Getting elephants through a fence

rugk

IMHO the pathfinder is still not that good. E.g. here I ordered the elephants just to go through the fence, but for some reason some (or, at least, one) turned back, went away, turned again and only got through the fence afterwards. (I did not manually order that, this was done "automatically").

The same thing seems to happen when the bigger group of elephants cannot go through the houses. They go back again and try again. This looks really silly…

BTW: Why cannot I use (Unicode) emojis here? (Wanted to use :elephant:…)

elephantsThroughDoor.webm

I've also had elephants refuse to go through a gate, choosing to go all the way around the map instead. They were behaving similarly erratic, as rugk described. Formations were off. It seems that they get confused when other units are already passing through the gate. It does look a bit silly, and can mess up your game if they decide to go all the way round, through enemy territory, just when you're not paying attention.

I thought this was a known pathfinder issue though...

Edited by Sundiata

(Plural word for entity) with oblong hitboxes (Rams, and especially Boats) are notorious for ruining the pathfinder. It's not just limited to Elephants.

Edited by sphyrth
I got censored for the plural word for "entity"... Well after the "en" part that is.
  • Like 1

So many units just can't find their way through but normally they should be able to. It's just a matter of putting extra effort or making constructions right especially if your units are big. This should not happen if maybe path finding is better or in case of structural obstruction corners should be made in radius. Maybe the unit feet or whatever you call that can't be a polygon. 

I experienced 3 elephants can't go thru structures but the gaps were enough. With patience I was able to get them through though I was playing with the bots. If you're in multiplayer it's either you delete the obstructions or the units if it's not possible. 

• Like 1

No formations IIRC. And yes, may also happen with rams and yeah, boats are also a very difficult thing for the pathfinder as it seems. So this is not limited to any specific object/animal/…, but rather a general problem with the pathfinder… Sometimes also other things just "got stuck" somewhere or so.

5 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I've also had elephants refuse to go through a gate

Such donkeys! ;)

• Like 1

Units getting stuck happen many times. I would suggest the developers make provisions so that when this happens the player becomes aware. Like maybe blinking. RoN has this blinking on units when they are stuck. You will be behind a couple unit production when this happens. I remember spectating  a decent game and around 5 citizen soldier/women can't produce in a minute because one woman got stuck. 

Edited by Servo
  • Like 1