Hellenizing the Ptolemies

LordGood

6 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

Meanwhile, any news on the final few steps on hellenization of the Ptolemies? Colonnaded courtyards etc.?

Not much more that what @LordGood has committed recently :) You should check SVN out one day 

7 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

I have read all of the available literature and all Latin/Greek sources, and am making models of the Alexandrian palaces and libraries, exterios of which could be made into buildings for 0 AD with reduced details/polycount.

Sounds good. Anything to show for it  ?

7 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

PS. Does anyone by chance have a 3d model of a Graeco-Roman bench, like the ones from Pompeii/Herculaneum with "lion-feet"?

Not that i know of.

2 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

Stock models are all hopelessly inferior, hellenistic architecture models on offer, regardless of price tag, show exactly why people without a real knowledge of the subject cannot be trusted with creating models. This is where 0 A.D. really stands apart, so ΚΥΔΟΣ to all who put in the efforts to actually get a grip of architectural elements, and who got so much right.

Thats because $ Artists offer a model and say "take it or leave it" whitout really investigating just because "it sells". They could do better because they have better rigs. Certanly i would take the task of sculpting the athenas statue but i bet it will be too much for my HD4000 crappy rig wich stutters almost on everything.

Best artists are often F2P or Modders like Skyrim, Total War Saga or even Dawn of war. They put effort because they play it and they love it, just like we do with 0.A.D. i've started because i've liked all the ancient era stuff and want to improve (as far as my low end rig allow me) the assets i see, and here we are, with tons of helmets, shields, animations, models. Would someone else pay a guy for a 3D corinthian helmet wich probably would be totally innaccurate? Or better yet, use spartan models using braces because yes, because thats what the artist sold.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

ptol_cc_inspiration.jpgptol_cc_inspiration2.thumb.jpg.6e457158aae90b0658911f21f4dbdfdd.jpg

The statues could actually replace the 2 side obelisks. One statue can be Isis as shown (she was heavily worshipped in Egypt and eventually in Rome) and the other statue can be Serapis (the patron god of Ptolemaic Egypt, combining the Egyptian gods Apis and Osiris with the Greek deities Zeus, Hades, Asklepios, Dionysos, and Helios; he had powers over fertility, the sun, funerary rites, and medicine).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, let's let the Ptolemies have access to two Wonders. The Temple of Edfu (already in) and also the Lighthouse of Alexandria as suggested. On land-only maps the player would just build the Edfu wonder. On water maps, they have the option of the Lighthouse as well. Or we can have a new PlacementType called shore-land allowing it to be built either on the shore or on land.

Spoiler

7615.jpg?v=15695182725c95bff0b48254c33f26eeab6efeafc3.jpgmaxresdefault.jpglighthouse-of-alexandria-3d-model-low-po

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, MrLux said:

I like the light house wonder idea. do you have the source of your images, mostly the last one seems to be a 3dmodel of low poly. Did'nt see it in the game.

You've not seen the Ptol lighthouse in game? It's mostly good, would just need some tweaks for accuracy and scaled up a bit. Maybe some texture work too. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Ayol said:

A Palatial sort of building as a Civ Center could hint at the Ptolemies vast wealth.

Something like this can meld the Egyptian and Greek styles together. It's "fantasy" from Assassin's Creed: Origins, but it does combine the 2 styles in a very successful way, and mirrors the current CC a little bit.

20181227093703.jpg

27e920979112613cdf6927cefbf35bc4.jpg

9a0ad51e4cab93990ff60424ff6fe9cc.jpg

• Like 1