Lag and Optimisation

Gyrion

Am a massive lover of 0 A.D so please dont take what I say as hate or nasty I am simply just addressing some issues I have faced with the new 22 update.

I have found even with further lowering my graphics the moment my troops move and I mean like even 1 or two they are jittery and laggy. The new graphics look great but are not very well optimised and it removes a demographic such as myself with more lower end pcs to not be able to play the game we love due to the issue of graphical lag. I run games like Fallout New Vegas or Counter Strike GO fine and on pretty good graphic settings but even on the lowest settings 0 AD is atleast currently too laggy and would really benefit from optimisation before adding any new features, units etc. So people like me and others who have low end PCs can play this amazing game again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gyrion said:

Am a massive lover of 0 A.D so please dont take what I say as hate or nasty I am simply just addressing some issues I have faced with the new 22 update.

I have found even with further lowering my graphics the moment my troops move and I mean like even 1 or two they are jittery and laggy. The new graphics look great but are not very well optimised and it removes a demographic such as myself with more lower end pcs to not be able to play the game we love due to the issue of graphical lag. I run games like Fallout New Vegas or Counter Strike GO fine and on pretty good graphic settings but even on the lowest settings 0 AD is atleast currently too laggy and would really benefit from optimisation before adding any new features, units etc. So people like me and others who have low end PCs can play this amazing game again.

As @Lion.Kanzen said, the main reason is the pathfinder. But it also could be the renderer issue, do you have lags on a game start? You could enable FPS counter to see your FPS.

• Like 2

First thing is to go into the options and enable the show FPS option. (It will appear as a little overlay.) This will allow you to more objectivity evaluate performance issues.

Try a variety of maps to see if you notice a difference. (Some maps I can't play without a lot of lag and some maps run well.) Also, smaller maps run better, so try a small map with fewer players.  Turn all the graphics options off and if possible run the game in windowed mode with a lower resolution. (Most of this can be done in the options, but setting the window size requires editing the config file.)

Once you get it to run smoothly, start selectively adding features back to see what is causing the issue. I have found that on integrated graphics, the water features dramatically lower my framerate. The resolution also greatly affects the framerate.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin
  • Like 2