• siege workshop
  • barracks
  • archery range
  • cavalry stables
  • chariot stables
  • camel stables
  • elephant stables
  • dog kennels

Isn't that a little overkill? Siege workshop, archery range, cavalry stables for all civ's: definitely yes!

But chariots and stables seems like a logical marriage. Camels and stables? Close enough for me. How many different camel-units is a single civ going to train anyway? Elephant stables, perhaps yes. Dog kennels: meh, a tech/upgrade called "kennels" at the barracks should do, I think.

I like differentiating fishing hut, trading dock, and military shipyard, but then again, I'd also like to see a dedicated economic structure (civ-specific economic speciality) for every civ, as a pre-requisite for trade between markets, or allies. But that's a very tall wish-list, and only very few people actually modelling and coding in the possibilities... 

My excitement will jump through the roof if/when the stables and archery ranges are implemented for all civs... :) Perhaps the other stuff can come only after that.

Spoiler

I think it would be nice for subsequent building-models to focus on the historically iconic structures/monuments/historic special buildings of each civ. I don't see why unique buildings should be limited to 1 or 2. They're the perfect way to diversify the civs, and create unique abilities/playing styles for each. I also don't see a problem in one civ having only 2 special buildings, and another 4 for example. There's plenty of ways to balance these things. So a civ like the Romans can have all it's iconic structures including the Colosseum, and make them feel more bombastic, like real Romans. Gauls, Britons and Iberians for example would have only 2 special buildings because they're weren't really the greatest monument builders. This would add some nice contrast between the Mediterranean civs and the "barbarian" civs. 

By the way, i know the Colosseum was only completed in 80AD, but 0AD's timeframe is chosen so utterly randomly, without any regard to what was actually happening around the world in that time, it is something that shouldn't be dogmatically adhered to, in my opinion. Romans without the Colosseum, or Imperial overtones in late-game,  is a bitter cookie for Rome-lovers coming to 0AD... I'd argue to expand 0AD's base-timeframe beginning  from around The Bronze Age Collapse (1200-600BCE) and advent of the Iron Age, all the way through to the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, and the onset of the dark ages. There'd be so much more possibilities for a single game! (Neo-)Assyrians, (Neo-)Babylonians, Germanics and Dacians for example....

Edited by Sundiata

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

Ideally

is what I wrote directly above that list :)

37 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Isn't that a little overkill? Siege workshop, archery range, cavalry stables for all civ's: definitely yes!

Different people have different opinions (personally I don't want an archery range, for example). I'm not saying all of those listed have to be buildable in “0 A.D. Empires Ascendant”, however, creating and including them (unused) in the main distribution would certainly be helpful for modders.

In Ancient warfare infantry, cavalry, chariotry, elephantry, camelry, and artillery were all separate branches, organized independently and operated differently, therefore it would make sense to have separate structures for each of them (I already did this in my 0abc mod, hence the need to display more than 24 icons in the gui).

37 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Camels and stables? Close enough for me. How many different camel-units is a single civ going to train anyway?

At least two camel units (archer and spearman), potentially more (supply, cataphract, etc.)

Likewise, if someone would want to extend 0 A.D. into the Archaic period (c. 800-500 BC), e.g. the Assyrians would have at least four chariot units (light/heavy melee/ranged).

Furthermore, the Britons already have a dog kennel and the Carthaginians a distinction between commercial dock and naval shipyard; why only they?

Again, I'm not saying 0 A.D. should use all those buildings; however, at least having the art would be great.

• Like 1

Well, I typically agree with you, fatherbushido, even if I do not always quite understand what your (cryptic) messages mean :)

2 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I kinda agree but what's the role of those buildings? training a couple of units only from each building may be dispersive ( look at carthaginians ), on the other hand there could be dedicated technologies to research for an arbitrary class of units, eventually trained from such a building.

Unlocking champions from barracks through a technology make training champions quite easy as long as it is 1-time research only tech.

Replacing that technology with a barracks upgrade  into an advanced one would replace old trainable units with champions only, obviously trainable from the upgraded barracks only.

• seleucids may choose between 2 upgrades:  traditional advanced barrack and  reformed advanced barracks
  • iberians may choose between 2 upgrades:  towered barrack and advanced barracks

There could be more blacksmiths [ melee blacksmith, armorsmith, ranged blacksmith ] where to research class specific techs.

Edited by Grugnas

6 hours ago, Grugnas said:

barracks may upgrade into a specialized building in order to train champions instead of citizen soldiers for a fair amount of metal and stone.

Why stone?

We're already dealing with a laundry list of 37 buildings. I am doing work for the base game, let me be clear. Any benefit to modders is coincidental aside from Terra Magna, but don't mistake that for contempt, you've all proven to be quite snappy when it comes to experimenting and implementing alternative features.

I'm only modelling these between job applications. If things fall off it means good things for me, and I don't want to dump a huge list of tasks on the art department.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, LordGood said:

I'm only modelling these between job applications. If things fall off it means good things for me, and I don't want to dump a huge list of tasks on the art department.

Nice how is it going ? Have you looked on glassdoor ?

I'm getting my hopes up but I applied for Ubisoft as programmer and it's going alright so far to become my finals year internship.

• Like 1

I've been using Indeed, never heard of glassdoor until now. If you can intern for a big company like that, put it on the top of your resume lol

Just now, LordGood said:

I've been using Indeed, never heard of glassdoor until now. If you can intern for a big company like that, put it on the top of your resume lol

Definitely will lol. I think if anything I will owe my entrance to those 6 years of 0AD.

I found the job offer on glassdoor :)

• Like 1

By the way, could someone remove those obelisks from the Ptolemaic Civil Centre and Military Colony? (Pairs of obelisks were erected only at the most important Ancient Egyptian temples (before 1000 B.C.), not at the average Hellenistic settlement.)

Necios mod is really really nice except that some structures were borrowed from other Civs art just to produce specific units from specialized combat units (just played Seleucid, eles and cavalry stables from maurya and Persia respectively but it works training units; good start; and using a blacksmith art as siege workshop).

With the help of the art people modders can really have more interesting game. Hope these art people could stay from time to time even if they found real jobs. 

Barracks for melee foot units, archery range for all range units, stables for all melee cavs and siege workshop for siege units. Bonus camelry, elephantrry, or chariots structure will be nice too. If some players complain of too much requirements needed to train winning combo units so be it but hope these beautiful artworks won’t go to waste. More structures could also effect a good gameplay if planned properly.  

I got this error with the most recent svn:

ERROR: Failed to find matching prop point called "garrisoned" in model "art/meshes/structural/spart_sentry_tower.dae" for actor "sentry_tower"