

Pikemen: Euhm, the tier 1 & 2 versions should have a small round shield, not modelled yet... Tier 3 should get the Egyptian style cowhide shield. I don't know what the shield is made of or how it's decorated :/ I have no idea.. Just the shape I know: round... And it's attached to the shoulder!

Napata relief

5a64bfda4369f_Kushitepikemensmallroundshield.thumb.jpg.89ccfec108635465b57f6d3416fb6be3.jpg

Edited by Sundiata