Unit (help) info description.

av93

This post was inspired by this one.

Currently, units only have in the description, the classes that belongs to. As before in previous alphas, I think it will be useful have a description for them when hovering the unit portrait both when selecting and for training the units.

Although we've discussion a lot for the units roles and I'm not a favour about the actual design, I think that it's needed a written clarification about them in-game, for both new players and people that hasn't or don't want to check the numbers. Players need why train infantry melee A and not infantry melee B.

That's my initial suggestion, based on actual stats (not my design proposition idea):

Skirmisher: Fast ranged unit with a powerful piercing short ranged attack. Useful for hit and run tactics or close combat support.

Slinger: Ranged infantry with a medium attack and range. Good as a standard ranged infantry.

Archer: Long ranged support infantry, with low attack but effective against light armoured infantry.

Spearman: Standard melee infantry, with a 3x bonus against cavalry. Good as main infantry or defensive line against cavalry.

Pikeman: Slow infantry, effective as a shield wall against damage, with a 3x bonus against cavalry.

Swordman: All-rounded melee infantry with a fast attack and movement. Effective against other melee and caught ranged infantry

Cavalry swordman: Melee cavalry with a fast attack, good against unprotected ranged infantry, spear cavalry and raiding.

Cavalry spearman: Shock cavalry with fast movement with piercing armour* that uses a powerful but slow attack.

Cavalry skirmisher: Ranged cavalry that combines the strong attack of the javelin and the mobility of the horse. Useful also against all cavalry.

Cavalry archer: Ranged infantry that combine the supportive long range of the archer and the mobility of the horse.

EDIT: *With this phrase I wanted to empathize that cav spearman have better pierce armour than sword cav, but still a low number.

Edited by av93
  • Like 4

Well, my objective with this topic isn't to debate about gameplay design or counters (so I don't need a sheet), just to put in-game the roles that are intended to do the current units and their stats. I made a sample for starting the discussion, but seems that there's no interest in this proposal, at least in this moment. There's no problem in that, but I think that it would be helpful for the average player.

Description can change (I made them with my personal test, and maybe the meta in multiplayer is different, I dropped to play a lot, but I like to stick here).

I want to say that I tried to understand how to make an diff., but failed to. I created a ticked and I wanted to upload a patch (cause I know to edit .xml) to make that thing by myself...

Here's a sketch with my bad photoshop skills.

description sample.png

s0600204 is working on the browser that shows information of selected units. That includes the history strings. Some of them contain the information you have described above and it is proposed to separate the gameplay advice from the historical information. So in case we go with that, we might want to come back to your proposal.

• Like 3