===[TASK]=== Kushite Units, Unit Textures, and Unit Props

wowgetoffyourcellphone

3 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I think Noble Archers (or Meroitic Royal Archers, or whatever) should get the scale corselet like the other champions.

Idea. What if they're Noble Archers and Noble Cavalry first, then they have tech that upgrades them to Royal Archers and Royal Cavalry? The Apademak/Amun champs have their own techs, so maybe they could too.

Some primary references for the long robes for traders

5a63515f32dc1_Kushitelongrobes2.jpg.d17198c11b61f3650f3fc32d17e36ed3.jpg

5a63516932857_Kushitelongrobes5.thumb.jpg.e8b8bbcfb1992a3c58588f1b7abf7786.jpg

5a63515b58112_Kushitelongrobes1.jpg.e9d772f6dc5ff01db048f8b9cf804800.jpg

5a635164c8ebd_Kushitelongrobes3.thumb.jpg.c029acb7ba05ec93e5b4a354d8214a65.jpg

5a6351d1231ba_Kingdomofkushkushitereliefsnobilitynoblesinlongrobes.jpg.71fa0d5a67ea40a54e7be88a7deeb3c1.jpg

Highest tier Meroitic Pikeman:

I believe we can do something nice for the pikemen. A few of the reliefs or graffito show a pikeman with a long robes, kind of like the Persian and Egyptian spearmen. Why not give the highest tier pikemen a long white loincloth for the lower body, stretching to the ankles, and a short sleeved (or no sleeves) quilted cotton vest for the torso, quilted cotton skullcap, Egyptian style cowhide shield attached to the shoulder. Basically just like this Egyptian marine in Xerxes army, but Kushified [disregard his shield]:

5a6354436577d_EgyptianmarineinXerxesarmy.thumb.jpg.16e4e59372cc915a3ffcfd763efcc219.jpg

The Kushite equivalent from Musawwarat:

5a6368dc70f89_kingdomofkushkushiteGraffitiofmeroiticpikemanatmusawwaratalsufra.jpg.11662ce5454df598ca55f84fd7d78212.jpg

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Idea. What if they're Noble Archers and Noble Cavalry first, then they have tech that upgrades them to Royal Archers and Royal Cavalry? The Apademak/Amun champs have their own techs, so maybe they could too.

Not too shabby... Though I think temple-guards should have scale armour from the get-go.

Edited by Sundiata

37 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Highest tier Meroitic Pikeman:

I believe we can do something nice for the pikemen. A few of the reliefs or graffito show a pikeman with a long robes, kind of like the Persian and Egyptian spearmen. Why not give the highest tier pikemen a long white loincloth for the lower body, stretching to the ankles, and a short sleeved (or no sleeves) quilted cotton vest for the torso, quilted cotton skullcap, Egyptian style cowhide shield attached to the shoulder. Basically just like this Egyptian marine in Xerxes army, but Kushified:

5a6354436577d_EgyptianmarineinXerxesarmy.thumb.jpg.16e4e59372cc915a3ffcfd763efcc219.jpg

#1- @stanislas69, @LordGood, @Enrique: Long tunic meshes, both male and female, need their UV mapping fixed, for they mirror the bottom half of the long tunic, which is not desired. m_armor_dress's UV map looks to be even more scrwey:

Spoiler

s1qiyIH.png

#2 - @Sundiata: Surely the pikeman shouldn't have a shield that large. :) I remember seeing one of your references [a temple painting/sculpt?] where the pikeman depicted had a small round shield, almost Hellenistic in nature, though the image was rather basic and low detail.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Surely the pikeman shouldn't have a shield that large

Definitely not, sorry if I was unclear, I was purely talking about the attire. Indeed small round shield is perfect for tier 1 and 2, I think. Then tier 3 get's the Egyptian style cowhide shield stanislass made (same one as the Apedemak's temple guard). Just remember it's attached to the shoulder...

Meroitic Pikeman:

• tier 1: medium length loincloth, bare torso, small round shield
  • tier 2: medium length loincloth, cloth armour for torso, small round shield (or Egyptian style cow-hide shield)
  • tier 3: ankle-lenght loincloth/robe, quilted cotton vest, Egyptian style cow-hide shield, quilted cotton skullcap 

The small round shield could be a scaled down version of the current Ptolemaic placeholders used. Perhaps a simpler, different shield texture is in order?

