Hyrule Conquest

This is the main reason that working with the svn version is advised as usually your mod will just not be ready until the next stable version is released(never enough time:rolleyes:) and your svn client alerts you to which files have been changed so cleaning up your own code becomes easier and most of the time only a few number of files are affected BTW using the svn on Windows does not mean you have to compile the game engine as a Windows auto-build is part of the updates.

Enjoy the Choice :)   

I guess you should really start using SVN, so you don't run into lots of issues when a new release shows up, but only have to fix a few things while the changes are still well understood and the people who changed things are around.

Full error output would be nice, see GameDataPaths for where the logs are stored. Being able to look at what your mod looks like would also be nice. (Try using some version control system, and having that somewhat public would help with debugging things.)

To disable your mod (assuming you don't just want to rename/move your main menu files), just delete the user.cfg file (see the wiki page linked above for where to find it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leper said:

Full error output would be nice, see GameDataPaths for where the logs are stored. Being able to look at what your mod looks like would also be nice. (Try using some version control system, and having that somewhat public would help with debugging things.)

I downloaded SVN Tortoise, the newest pyrogenesis exe, and I'm installing visual studio (taking an insane amount of time to install)

I'll attach the mainlog here:

mainlog.html

EDIT: Would I be able to redistribute the pyrogensis.exe with new releases of my game? I realized a problem with using the dev build is I would have to base all my mod's releases on when 0AD releases a public version. I have a really frequent release schedule for updates and I don't know that I want to tie my releases around 0AD's public stable builds. 

Edited by The Undying Nephalim

1 hour ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I don't know that I want to tie my releases around 0AD's public stable builds. 

I don't blame you.

Problem is that releasing the development exe is slightly risky. Can't be sure what bugs are lurking. Only the alpha releases are reasonably assured to be stable. I can image though maybe you could verify the current build with the team before you make a release. Also, do what they do, and work out a standard release workflow that includes a 'release candidate', where you have a few friends test the build and work out kinks before you release.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Well I've still had no luck at all fixing anything. The new update seems to have literally broken everything for my new civ. Units are no longer showing up as trainable in buildings, my worker units wont even spawn and their icons are blank. Everything was working fine and now nothing.

I guess I'll start with this:

<p class="error">ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: units/hylian/hylian_town_guard_b:1: Element Attack failed to validate content</p>
<p class="error">ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: units/hylian/hylian_town_guard_b:1: Expecting an element Entity, got nothing</p>
<p class="error">ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: units/hylian/hylian_town_guard_b:1: Invalid sequence in interleave</p>
<p class="error">ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: units/hylian/hylian_town_guard_b:1: Element Promotion failed to validate content</p>
<p class="error">ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation failed for '(null)'</p>
<p class="error">ERROR: Failed to validate entity template 'units/hylian/hylian_town_guard_b'</p>
<p class="error">ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: (null):0: Extra element Melee in interleave</p>

Any idea what's going on here? It seems to be tied to the template I'm using. When I change it from a spearman to an archer they magically work and show up as a training option in my barracks.

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Assuming the new review process is okay, and I think it is new commits shouldn't introduce new bugs only new features. So the Dev executive files should be as stable as an alpha version can be.

You cannot prevent all bugs. They always occur. You can only try to reduce the number of bugs introduced.

• Like 2

Comparing my template files to the new ones in 0.22, it seems this new line might have been the problem:

<PrepareTime>1000</PrepareTime>

This seems to have been absent from the template files in 0.21, and needed in 0.22 template files. Adding it into my template files seems to have fixed most of my units. My buildings are still messed up, but I'm guessing there's probably similar additions to building template files that I need to add in my files. Is there some sort of changelog with a list of things that changed between 0.21 and 0.22? It might be able to help me narrow down some things.

I apologize if it seems like I exploded, I just got a bit irked when I had finished a civ only to have the whole thing explode in my face because of a version change. :blush:

Edited by The Undying Nephalim

You don't have to build the exe yourself since we do have windows autobuilds in the repo, which means that you don't need VS.

Would I be able to redistribute the pyrogensis.exe with new releases of my game? I realized a problem with using the dev build is I would have to base all my mod's releases on when 0AD releases a public version. I have a really frequent release schedule for updates and I don't know that I want to tie my releases around 0AD's public stable builds.

If you also provide the source code (required by the license). I guess looking into how we package the game itself would be a good idea, you might want to look into the files in source/tools/dist. A word of caution though as there is a higher likelihood for bugs (OOS especially, since the dev version is less tested in multiplayer) when using random snapshots.

I mentioned using a VCS earlier, using branching would allow you to support the latest stable version and work on the next one without too much difficulty. In some cases you might run into issues when new code needs to be added to the engine (read c++ side), so you wouldn't be able to add those things until a new stable version is released.

There have been a few discussions about separating engine releases from game releases, which would help with a frequent release schedule. However most simulation related changes don't require c++ changes, so just shipping newer JS components should help with frequent relases. So you'd just have more recent JS code in your mod, and wait with adding certain features that require c++ changes until a new release is out.

• Like 4

I believe you just have to make the source code available; providing a location to download it should be adequate. I don't think you even have to host it yourself.

You are probably better off tying your (public) releases to ours unless you plan on modifying the engine. You could still work off of the dev version. This would require your players to download the dev version here first and then apply your mod.

Mods don't require any packaging. Packaging is only needed if you want it to appear as a stand-alone game. Packaging is a decent amount of effort. I wouldn't think you would want to tackle that until your mod is further along.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, leper said:

Check out the Upgrade component. Since the entity schema documentation is currently waiting on someone to update it (yes, I'm totally not using this post to get work on that going again), you might want to read the top of simulation/components/Upgrade.js to know what you can use.

Shouldn't it be in wiki and generated automatically, like doxygen?

25 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

Shouldn't it be in wiki and generated automatically, like doxygen?

The issue is it needs a compiled version of the game to generate it. I have a patch that I will be able to work on again now that the release is out. There will be documentation for the latest SVN and for the latest release once it's up.

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Yes you can. You can even do that with units ask @wowgetoffyourcellphone for examples.

Sentry towers ended up being the example I needed, looks up building upgrades work flawlessly.

Here's another sort of related question, is it possible for a tech to replace props that are attached to specific units? For example a tech that replaces all the Shields on a unit with a new and better looking shield prop?

Well you could make a tech that upgrades every unit ^^ I'm not sure you can update specific props that way, and we don't handle promotions using variants so I don't think you can do it exactly like you intend and like it was done in other games ie AOM. now as @leper said having the documentation updated would help answering.