Napoli Pass (V2.0)

MOUP9Kcz

Introduction

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, thanks for clicking on this topic. This is my first map in 0 A.D. and I am suprised that I actually made it beacuse most of the times I will leave this kind of stuff half done and never finish it. This map took me aprox. 2.5 hours or 3 hours.

Description

On the map there are 2 teamed up Gauls against 1 Roman

1st player (Roman): The Roman is surrounded by indestructible "terrain wall" with 2 entrances that are covered with Roman gates and 2 towers on each side. Than the Roman starts with 1 Civil Centre and 2 Barracks, several skilled warriors both infantry and cavarly 400 of each resource. Now for the more "grim" side of the Roman. The Roman has a strong neighbor Gaul (3rd player Gaul).

2nd player (Gaul): In far corner from both ally Gaul and enemy Roman, than the Gaul has few skilled warriors, close to trees, stones, berries and wildlife. But than the Gaul has not much of space to build and can get to the Gaul and Roman only trough Gaia towers.

3rd player (Gaul): Very advanced against its Roman neighbor with Stone walls and most of the buildings already built. But the 3rd player Gaul doesnt get much of soldiers and resources (only 250 food).

Other

If you have any feedback please write it down in the comments I will gladly read it.

Version 2.0 (Thanks to fcxSanya)

This update doesnt bring up any huge changes, just something small that I made on it in the past hour

+ Terrain on whole map was elevated at some points

+ The both terrain walls and cliff got new texture

Roman player starts with some trees behind the terrain walls and stone/iron inside the walls

Roman city is little bit reworked to look better

Screenshot (Only V2.0): http://imgur.com/a/BEZNX

Napoli Pass V1.0: Napoli Pass.xml.913e1a1e543ed281.xmb

Napoli Pass V2.0: Napoli Pass V2.xml.b6783488e53a0f7d.xmb

Edited by MOUP9Kcz
Version 2.0

On 09/08/2017 at 2:50 PM, MOUP9Kcz said:

This is my first map in 0 A.D. and I am suprised that I actually made it beacuse most of the times I will leave this kind of stuff half done and never finish it.

It helps sharing the maps (and other content) on the forums, this way you can encourage yourself to push a bit to finish an early version / prototype, then potentially get some feedback / ideas for further iterations. And even if there won't be much feedback and / or you will abandon the map after the initial published version, you or someone else may revise it later or gather some ideas from it.

xmb is a cached version of xml. You should share both (original non-cached) xml and pmp files.

This is the first version of the map so if you have any suggestions, ideas or feeling that theres something wrong on them map please write down in the comments I will gladly read it.

I'm not a map-maker myself (nor a much active player), so I can provide only limited feedback. I think the overall idea (player roles and placements) sounds interesting gameplay-wise, but visually the map is very simple / repetitive. Some random suggestions:

1. it looks like the Roman city has one (single) texture and everything else (besides the cliff and the mountain-walls) is another single one; try to mix multiple textures in those two areas and maybe add some different regions (like a bit of snow on the north of the map or on higher areas or vice versa some desert / steppe areas).

2. add some landscape details, like roads, rivers / streams, ponds

3. fill the Roman city with something, either landscape details (texture changes from #1 will somewhat help, but something else is needed also) or maybe slight terrain elevation changes, some eyecandy etc.

4. mountain-walls look very artificial, maybe you can embed them into a more naturally looking mountain-range?

5. the cliff is very plain too, try to vary its geometry slightly, mix a few textures, maybe add a few actors (trees, stones etc.) here and there.

Edited by fcxSanya
Typo ('steepe' -> 'steppe')
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fcxSanya said:

1. it looks like the Roman city has one (single) texture and everything else (besides the cliff and the mountain-walls) is another single one; try to mix multiple textures in those two areas and maybe add some different regions (like a bit of snow on the north of the map or on higher areas or vice versa some desert / steepe areas).

2. add some landscape details, like roads, rivers / streams, ponds

3. fill the Roman city with something, either landscape details (texture changes from #1 will somewhat help, but something else is needed also) or maybe slight terrain elevation changes, some eyecandy etc.

4. mountain-walls look very artificial, maybe you can embed them into a more naturally looking mountain-range?

5. the cliff is very plain too, try to vary its geometry slightly, mix a few textures, maybe add a few actors (trees, stones etc.) here and there.

Thank you for the feedback. Looking back I see that its missing few things. And as I am thinking of it, could you please give me feedback about my other 2 maps if you have the time.