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1

@Sundiata

What about the units with linen body armor? Which accessories should I use to complement it? Should I leave it plain and without any accessories like in the references you provided?

List of available accessories (Amount/size may vary)

• Bronze necklace bands
  • Painted beads
  • Bronze bands
  • Strap/sash with ethnic patterns
  • Bronze bands (Leg)

@wackyserious 

• Tier 1 should ideally only have small beaded necklaces (single string of modest beads, can have colours, sorry, but ideally we need a smaller variant of beaded necklace :/ ). 
  • Tier 2 can have those larger painted beads and bronze bands for the legs
  • Tier 3 can have whatever combination of things your heart desires :) 

except, I think the "Strap/sash with ethnic patterns", let's call it "the Nubian sash", should only be used for Nubian units, and perhaps Nuba units, but not the Napatan and Meroitic ones. It's kind of archaic, so it fits well with the more basic units.  

so, Nubian Sash for tier 2 & 3 of:

• kush_infantry_archer
  • kush_infantry_spearman
  • kush_infantry_clubman 
  • kush_infantry_merc
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

@wackyserious 

• Tier 1 should ideally only have small beaded necklaces (single string of modest beads, can have colours, sorry, but ideally we need a smaller variant of beaded necklace :/ ). 
  • Tier 2 can have those larger painted beads and bronze bands for the legs
  • Tier 3 can have whatever combination of things your heart desires :) 

except, I think the "Strap/sash with ethnic patterns", let's call it "the Nubian sash", should only be used for Nubian units, and perhaps Nuba units, but not the Napatan and Meroitic ones. It's kind of archaic, so it fits well with the more basic units.  

so, Nubian Sash for tier 2 & 3 of:

• kush_infantry_archer
  • kush_infantry_spearman
  • kush_infantry_clubman 
  • kush_infantry_merc

@wowgetoffyourcellphone already made a decent amount of textures for the Nubians, I will just add the ones for the Kushites

• Like 1

@stanislas69 Nice... Real nice... Remember that Apedemak's temple guards get the scale corselet. Was that lion head an existing prop?

@LordGood The axe is actually the correct type. Epsilon axe is very archaic by this time, although I agree bronze axe and bronze scale together would look awesome! Style vs historicity, I have no strong feeling about either in this case. Epsilon axe looks better... Current axe is more historical... What to do?

[edit]

Kushites were still using bronze axes a lot during our timeframe, so perhaps the current axe could get a bronze re-tuxture to match his bronze scales? Interesting solution, or nah?

Edited by Sundiata

50 minutes ago, LordGood said:

get that man an epsilon axe, is that current axe in SVN?

It is, that's a mauryan  axe.

38 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

@stanislas69 Nice... Real nice... Remember that Apedemak's temple guards get the scale corselet. Was that lion head an existing prop?

No. I just made it. I'm not as skilled as the guy @wowgetoffyourcellphone mentionned, but I did what I could. @wackyserious didn't assign them.

Kushites were still using bronze axes a lot during our timeframe, so perhaps the current axe could get a bronze re-tuxture to match his bronze scales? Interesting solution, or nah?

Sounds doable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

With the armor :)

Captur6e.PNG

so_good.jpg.dbe375f117524547278f2a5e46f9b7c1.jpg

[I guess you'll fix the loincloth though? I know, silly question... And what's up with the saturation on his armbands]

5 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Would this work as a texture for the other Kush hero?

5a640b5fbe170_012118-KushHero(2).thumb.jpg.0d544e62b3d179e72d6775b1200a3bd6.jpg

Yes it will :) A suggestion though, for this particular version:

5a640b5f4b994_012118-KushHero(2).jpg.049dbee979e26389afc331bafe9917ac.jpg.85c7d136e5e916e0f2b8f8f3f48ebf3e.jpg

Based on the Egyptian style from which the Kushite scale evolved:

5a645ec527eea_Tiaa-06-Pharaonscalearmour.thumb.jpg.6257eaa4ed3c3f9f7197e0351ce8b95f.jpg

Just now, wackyserious said:

About to upload this to the mod, any final comments? @Sundiata

MEROITIC SWORDSMEN (Pike infantry will also use this textures following Sundiata's suggestion)

5a645d024a991_012118-KushInfantry.jpg.f5f56edc3977b41a3c9acc90e0061d18.jpg

Gorgeous!!! BUT, please delete all the zebra hides from anything Kush-related. :D